Games That Worked In Mamegp2x 2.5 No Longer Work In 2.8/3.0

Tommy

Still Fresh
I had my favorite MAME games happily working in 2.5. Upgraded to 2.8 and they stopped working. I switched back to 2.5 and the same games still fail with an "unable to open ROM" error. Now I have 3.0 and same problem.

Is there a preferences fill I'm missing somewhere? Is there a special procedure for upgrading MAMEGp2X?

Some games do work in 3.0, such as Mario Bros., Robotron, Tempest, and Tutankham.

The ones that don't work that worked previously (same exact .zip file) are:

Congo Bongo
Crystal Castles
Defender
Food Fight
Gauntlet 2
Gorf
Gravitar
Gyruss
Joust
Marble Madness
Q*Bert
Qix

Thanks for your help.

- Tommy

Tommy posted on Oct 10 2006 at 06:36 AM said:
I had my favorite MAME games happily working in 2.5. Upgraded to 2.8 and they stopped working. I switched back to 2.5 and the same games still fail with an "unable to open ROM" error. Now I have 3.0 and same problem.

Is there a preferences fill I'm missing somewhere? Is there a special procedure for upgrading MAMEGp2X?

Some games do work in 3.0, such as Mario Bros., Robotron, Tempest, and Tutankham.

The ones that don't work that worked previously (same exact .zip file) are:

Congo Bongo
Crystal Castles
Defender
Food Fight
Gauntlet 2
Gorf
Gravitar
Gyruss
Joust
Marble Madness
Q*Bert
Qix

Thanks for your help.

- Tommy

All of those games run perfectly in MAME GP2X 3.0. Check the SD Card, the ZIP files, format the SD card and copy again the executable and the ROMS, delete old configuration files, take care with the RAM tweak (test if it works, maybe in some GP2X won't work)... It is very strange... Check the batteries xD (maybe you are overclocking too high and the batteries are running out), what is your firmware version? try it deleting the mmuhack.o file also.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same sort of problem with neogeo emulator..

I copied the files off the SD, reformatted it, replaced the files and it was fine after that.. Puzzling; no idea why it happened.

Let us know how you get on.

Out of the ones that you have listed, I am running,
Defender
Food Fight
Gravitar
Gyruss
Qix

and they are running great in Mame 3.0. :huh:

Hi Franxis,

and thanx a lot for your MAME_GP2X, but at least there are 2 games that doesn't work anymore (program hangs at start):

Crazy Kong (set 1)
Crazy Climber (US)

I still have trouble with Elevator Action.

It registers a coin entry (via the confirmation sound), but no credits appear on screen, thus the game can't start.

The official response seems to be,

"Well, it works fine for me."

TelcoLou posted on Oct 10 2006 at 10:31 PM said:

It registers a coin entry (via the confirmation sound), but no credits appear on screen, thus the game can't start.

The official response seems to be,

"Well, it works fine for me."

1) Well, did you download again the MAME GP2X 3.0 archive?
Read in http://www.talfi.net/gp32_franxis/
IMPORTANT: If you downloaded the files before 07/Oct/2006 - 20:00 GMT, download them again because an stupid bug has been corrected. Thanks, Suj, for the error report.
I put some messages in the forum that day to warn about the problem with the controls...

2) Did you try the RAM tweak? Maybe you are having stability problems with it. Disable it.

I don't know anything more to say... They should work... :blink:

Tell me if the problem gets solved please. Regards.

Franxis posted on Oct 10 2006 at 07:07 PM said:
1) Well at did you download again the MAME GP2X 3.0 archive?
Read in http://www.talfi.net/gp32_franxis/
IMPORTANT: If you downloaded the files before 07/Oct/2006 - 20:00 GMT, download them again because an stupid bug has been corrected. Thanks, Suj, for the error report.
I put some messages in the forum that day to warn about the problem with the controls...

2) Did you try the RAM tweak? Maybe you are having stability problems with it. Disable it.

I don't know anything more to say... They should work... :blink:

Tell me if the problem gets solved please. Regards.

1) Yes, I downloaded it 3 times to be sure I got the latest release.
2) Yes, I tried with and without, same issue ... I also tried different versions of the game, all have the same problem.

* Of note: I was able to improve the sound in Battlezone by deleting the samples .zip ... now the annoying loud noise only happens when moving your tank, when before it played immediatly upon starting the game.

All these issues appeared from 2.8 on.

Thanks again for all your hard work and dedication, and I apologize If I seemed nasty or rude in any way ... real life has been a bite in the ass for me latley :(

TelcoLou posted on Oct 10 2006 at 11:41 PM said:
* Of note: I was able to improve the sound in Battlezone by deleting the samples .zip ... now the annoying loud noise only happens when moving your tank, when before it played immediatly upon starting the game.

I will check Battle Zone, and i will solve it. Maybe the samples interface has not been deleted in the driver, this game does not need samples (it was improved by Slaanesh for MAME GP32).

All these issues appeared from 2.8 on.

I have tried again Elevator Action. I have played succesfully "Elevator Action (bootleg)". What is the game version you have tested? If you want something more about this game please PM :rolleyes: .

Thanks again for all your hard work and dedication, and I apologize If I seemed nasty or rude in any way ... real life has been a bite in the ass for me latley :(

Don't worry ;)

Ditto that. (Although, as Franxis notes, the bootleg edition does seem to be working fine.)

camiga64 posted on Oct 10 2006 at 05:17PM said:
there are 2 games that doesn't work anymore (program hangs at start):

Crazy Kong (set 1)
Crazy Climber (US)

I'm seeing the same on these two -- no errors as the ROM is loading, but then it just stops at a blank screen.

perishabl posted on Oct 11 2006 at 01:53 PM said:

Ditto that. (Although, as Franxis notes, the bootleg edition does seem to be working fine.)

camiga64 posted on Oct 10 2006 at 05:17PM said:
there are 2 games that doesn't work anymore (program hangs at start):

Crazy Kong (set 1)
Crazy Climber (US)

I'm seeing the same on these two -- no errors as the ROM is loading, but then it just stops at a blank screen.

Investigating these extrange problems... :ph34r:

I have also checked Rodland and it is runs without sound, i had never seen it running :blink: ...

perishabl posted on Oct 11 2006 at 01:53 PM said:

Same with Pepper II. That used to work but has been broke for some time. Just info to help bug fixing really as there was never sound in this version of MAME so no loss that it doesn't work.

Got my problem fixed. I deleted all Mame files on my SD card and copied back my old backup of 2.5. It worked correctly. Then I added 3.0 and the working ROM and SAMPLE files from 2.5 and those worked except for some reason Crystal Castles (no big deal).

Thanks for the help.

- Tommy

Crazy Kong (set 1) -> It works ok with MAME GP2X 2.1 (it was broken in 2.2 and later versions, the problem is due to Chui MAME4ALL integration, i'm investigating it)

Crazy Climber (US) -> It works ok with MAME GP2X 2.1 (it was broken in 2.2 and later versions, the problem is due to Chui MAME4ALL integration, i'm investigating it)

Elevator Action -> It works ok with MAME GP2X 2.4 (it was broken in 2.5 and later versions, the problems is due to the improved Z80 core by Slaanesh to be able to run 1942 and other games). But Elevator Action (bootleg) runs ok with all versions. Update: FIXED for new MAME GP2X 3.1

Franxis posted on Oct 11 2006 at 11:37 PM said:
I have also checked Rodland and it is runs without sound, i had never seen it running :blink: ...

Same thing with RAINBOW ISLANDS (equally no sound), maybe the same driver-problem.
And try to play PETER PACK-RAT (no control possible :( )

Back