Fw 3.0 - Help With Skins, Utility Menu, Etc

rootag

Still Fresh
I just got my GP2X with FW 3.0. After reading on these boards, wiki, etc. it seems to be apples and oranges from FW 2 to 3. I can't find a way to drop in skins or run the Utility Launcher or anything. There is no Utility menu at all. Only the Games menu seems to allow access to the NAND local memory space, all others only offer SD or external access.

Has anyone figures out these things on FW 3.0? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

As a fellow new(bie) GP2X owner whose unit also arrived with FW 3.0, if I may add onto this thread:

- Are other FW 3.0 users having trouble reading their SD cards?

- Is there a definitive "downgrading" guide available? I tried to load up my SD card with FW 2.0, placed it in the GP2X and switched it on while holding down Start and Select, but it booted up as per usual. Like rootag, I'd like to be able to see the Utility menu and add skins as well.

Thanks in advance!

This is a firmware designed for noobs (in my opinion it just makes things worse). So:
1. There is no program to make skins for fw 3.0 and theres no space left on the NAND for it because of all the games they preload.
2. They replaced the utility menu with a "help" menu. Its no big deal though, just rename .gpu files to .gpe and run them with the games menu.
3. Yep, they figured you don't need to access the NAND becuase they filled it with games. It is possible to access it though, you can telnet into the GP2X or use Sterm, but you need basic knowledge of the linux command prompt (remember DOS?, didn't think so).

It is however possible to downgrade to 2.1.1 To do this you must first install 2.0.0, then 2.1.0, then finally 2.1.1. This should be fairly easy to do, all you do is extract the files from the installation package of 2.0.0 and reboot while holding start + select, then repeat for 2.1.0, then finally 2.1.1. But if you do this you should plug your GP2X into a power supply, becuase if the batteries die during a firmware "update" you now have a brick.

Since the bootloader for 3.0 and 2.x are the same, don't put the file named gp2xboot on the SD, this way you have no chance of bricking your GP2X.

But if you do this you should plug your GP2X into a power supply, because if the batteries die during a firmware "update" you now have a brick.
On the other hand there could be a power cut while updating - I decided this was more likely than a set of fully charged batteries going flat.

Yeah I got new FW3.0 Gp2x recently, deciding after a day, FW3 was only causing me inconvenience, and downgraded to 2.0. shortly proceeding to 2.1.1. You can access the NAND memory using usb slave mode. It's in the "Control Panel" under usb.

If the FW is having difficulty reading an SD card, its unlikely to be able to downgrade/upgrade using it. I had not difficulties.

I'm going to be downgrading to 2.0 for sure. The 3.0 firmware is all well and good for looks, but i hate the help menu being there, especially as i have now totally erased the NAND of the junk they put on there and loaded it up with things i want, the help menu is just dead space. I just need to wait for my SD card to come :(

Also there is no need to rename .gpu to .gpe for it to show up in the games menu, files of .gpu show up just fine on 3.0 firmware game menu.

I played around a little more and read your posts, and these are some findings:

1. NAND comes full with the preloaded games, so there is no room for adtl files, etc. So I copied the games to my PC and then back to my SD. I ran them all to make sure, and then formatted the NAND from the System menu.

2. The skins created for 2.1.1 don't even seem to work. The icons are of a different size. I created a 'skin' directory on my newly formatted NAND and dropped a few .gps files. The backgrounds and some screens look good, but the main menu icons are too big or in the wrong place. So in short - you need to create new skins for 3.0

3. NOTE: When in the system menu make sure you move format NAND back to OFF before saving (B), as I had my NAND formatted again after selecting a skin.

4. Yes, you can run .gpe and .gpu (renamed) from the games menu, so I guess you don't need the Utility Launcher.

rootag posted on Feb 19 2007 at 10:57 AM said:
4. Yes, you can run .gpe and .gpu (renamed) from the games menu, so I guess you don't need the Utility Launcher.

Mate there is no need what so ever to rename .gpu to .gpe they both run fine as is from the game menu. I thought i had to rename them on my gp2x because there was no utility menu, however on 3.0 firmware the game menu doubles as the utilities menu :)

EDIT: Evil typos :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hows the battery life compare between FW2 and FW3, anyone know?

I'm thinking of downgrading for the lessened boot time, but I'm wondering if FW3 has any enhancements to battery life.

Auritribe posted on Feb 20 2007 at 08:17 AM said:
Hows the battery life compare between FW2 and FW3, anyone know?

I'm thinking of downgrading for the lessened boot time, but I'm wondering if FW3 has any enhancements to battery life.

Ah, whatever, I downgraded anyway and I'm glad I did. The boot time difference was definitely worth it.

Looks nicer too imo. But I'm minimalist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back