Beta Game Editor

WizardStan

Mega GP Mania
PND here
Games here (of course).
Sound doesn't work, but it doesn't work on my desktop either. Or I was unlucky enough to try a bunch of games which don't have sound for some reason, I dunno.
It can load .exe, .linux, .dat, probably all the other formats. If you download a .ged package, first you need to export it to one of the binary formats, then it'll run.
Of note, this is a little slow. Most games are noticeably slow, even overclocked, but a few I tried ran reasonably well. There may be an obvious bottleneck to get around. Also, controls are whatever the game says they are. If WASD are your movement keys, that's what you use. Looks like a few games have control settings, so those'll let you reconfigure for the Pandora's keypad, but most of them seem to just assume you've got a normal keyboard and go with that. Sorry, not much can be done in that regards at the moment. Also also, most games run in a window, because that's how they were designed. I don't know if there's an easy way to change that or not.
Please test. Make suggestions, I'll see what I can do.

And now it contains the editor itself as well. Can only export dat files, not Windows, Linux, or GP2X files, but otherwise it seems to run great.

This looks very, very cool .. why is this not getting as much attention as it should? Isn't this *THE* Game Editor that a lot of people are waiting for on the Pandora, which will allow very easy game creation?

I'd really love to hear from someone who has pushed this to the limit about what it can be used to make, what its good for, and so on ..

torpor said:
This looks very, very cool .. why is this not getting as much attention as it should? Isn't this *THE* Game Editor that a lot of people are waiting for on the Pandora, which will allow very easy game creation?

I'd really love to hear from someone who has pushed this to the limit about what it can be used to make, what its good for, and so on ..

How funny, just found this post.

Man alive!

So exciting!

This is certainly going to get a LOAD of attention from me!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going away for the weekend, but promise (as much as I can promise anything) that I'll get sound working next week.

WizardStan said:
I'm going away for the weekend, but promise (as much as I can promise anything) that I'll get sound working next week.

Awesome, thanks!
That's the last thing I was waiting for before I wanted to start working on games :D

Last edited:
Haven't had the time to look at it as much as I'd hoped. I've poked at it and think I found the problem, but haven't had the time to fix it yet, sorry. Blame real life and Minecraft.

What about speed? How does it run? If it runs well enough, perhaps even I could make a little something for the Pandora...

RARG! This makes no sense! *shoots SDL*
I've got it running on my desktop fine with sound, but no sound on my Pandora and I can't find a reason for it. When it works in one it should work in the other, that's the whole point of using SDL to abstract away. *grumble*
As far as speed, it is a little slower than on my desktop, but I bet games specifically geared towards the Pandora's resolution and restrictions would run great.

edit: Ok, I feel better. The sound is failing because there's no /dev/sequencer device on the Pandora which is used for midi. When the /dev/sequencer device fails, the rest of the sound system fails. I think I can fix this to at least get sound working, but it'll need more rewrites to use the timidity installer, unless sebt3 can somehow hack in the device...

WizardStan said:
RARG! This makes no sense! *shoots SDL*
I've got it running on my desktop fine with sound, but no sound on my Pandora and I can't find a reason for it. When it works in one it should work in the other, that's the whole point of using SDL to abstract away. *grumble*
As far as speed, it is a little slower than on my desktop, but I bet games specifically geared towards the Pandora's resolution and restrictions would run great.

edit: Ok, I feel better. The sound is failing because there's no /dev/sequencer device on the Pandora which is used for midi. When the /dev/sequencer device fails, the rest of the sound system fails. I think I can fix this to at least get sound working, but it'll need more rewrites to use the timidity installer, unless sebt3 can somehow hack in the device...

Well, for me, Midi isn't that important. As long as it can use MP3 / OGG for music, that's fine :D

Last edited:
Oh yeah! I put it aside cause it was driving me crazy and started working on other projects. And kinda forgot to come back >.>
I need a secretary. Ok, back to work, let's get this sound working!

And speed! Improve speed! Do that and I'll finally start making games for this thing.

Also, is it possible to PND up a Game Editor game like you can with Ginge?

I would LOVE to get excited about this but without a Pandora it's like cheering for a launch title on a console thats not out yet.

WizardStan said:
Oh yeah! I put it aside cause it was driving me crazy and started working on other projects. And kinda forgot to come back >.>
I need a secretary. Ok, back to work, let's get this sound working!
Ok I have my Pandora how much cash will it take to get this working 100% correctly ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back