Gameboy Micro Can Play Gameboy Color Games!

invinciblegod

I always knew when i bought my micro that it wont be able to play gameboy color games. However, I inserted my supercard (a gba flash cart) and loaded zelda oracle of seasons, it ran! It was slightly glitchy but it was still playable. My question is since the gb micro lacks gb hardware, how are the games able to run at all? shouldn't they like crash from the absence of the cpu they try to use?

Why would it need that? shouldnt it just try to play it natively? it was released before the micro came out i think.

There is no way of switching to GB mode from GBA mode (or reverse) other than to press the mechanical switch in the cart slot as far as I know, they are totally separate.

There is no GB mode on the Micro. IIRC, part of the reason it's so small is that they left out the GB hardware that wasn't needed for GBA mode.

Also, even on regular GBAs, the Supercard and M3 need to use an emulator because as Orkie said, the GBA goes into GB mode when a switch in the cartridge slot is depressed (notice the notch on GBA carts? That's to avoid pressing that switch). On top of that, the SC/M3 firmware likely won't run in GB mode. Some older flash carts can be used to play GB games without an emulator though, if you have a "bridge" device that will push that switch down.

supercard's emulate a few systems, just pop your rom on to your sd card and your away, i definitely know you can use pc engine, nes, master system roms, not sure about genesis.

shinneri said:
CUPC4KES said:
supercard's emulate a few systems, just pop your rom on to your sd card and your away, i definitely know you can use pc engine, nes, master system roms, not sure about genesis.
Even the miniSD version?

yeah thats the one i have.

Last edited by a moderator:
The GBA emulators suck, not only because of their speed but also because of the crappy resolution. I think gameboy is the only one that is not downscaled, NES doesn't run fullspeed, and the Genesis emulator on the DS is fairly slow without sound. I would definitely not use GBA or even DS for emulators, at least as I have a GP2X that rocks ^^

Miika said:
The GBA emulators suck, not only because of their speed but also because of the crappy resolution. I think gameboy is the only one that is not downscaled, NES doesn't run fullspeed, and the Genesis emulator on the DS is fairly slow without sound. I would definitely not use GBA or even DS for emulators, at least as I have a GP2X that rocks ^^
The NES emulator on the DS does run fullspeed however and has features that the GP2X NES emulators do not (like rewind) with a better battery life too. The scaling isn't noticeable for most games as there are some options to keep more on the screen seemingly at once (don't know exactly how they work, but they do nevertheless).

Orkie said:
Miika said:
The NES emulator on the DS does run fullspeed however and has features that the GP2X NES emulators do not (like rewind) with a better battery life too. The scaling isn't noticeable for most games as there are some options to keep more on the screen seemingly at once (don't know exactly how they work, but they do nevertheless).

Yeah I know, but I meant it's not fullspeed on GBA. NesDS does lack one of the sound channels though, don't remember which.

shinneri said:
NES plays quite nice on my micro as far as I'm concerned. And you can't beat the portability of the micro. ;)
I agree. I use my micro only for NES and SMS playing on the go. :)

Back