GamePark Advance?

If GamePark was willing and ready to bring out a new GP would you want it now?

• Yes dammit, I want it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not right now, sometime in the close future

• Maybe in a few years

• No not ever

• Total voters

Dozer

Efram the retarded rabbit
Website
lawrencewithaw.tumblr.com
Theres been a lot of talk in the wishes threads about a new ideal GP. I was just wondering whether everyone wanted a new GP. For example i have just got mine and i believe that if a new one came out then all the hardcore gp developers would go for that and development would stop on the current GamePark. So... would you like an update?

The free community hasnt fully attained the current gameparks capacity anyway, not even the commecial scene, as all the stuff they make is in 2d up to now.

Certain it'll happen as long as this one does fairly well in Europe. And we keep bugging them.

But I'd hope they'd be able to avoid the "Advance" name - Ninty might have a go at them (if the system does at all well, then they'll be chomping at the bit to find *any* chink in Gamepark's armour). Supposedly called the GP64 atm, but we'll see...

I've voted no not ever because I believe the old skool emulation would drown on a new version of the console. Part of the fun of the GP32 is seeing how far it can be pushed, and I think there is a long way to go yet.

I don't think it would be a good idea, because it would result in the GP32 scene being split in half, which would of course be bad as there are hardly any of us anyway

As long as it is completely compatible with the original gamepark, and just has a faster processor, I don't see a problem. And in all likelyhood, all they will do is upgrade the ARM processor of the gamepark. It is all off the shelf hardware and ARM is basically state of the art. There is no 64 bit ARM competitor looming off in the distance.

All that will happen is the the original gamepark will run the new advanced games and emulators more slowly. I imagine the upgrades will more like upgrading a p3 to a p4 rather than a NES to a SNES. Or at least I think they would be stupid if they didn't do this.

This will result in developers spending less time optimising their code for the GP32 and we could be left without the emulators/ports that we really want

dogstar posted on Jul 12 2003 said:
As long as it is completely compatible with the original gamepark, and just has a faster processor, I don't see a problem. And in all likelyhood, all they will do is upgrade the ARM processor of the gamepark. It is all off the shelf hardware and ARM is basically state of the art. There is no 64 bit ARM competitor looming off in the distance.

All that will happen is the the original gamepark will run the new advanced games and emulators more slowly. I imagine the upgrades will more like upgrading a p3 to a p4 rather than a NES to a SNES. Or at least I think they would be stupid if they didn't do this.
Actually there is a competitor to ARM. Sony aren't using ARM they're using another company I can't remember the name of right now. Might be MIPS actually.

Last edited by a moderator:
Twimfy posted on Jul 12 2003 said:
Actually there is a competitor to ARM. Sony aren't using ARM they're using another company I can't remember the name of right now. Might be MIPS actually.
But if Gamepark WERE to make an upgraded system is a couple years, they'd surely use a backwards-compatible processor. Even Nintendo was smart enough to make the GBA compatible with GBC and GB games.

I posted a rather lengthy workup in the wishes forum of what the next gen GP could be. That could be fully backwards compatible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would do, eventualy. I guess it might not cost much more than current imported FLU, if you could get it direct from the UK. As all the ARM11 is fully compatable with our old workhorse as well. the 400mhz version kicks out a lot of grunt as well, and they re starting to add 3D acceleration modules to it. It's a nice thought for the future, before the GP32 gets swamped by all the handhelds/phones coming out (I did a thread talking about these, somewhere). I think an upgrade to an ARM11 with 3D, would be more like going from a low end P1, to a P3 with a voodoo card :)

A new GamePark would have to take a while before it's released. Not necessarily before it's developed, but before they start manufacturing and retailing it. They should try and make it to use both Compact and SM cards, though, so that people don't really have to go and completely buy new storage media for just an upgraded system. And it'll probably be backwards compatible software-wise anyways. But, once again, if a next-gen GP was to be developed, then it should not be released for some time, like 2+ years.

The PSP will have the market sown up by then, along with whatever successor nintendo is preparing for the GBA. I'd release the GP now as a fairly budget machine, and then release a successor within a year, and sell them concurrently- with the GP32 aimed at the lower end (GBA killer) of the market, and the GP64 aimed at the high end (PSP). To get software out there fast i'd get a lot of games licensed from GBA and pocket PC developers now. I'd also pay someone like craig to prefessionaly port quake (with wireless multiplay) and sell it commercialy (with all the wads, and maybe expansion packs)- that would grab the PC fraternity.

i buy game park for two reason, emulators and divx player. Im minted so id buy whatever plays them at full speed. i wouldnt want any emulator better than a snes.

the joystick would hopefully be replaced with a pad and more fire buttons for snes emu

Im ready for one to come out in the near future (a year maybe) but dont want one yet, because gp32 can still grow. And I want people to stick with it for a while.

It all depends on the PSP.

If the PSP is easily hackable (like the dreamcast) and there are burners for those funky little disks available, then there will be no need for a new GP32.

If Sony meant what they said about the PSP being the next walkman and EVERYBODY having one, they'd encourage open, 3rd party development. They could encrypt the commercial games (like GP does, only they'd probably want to do a better job of it ;) ) but still make dev kits available for freeware and shareware authors. This would increase their game library and interest in the platform immensely.

More likely, Sony will have some iron-clad encryption scheme to prevent piracy, and consequently homebrew games and emulators. In this case, there will be a market for an "open" handheld to compete with it.

I lose more and more interest in sony with each new thing that they come out with.
I felt like ps2 was a waist of my time and psp could be too. Anyone else feel the same way?

true but sony doesnt seem to give a shit about the old players.
After all the american stupid masses have decided that sony = COOL JAPANESE POKEMON SUPER DUPER CRAZY DRAGON BALL Z HARDCORE R0X0R J0 B0X0R shit.
and face it. Theyve got more history, developers, cash, and the stupid masses.
I mean it does make sense. Theres no market for hardcore sticklers

the PS2 is a waste as its not exactly amazing. I mean, I haven been infatuated by any of the 12-14 games Ive played on it (not much but still.).
Their port of Grandia 2 was crap too. I'm sticking to the DreamCast.
The PSP will definitly win out if it IS indeed real though i highley doubt that their specs for it will be the real specs for the PSP.

I hate people.

Back