Gameking: First Impressions

Gruntfuggly

Mostly Harmless
Website
www.zaonce.com
Well it's just arrived, and I've had a quick go of 3 or 4 games (I'm at work).

It's not as bad as you might think - the sound IS good, and the graphics are fairly bad, but it is quite playable. It sort of feels like an over-evolved game and watch. The controls have that very slight delay that you associate with LCD based games of that era.

Build quality is pretty slack. The power LED doesn't line up in it's hole and unit feels very light. It has two shoulder buttons which aren't actually buttons and don't even move - the styling is a blatant copy of the gameboy advance!

There is a contrast control, which is useful, because with no built in lighting, you'll need to carefully position the screen to see whats going on - especially if the game scrolls.

The games are as follows:

Drifter (Mario style side scroller) [built in]
2003 (1942 clone) [built in]
Miner [builtin]
Aries
Dino Adventure Legend
Carlo Adventure Legend
Seatercel
Trojan
Feichuan
Soldier
Supermotor (motorbike racer)
F1 2004 Racing
Street Hero
Penguin
Street Hero

Some of the game descriptions are fantastic translations. From 'Penguin'...

"Have you ever gone to the south pole? Do you watch the penguin running? If never, now you have chance to control the running of penguin. Hurry up and go to touch it."

Full reviews of each game to follow...

I think the best game by miles is the excellent 'Soldier' which is metal slugish.

Try to get past level 2, the middle east level.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

hmm... I dont seem to have super ball either :huh:

I have:
soldier
dodder or popper
duck man
aries
lanneret
feichuan
penguin
dino
supermotor
carlo
seatercel
trojan

I also noticed that there are 37 games for the gameking (on the box)...

I've checked and there are a couple of extra games suddenly, i think they are *new* which means they are still making games for this thing - i'll count how many diffrent ones there are - it could be of course that they have just changed the box art and the games are the same.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

I will see if they are actually diffrent games or just box art (as you will have noticed the box art has nothing to do with the game) then i'll put them all up at like £1.50 each.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

Hey Kedo - whats Happy Ball? I haven't got that one...

Hi Gruntfuggly

it's a pacman style game. You play "the happy ball" and must collect "food". You have to avoid enemies, only chance to fight them is to press B. That makes a hole in the plattform and your enemies fall into the hole and can't move anylonger. Overall a nice game :-D

I have had a little play around... and it isnt too bad on some games, I particuarly like the shooters. I would really like to see a dev kit or a hardware mod of some sort for it though.. that would really be a nice touch :)

"3 years old children will be supervised by adult when play the game."

Oooh, it comes with a free adult?

mixed bag really... it probably wouldnt be something I buy if I had a go at it before hand though.....

Oh they are proper playable games, the best one by miles is soldier, the loderunner one is pretty good too.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

Back