Fzx32 Released

Excellent work Ryleh (like always :) ), the GP got a new perfect emu thanks to you :)
THANKS ALOT :) & Merry Christmas to you :)
don't forget to restore abit in these days ;p
Many thanks again :)

The speccy isn't typically my cup of tea, but nonetheless, thank you Rlyeh for an absolutely stunning emu for it :) - and with chatboard support too :). Somehow I envision myself playing a little bit of boggit sometime in the not too distant future :)

Try this list out for some of the best games...

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/bestgames.html

Being from the UK and growing up with the Spectrum i'm very fond of the graphics/sound and speccy games of that era

Some of the games are just so playable, eg Chuckie Egg, Manic Miner. Some of the arcade conversions i actually like seeing it on a simpler platform, eg Commando, Bombjack etc

Great great emulator

I'll be using this one a lot, some great speccy games to take me back yet again

try some of these :

Starquake
Saboteur
Spellbound
Dan Dare
Pyjamarama and its sequels
batty (the best ever arkanoid clone)
zynaps
rex
Starstrike
skool daze/back to skool
turbo esprit
spindizzy

These are all incredibly playable games and are just a small few from the speccys
huge collection.

Lightforce is a great shoot em up and destroys the myth about the Speccy and colour clash.

I really love the arcade hits Ikari Warriors, Commando and Bombjack.

So many great games for the Speccy, filesizes are tiny as well

That website (World of Spectrum) is an exceptional website and yes the roms there are legal

how do u change the controls??

I put Chuckie Egg on and "A" made him run Right and "Up" made him run Left and "M on the chatboard" made him jump ?????????

Steve-O posted on Dec 27 2004 at 07:49 PM said:

I put Chuckie Egg on and "A" made him run Right and "Up" made him run Left and "M on the chatboard" made him jump ?????????

Simplest solution is to use the redefine keys option inbuilt in Chuckie Egg..you then just waggle the joystick for the required directions and fire button.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I'm not happy about this. Why not? fZX32, as it admits in the readme, is based on code licensed under the GNU GPL from various places, including my Spectrum emulator, Fuse. Yet it's released without source, in violation of the GPL. Sorry, but "soon" isn't good enough - I've seen that enough times and never seen the source.

Hence I'd request that people don't download this until the source is released.

Thanks.

pak21 posted on Dec 28 2004 at 04:50 PM said:
Personally, I'm not happy about this. Why not? fZX32, as it admits in the readme, is based on code licensed under the GNU GPL from various places, including my Spectrum emulator, Fuse. Yet it's released without source, in violation of the GPL. Sorry, but "soon" isn't good enough - I've seen that enough times and never seen the source.

Thanks.

Ha ha...don't download this amazing emulator because it violates the GPL.....yeah right. Come on cut Rlyeh some slack, its not like he's taking all the credit for the emulator, or trying to sell it. He's stated thats its based on certain emulator sources and released a binary *FREE*. When he has tidied up the sources he WILL release them, you can count on that.

If you want the source code that bad just send him an email and I'm sure he'll sort something out for you.

Reesy

Reesy posted on Dec 31 2004 at 11:28 AM said:
pak21 posted on Dec 28 2004 at 04:50 PM said:

Thanks.

Ha ha...don't download this amazing emulator because it violates the GPL.....yeah right. Come on cut Rlyeh some slack, its not like he's taking all the credit for the emulator, or trying to sell it. He's stated thats its based on certain emulator sources and released a binary *FREE*. When he has tidied up the sources he WILL release them, you can count on that.

If you want the source code that bad just send him an email and I'm sure he'll sort something out for you.

Reesy

Right on :D

Finally got around to trying Fzx32. As I expected from rlyeh, it's fantastic. I can still appreciate these ancient games even tho (being an American) I never had or even saw a real Spectrum at the time. But compared to the 8bit computers I did know about it's pretty cool and there's seemingly an endless array of software produced for this thing.

Thanks again rlyeh for another superb emulator. It's also good to see you and Reesy sharing ideas and coding tips, DrMD and Fzx32 both have mutually benefited (i.e. animated saves, triple buffers, split screen fix etc.) which is cool to see.

Steve-O posted on Dec 27 2004 at 07:49 PM said:

The default controls i think are set to either Kempston joystick or the Cursor joystick on the Spectrum (5 = left, 6 = down, 7 = up, 8 = right and 0 = fire).

For most games select either Kempston joystick (So everything is set already) or if you cant re define the keys like someone said elsewhere

Chuckie Egg really is a brilliant simple game

Back