Gartner Stats on PC, Tablet, Smart Phone and OS sales

vcoleiro1

Hardcore Member
The other day I was reading about Dell and it's woes.  The article was mentioning how PC sales generally(all manufacturers in total) were declining significantly .  In the article it mentioned how Tablets are now outselling Desktop PC's which surprised me.  

After some digging around I found the Gartner report which is below. Whats even more surprising is that based on device sales , Android is the number one OS ahead of Windows - it is also projected to be outselling Windows by a factor of ~ 3 to 1 by 2017.

I guess I can see now, why MS went so hard at the tablet market with Windows RT and Pro

http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2408515

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure everyone here loves Android too, most of us just don't think it's a full desktop replacement yet. :p

I'm pretty sure everyone here loves Android too, most of us just don't think it's a full desktop replacement yet. :p
Yet! I really hope Google adds a desktop UI to Android. I'd love to just have my phone and not need to use any other computer. just my phone, and various attachments like a Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, Wireless TV, etc. All my media would be with me at all times.

Om that note, would it be possible to port XFCE to Android? I can't find anything on it. I'm not talking aout sticking another OS on my phone, just the UI.

Yet! I really hope Google adds a desktop UI to Android. I'd love to just have my phone and not need to use any other computer. just my phone, and various attachments like a Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, Wireless TV, etc. All my media would be with me at all times.
Om that note, would it be possible to port XFCE to Android? I can't find anything on it. I'm not talking aout sticking another OS on my phone, just the UI.
I looked into that a couple months ago.

You would have to make a knockoff xwindows interface from scratch. Android doesn't have windows so a straight port is not feasible even if it was possible.

A window manager as a task manager would be super idea but would require a major rewrite of how system menus and app menus show up.

I know Google is looking at a solution, but it isn't a trivial change.

I dislike Android.

I want my computer to look like a computer, not like an app launcher.

What's wrong with real Linux?

Android is fine for phones and maybe tablets. Android has a "real Linux" kernel inside though :)

For a real computer (and that includes the Pandora, of course), I prefer "real GNU/Linux".

I dislike Android.

I want my computer to look like a computer, not like an app launcher.

What's wrong with real Linux?
Android is fine for phones and maybe tablets. Android has a "real Linux" kernel inside though :)

For a real computer (and that includes the Pandora, of course), I prefer "real GNU/Linux".
But if Android had a traditional Desktop UI, would you like it more? Is it just a UI issue?

It's not just the UI. It's also it's Java-based forced framework, and the absence of all the standard GNU tools.

As I don't know Android much, the answer is yes.

I hate those touchscreen phones without a keyboard.

If Android would look like a desktop and not like an app launcher then I wouldn't have much problems.

I HATE the view of Smartphones.

It's not Android itself. I also dislike Windows phones and Iphones.

Also Firefox OS.

They all look the same.

(Also I don't like that google is watching my Android phone -> hacked firmware should solve this issue)

It's not just the UI. It's also it's Java-based forced framework, and the absence of all the standard GNU tools.
Lol ya. A while back there was some university that reprogrammed the UI for Android in C# and it ran a LOT faster, but the problem was the tool set for developers is a lot stronger with Java than with C# (or any other language for that matter.) It requires a lot less work on the part of the dev to create great looking, bug-free applications in Java. So while there is a performance hit, its overall better.

As I don't know Android much, the answer is yes.

I hate those touchscreen phones without a keyboard.

If Android would look like a desktop and not like an app launcher then I wouldn't have much problems.

I HATE the view of Smartphones.

It's not Android itself. I also dislike Windows phones and Iphones.

Also Firefox OS.

They all look the same.

(Also I don't like that google is watching my Android phone -> hacked firmware should solve this issue)
What do you mean by the "view" of smartphones?

^

"view" is the wrong word: "look" is better.

I mean just the tiles.

I want a full desktop (XFCE like).

I know it's harder to use on a phone but that's why I want buttons (maybe nubs or a trackpad).

It looks too simple for me.

I want a real desktop feeling.

(e.g. GTA04)

^

"view" is the wrong word: "look" is better.

I mean just the tiles.

I want a full desktop (XFCE like).

I know it's harder to use on a phone but that's why I want buttons (maybe nubs or a trackpad).

It looks too simple for me.

I want a real desktop feeling.

(e.g. GTA04)
If you port XFCE to Android, I'll beta test it for you :p

Uuuuhhhh. Ok, first, burn a copy of XFCE to a CD. Then, bring it with you on a ship as you said to the main port on the island of Android. Once there, throw the CD into the volcano in the center of Android island. There-in you will have succesfully ported XFCE to Android

If you tell me how to port XFCE to Android I will do it for you :p .

Uuuuhhhh. Ok, first, burn a copy of XFCE to a CD. Then, bring it with you on a ship as you said to the main port on the island of Android. Once there, throw the CD into the volcano in the center of Android island.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... That's my island....

Nobody's throwing shit into my volcano!

Sorry, Android doesn't allow me to use this method :unsure: .

Already had the CD ready and was on the way to the volcano.

Back