GBA and GP32 - Head to head

On the "GP32 has everything built in and on the GBA you have to buy everything" topic - Nintendo makes a fortune from all those little addons, thats why for the GBA SP you even have to buy special headphones cos they removed a normal phone jack. Don't worry, they know what they're doing. <_<

It all comes down to games. I have no qualms in pirating SNES games that aren't sold anymore, but I -don't- feel like spending £30-£40 on a Gameboy Advance game that I'll play a couple of times max. The DivX and MP3 are great incentives too.

Charge posted on May 28 2003 said:
On the "GP32 has everything built in and on the GBA you have to buy everything" topic - Nintendo makes a fortune from all those little addons, thats why for the GBA SP you even have to buy special headphones cos they removed a normal phone jack. Don't worry, they know what they're doing. <_<
:eek: you have to buy special headphones?????

- what a rip off!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
you have to buy special headphones?????
no the GBA SP does not have a headphone jack at all! Yuo must buya special adapter to use headphones, my goodness I refuse to buy a GBASP and let nintendo screw me over like that. anyways, I havent gotten my Gp32 yet, but I've had a GBA ever since it came out in a Japan, I imported it right away. I played Mario Advance 1+2, TonyHawk's Proskater and thats about it. Other than that, the games don't really appeal to me. I definitely would take my GP32 on a long car/bus ride anyday considering I could watch a movie, listen to some tunes and play some CLASSIC games. you really can't beat that....

it seems that no one likes gp32 commercial games...
or at least implied they dont like a majority of them.
Ive played available demos and granted things like dyhard was crap, pure crap!
there are still series out there that are a great example of joystick response, her knights and gpfight (sorta) are friggin flawless, i wouldnt imagine other forms would hold a candle to it besides the Ngeo js. In fact the over sensitive JS of the GP32 annoyed me at first, but imo things like that KOF port (if only it did exist) would be a bit more 'arcade' feeling with the GP32 JS.

course other ppl prolly said this and i skipped over em.

btw I saw a girl playin with her gba @ school a couple days ago, and i was VERY impressed at the quality of it. for a 14mhz arm 7 or whatever it was it really can do great things. she was playing harry potter if you must know.

my quelms would have to be : the L and R buttons, no available plugins besides the RF modules, the amount of patience required for emulators but then thats not my place to be judging since i understand that the devolpers are taking their own time and are usually doing it as a hobby hence they have no obligation to anyone but yknow how we humans are-- unfortunately.

PS: does anyone find uploading to your GP32 via usb rather slow? Compared to my samsung YePP 350H(?) the gp32 is considerably slower. perhaps its due to teh speed the smc can process information, not sure. Anyhow response would be appreciated

hmm.... who was it that said that the new PC-link was faster than the old one? Anyway, I have noticed that it takes a long time to upload, especially movies. ALthough things like mp3's take about 30secs or a min. NOt too bad, but it could be better. <_<

Poor GP32s commercial games get neglected, but it does have a few awesome titles (Mill, ASR, Her knights, Tomak) plus one big advantage about GP32 than GBA doesn't have. Every NES, And soon snes titles for free without waiting for a butchered up port.

Charge posted on May 28 2003 said:
ye know, i was still half tempted to get a GBA SP cause i do have a bunch of GBA games that i do enjoy, and for pure geek value, but that just completely put me off

Biggest crock of shit ive ever heard that, F*** U NINTENDO :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nintendo makes a fortune from all those little addons

Guess what, only a few months after the introduction of the GBASP Nintendo comes out with a ´new and improved´ battery that will allow up to 75% more playing time. <_<

Well... they'll milk it while they've got it.

My take on things is that they haven't got anything to compete with the upcoming consoles, so they're making the most of people's wallets, on the basis that if they've churned ~£350 into a GBA-SP they won't want to throw it away so fast...

Today I was stuck at the vet's because my dog was VERY sick and I didn't have time to grab the GP32 and only the GBA was in the car :( :eek: so I tried to play that, but it was BORING and terrible, I used to like it, but now after I got the GP32, the GBA is just bad, I mean BAD. I hope I am never stuck w/ just a GBA again I love the GP32 :wub:

Until a perfect SNES emu comes out for GP32 (but will it ever?) I love my Gp32 for emulation of the Atari ST and PCengine, and I love my GBA for GameCube linkup, multi-player Mario Kart and Super Mario World.

:D

With regards to the headphone socket (or lack of) on the GBA SP, Nintendo weren't the first to do this. The Bandai Wonderswan doesn't have one either, forcing the user to buy Bandai's own headphone adapter. Not that it excuses Nintendo, they're still the second company to screw their gamers over this.

Nintendo want to be very careful. They may have it their way in the handheld market at the moment, but the upcoming Sony PSP is going to shake things up, plus companies like Nokia are making inroads into the market as well (not to mention the growing support the GP32 is getting, what with all the recent reviews in the mainstream press). Not putting a headphone socket on the SP is totally unforgiveable and it really angers me that Nintendo are prepared to screw their loyal customers like this...still, the SP is selling very well so most gamers probably aren't bothered about it. Ho-hum.

I've had my GBA since launch day (almost 2 years ago?! :eek:) and the only game I've properly enjoyed was Tony Hawks 2 and that's because I got it was the first game I got. All the other games I played (and I've played a couple of hundred) have been pretty crap.

Mario Karts was all well and good but I still prefered the SNES version, Golden Sun was alright but I got bored of it after a few hours, Advance Wars was excellent too but again, got tedious after a while.

I've ended up using my GBA as a NES emulator so I can play Tetris and Excite Bike. What's the point eh? Bring on the GP32 :D

Yeh my GBA is sitting unused for months, all its games chopped in. I just woke up one day and said *uck me im paying £30 for SNES games. It was fun but so harsh on the pocket when i had an Xbox, Gamecube and PC to support.

All I know is I'm seeling my GBA as soon as my GP32 comes(hopefully tomorrow), I haven't played it in months.

i need to go aead and buy mine

anyone here wanna buy a sealed ps2 game(seriously) ;)

Oh come on guys. This is taking things a little far, don't you think? I know it's probably my fault for posting a topic that puts the two machines head to head, but I think everyone is being a little harsh on Nintendo's machine. Sure, it's got less to it than the GP32, the games cost money (just like commerical GP32 games do) and the screen sucks. But one thing you simply cannot deny is that the GBA has some brilliant games on it. They're not all SNES ports, either.

Golden Sun is awesome, a brilliant RPG, quite how you can consider it to be tedious I don't know. Same goes for Advance Wars - it's challenging and the learning curve is a little steep but it's not tedious. I found it addictive as hell. Then there's the Castlevania titles which are all excellent (and original GBA games), Zelda III which is worth buying again even if you've played the SNES version because it's one of the greatest videogames of all time, the stunning conversion of Street Fighter Zero 3, Tactics Ogre, Gradius Advance, Lunar Legends and many, many more. Personally I don't mind the SNES ports that much, I quite like being able to play these classics on the go. Until the GP32 can emulate the SNES to a decent degree I'll continue to play these titles on the GBA.

I think Axeman sums it up best:

"Can't be arsed with all this - I love my GP32, and the GBA is probably very good too - just more limited"

All I'm bothered about is my GP32 is sitting side by side with my GBA and both get the same amount of use.

Back