Game Of The Week - Trivia Challenge

What was the first game system available for home consumer purchase that had dedicated hardware scaling, zooming, warping for game objects (sprites)?

What was the first console to have hardware for texture mapped 3D object capability?

What did these have in common as far as the hardware designers? What did they design before these two systems?

1) Snes

2) Playstation

3) The CD Rom add-on for the Snes ?.

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
was it the atari lynx? (a great console, btw!)
I'm not sure of the rest of the question, though... but probably atari related...
Yes, you got that part right.

What was the first game system available for home consumer purchase that had dedicated hardware scaling, zooming, warping for game objects (sprites)?

What was the first console to have hardware for texture mapped 3D object capability?

What did these have in common as far as the hardware designers? What did they design before these two systems?

In order: Lynx, 3D0, Dave Needle + R.J. Mical and the original Amiga. Probably. Maybe. Possibly. Perhaps.

DING DING DING! WINNER!!

thmb_cm921234athumb.jpg

You got them all. You win the DaveC l337 n3rd tr0phy!

Yes the Lynx was the first console you could buy to have hardware scaling, tilting, skewing of objects. Load up the Lynx emu and try Blue Lightning for a good example.

It wasn't SNES, that came later and it could only really scale the background. It was tricked later to look like a boss or object but it was really the background.

3DO was first to have texture mapped "3D" in dedicated console hardware. SNES did have the super FX chip in the cart but that wasn't really in the console and was mostly flat shaded.

The designers of the Amiga created the Lynx and 3DO, that is what they had in common.

On a sad note the other thing they had in common is that all of the systems they designed were failures in the market. The Amiga was killed by the PC and Mac, Lynx was crushed by the Gameboy, and the 3DO taken out by Nintendo SNES and eventually Sony. None of them really had decent market share and always struggled in sales compared to the competition.

I would question that last bit, DaveC. While the Amiga eventually died out, it was a huge success for most of its life and absolutely dominated the 16bit home computer scene.

I would question that last bit, DaveC. While the Amiga eventually died out, it was a huge success for most of its life and absolutely dominated the 16bit home computer scene.

I guess it depends on where you live.

In the US it never got very popular. The PC was the big thing and the Mac less so. Very few stores sold the Amiga. It was basically only sold in small low volume computer hobbiest type shops. Large chains and computer dealers only had PC and Mac. Businesses were almost exclusively PC and schools Apple. The Amiga was thought of as a "toy computer" for games and wasn't taken too seriously. It had a small niche in the video market though.

Easy-peasy question:

What was the first game that Mario appeared in called?

OK, total geek question - what were the three type in games from the user manual of the VIC-20?

Yow!

One had a giant asteroid (white) coming down the screen (black); I remember it had a typo in the book, so you had to 'fix' it to get it to work. That made a lot of coders, I think :p

jeff

That was one of them. I think another one had a row of rockets at the bottom, with a descending spaceship going across the screen, coming down a row at a time, so you had to time your launch so the rocket hit the spaceship.

I can't remember the last one - I was hoping somebody would know the answer! :D

What is the smallest cartridge based handheld that has been commercially produced?

What was the name of the weapon used in Dungeon Master to destroy the bad wizard (a level above the dragon)? What was the wizards name?

What was the sci-fi game inspired by Dungeon Master?

Aside: "Virus" was a great damned game on the ST (and Amiga, among others.)

jeff

What was the sci-fi game inspired by Dungeon Master?

Do you mean Hired Guns, or is there one before that?

Aside: "Virus" was a great damned game on the ST (and Amiga, among others.)

Yep, but very hard to get used to the controls. Have you tried Zeewolf, a later spiritual successor on Amiga?

Back