Game Challenge Of The Week - Jan 15th

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
I imagine some of you are a bit bored, so heres a quickie suggestion for the week - try a new game out. Something you've not played, thats obscure or interesting, but sitll highly rated.

My suggestion for this week:

MAJOR HAVOC - Atari color vector (the last vector game made by any company possibly?)

It should be playable if memory serves under the 2x MAME thanks to Franxis; I know it worked on the GP32 version at some point :)

Whats your highest score? How many levels could you beet?

MH is a vector game, that plays like a platform game at some points and has some very clever animation. (Get your guy bored near a wall and he'l chill on the wall for instance.. classy stuff for such an old game.)

Backup game from Atari to try? Gauntlet -- how many levels can you clear with solo play?

jeff

I imagine some of you are a bit bored, so heres a quickie suggestion for the week - try a new game out. Something you've not played, thats obscure or interesting, but sitll highly rated.

My suggestion for this week:

MAJOR HAVOC - Atari color vector (the last vector game made by any company possibly?)

It should be playable if memory serves under the 2x MAME thanks to Franxis; I know it worked on the GP32 version at some point :)

Whats your highest score? How many levels could you beet?

MH is a vector game, that plays like a platform game at some points and has some very clever animation. (Get your guy bored near a wall and he'l chill on the wall for instance.. classy stuff for such an old game.)

Backup game from Atari to try? Gauntlet -- how many levels can you clear with solo play?

jeff

Hmm.. nice game, runs without any problem on Mame. Just had one quick game and reached 38500. Probably a rather pathetic score :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting a level or two in isn't too hard, but it ramps up _fast_!

jeff

I wonder, if I post another game next week.. will anyone care ;)

I'll join in soon. Great idea Skeezix. Even if it takes a few tries (weeks) to get people started, keep it up!

I hope to; even put an alarm into my PDA to remind me :)

I'm sort of debating which platforms.. arcade is an easy one since MAME is pretty omni-present these days; pulling out an obscure Speccy title would make some UKians happy, but make North Americans say 'what the hell is that?' ...

So maybe stick to primary platforms; Arcade (MAME, not CPS2 yet, but allow Neo Geo), C64, Adventures (like SCUMMVM), ...

jeff

I thought about Amiga and ST, but I don't want to be egocentric and pimp my own shizz for instance. More to point, Amiga and ST nerds know where to find disk images, but despite they're seemingly being easy to find for me.. non-Amiga/ST people can never seem to find them :)

jeff

*shrug* We'll see :)

What a perfect choice, skeezix. Partly because I'd never played the game before, making this a brilliant new experience for me, and partly because it's the perfect type of game to go for high scores. Each time you get a little bit further (a paltry 41,116 on the second go, but I will play more later).

I love the little mini-breakout game on the transition screen :)

Just to say this game is awesome, i discovered it last year when i built my Mame cab - it is a true gem of a game - once you get into it you are hooked, amazing for the year it was made in!

UK Retrogamer (Galaxian front cover) mentioned it last month - interview with the guy who wrote it - and I had a quick play then. I'm useless at it though.
Remember playing it back in... the 80s sometime :)

Back