Game Of The Week #2 (jan 22nd)

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
At the time of the first one (last week), I figured the goal would be to bring up games that were really nifty but under-known, or popular but forgotten games.. and to try and avoid 'obvious' big names everyone has already likely tried. I also figured to avoid more complex platforms since they might be harder to obtain games for or be hard to operate and this isn't the thread for educating folks on how to operating an Altair or the like :) Still, for this round I've revised a little..

o platform -- something emulated on GP2x (and ideally GP32), but not super obscure (ie: X68000 is too obscure and in that case not emulated, but you catch my drift.) So maybe Amiga and ST shoudl be okay, but even they're a little obscure for those weho've never used them

o games -- once popular but now not so much, or should=-have-been popular, or great classics often overlooked. Like the first game-of-the-week I posted Major Havoc -- historically important, a very good game, but never remembered due to the popualrity of Asteroids and Tempest and such clouding it over.

o interpreters -- okay! SCUMMVM and the like are viable platforms, so expect to see those come up :) AGI etc, too, possibly.

Game of the week - Jan 22
-------------------------------

Perhaps this is obviously, so I'll provide some backup selections.

Super Sprint -- variations too: Championship Sprint etc

Try the arcade original in MAME (with scaled screen, a little harsh), or a very good port to the Atari ST in OutCaST/CaSTaway. The ST version is a very faithful adaptation and runs very well on GP32 and GP2x. (If you need, I can list off crack-group-names who feature the game, but I won't help you find the disk images.)

Its a top down racing game, with some powerups for your racecar as you win. Very cvool in the arcade on a steering wheel, but still good on joystick on an ST.. and via emulation with the handheld controls, still works very well (though a bit easier(!!)).

Alternate ST platform game of the week: D/GENERATION is very cool, but I didn't have time to find my copy to try in the emus .. works great on my ST ;) A action/shooting puzzler as you move from floor to floor in a biohazard building. Classic! Another backup option is the shooter Xenon 2: Megablast, a perennial ST classic. Its such an obvious ST big-name, but for folks who've never used an ST, try it out. (Also on Amiga, with better theme music.)

See you next week!

jeff

i remember getting right into D/GENERATION on my 1200. What a game.

Packed with atmosphere, a real challenge too.

Back