Fw 3.0 Modify Boot Screen

Cervante

PS3 ID: Cervante1
Website
Visit site
Anyone here kind enough to tell me how I can modify FW 3.0 and insert my own custom Boot Screen? Many appreciations for anyone's help. Dont worry if im risking bricking the unit , Ill buy a J-Tag cable if it happens.

Anyone here kind enough to tell me how I can modify FW 3.0 and insert my own custom Boot Screen? Many appreciations for anyone's help. Dont worry if im risking bricking the unit , Ill buy a J-Tag cable if it happens.

What screen do you want to change?

Changing the U-Boot screen (1st screen on power up) requires rebuilding the bootloader from source. Hard as the code GPH have released on there SVN is incomplete anyway.

Changing the Linux kernel boot logo requires rebuilding the Linux kernel again from source. The bootloader and kernel in the 3.* firmware are exactly the same as the 2.1.* versions just with changes to the user space apps.

Unless you’re happy rebuilding apps from source you will find changing the logos somewhat difficult. You will also need a full kernel tool-chain setup and working before you can do any of this.

I can dig out the locations of the header files you need to create if your determined (there just normal BMP2C style encodes of bitmaps) but believe me it’s a real pain in the arse if your not happy with fairly low level hacking about with the code.

The last thing worth mentioning is updating the bootloader with a homemade one is almost definitely going to brick your unit a few times as you work things out, fix build bugs, repair the source etc. :).

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to change the U-boot screen and the secondary screen that follows.Lime green or in this case the new FW 3.0 start up screen.

Now do you recommend re-building the source in a full Linux enviroment or emulated one? I can go right now to my local Hardware guy and buy a KVM to load up Red-Hat on my second tower.

What Kernel tool chain do you reccomend? FAQ guides is a plus, closest thing I got to programming was basic VB and SQL.

If you find the header thats awsome, ill check online how to encode BMP2C bitmap or if you already have that information thats awsome too.

Bricking & un-bricking the unit shouldnt be a problem in this day in age. Building a J-Tag to purchasing the Dev Board, multiple harware options to repair a unit.

so this j-tag cable will this work on a psp (i just bricked mine :( )

A bricked PSP is a totally different beast to a GP2X so that would be a nope ;).

There is no jTAG outputs onto a user accessible socket for a start (unlike the GP2X) and what jTAG pads there were on the board Sony kept moving around with the hardware revisions (and removing them all together in the current models I think).

A totally bricked PSP is not designed to be recovered, sorry. That said if it's not a total brick there maybe some hope but it is sure as hell not the topic of this thread.

Changing the U-Boot screen (1st screen on power up) requires rebuilding the bootloader from source. Hard as the code GPH have released on there SVN is incomplete anyway.

Oh, no, it doesn't require that.
A user from the German boards once built a U-Boot bootup-screen replacer (I needed that for a customized boot-screen at the Games Convention).
It works, however, it's only suited for one specific U-Boot, so I wouldn't want to try that out with the new 3.0.0 one...

Last edited:

Oh, no, it doesn't require that.
A user from the German boards once built a U-Boot bootup-screen replacer (I needed that for a customized boot-screen at the Games Convention).
It works, however, it's only suited for one specific U-Boot, so I wouldn't want to try that out with the new 3.0.0 one...

Ed, that's cool.

Got the source handy? Should be easy enough to hack up for another U-Boot.

John

A bricked PSP is a totally different beast to a GP2X so that would be a nope ;).

There is no jTAG outputs onto a user accessible socket for a start (unlike the GP2X) and what jTAG pads there were on the board Sony kept moving around with the hardware revisions (and removing them all together in the current models I think).

A totally bricked PSP is not designed to be recovered, sorry. That said if it's not a total brick there maybe some hope but it is sure as hell not the topic of this thread.
:( thanks tho

Back