GBA emulator

I don't think processing power is the issue. You see, like santa's indentured worker elves, the gnomes in the GBA do only the minimal amount of work to do their job. So to make their life easier, they get carried around on RAMs. The gp32 will need to use a LOT of gnomes to emulate the GBA, and unfortunately, there just aren't enough RAMs in the gp32 to go around...

I wonder who is was at gamepark that said "16 megs of ram?! who could ever use that much? Just put in 8 megs, that'll be MORE than enough." Later that day, after work. "Yes Satan, I have done as you commanded..."

WTF?! What do gnomes and elves in santas workshop have to do with gp32, or anything for that matter?!!!! Your analogy just made it more complicated for me... :huh: My guess is that you were trying to say that gp32 didnt have enough ram to fit a gba rom...

First, I want to know what the benefits of having a gba emu are. What games would I be able to use that I cant use with another emu? (Besides Golden sun) Alot of the good games on gba are already on snes, like fzero, zelda3, mario world, mario allstars, mario kart, etc.

And Abbibi, someone was doing a project on using more ram in their gp32, but I forgot who. It was at some webpage for modding your gp32....

Well, if you read this entire thread, you get the gnomes reference.

The main desire to have a GBA emulator is so that you can play GBA on a handheld without having to pay for them! Yayyyy! The ONLY practical excuse anyone could have for LEGALLY wanting a GBA emu is so they would only have to carry around one handheld. Oh, joy. So, I agree with the silliness of the whole idea, Mofokubik.

Yeah, I saw that RAM project. I don't think very many people AT ALL, would dare try that out. I can solder pretty good, but not THAT good!

if the point is to only carry around one system the here is a guide i made to make a gba emu:

materials
1gp32
1gba
hot glue gun
hot glue

step 1
take the gba and apply some hot glue to the back of it, make sure it has batteries.
step 2
before the hot glue dries take the gp32 and place its back against the gba's back
step 3
let set for 20 mins
step 4
ENJOY

you are welcome ;)

WTF, how are you supposed to change batteries? :D

The only benefit of a gba emu is that there is a nes emu for gba, but the nes emulation on gp32 is great right now...But why are there 2 new emus when fnes is perfect right now (i dont think its released though)

Mofokubik posted on Jul 1 2003 said:
WTF, how are you supposed to change batteries? :D

The only benefit of a gba emu is that there is a nes emu for gba, but the nes emulation on gp32 is great right now...But why are there 2 new emus when fnes is perfect right now (i dont think its released though) <- And another reason
The more the merrier. :)
Nothing like a bita choice.... And competition. :D

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel a bit bad about this thread. Now I know that I was the first person on it to give a completely useless answer but I was drunk and this seems to have turned into a newbie bashing thread. We are not all born with an innate knowledge that the GBA is a more complex machine than the SNES!

This was Gamma Back's first and only post and he/she will probably never bother visiting this board again due to the general piss taking going on here. This is a shame because generally speaking, the boards here are very good and I know I found them very helpful when I first got my GP32.

I think there's been enough marketing from Nintendo to highlight the fact that the GBA is more powerful than the SNES, the reason people are forgetting this fact whilst writing such posts is due to the fact that the ONLY decent games on the GBA (with a few exceptions) are FRICKIN' SNES GAMES!!!!!! :angry: (RAGE!!!)

Which if you'll notice is one of Nintendo's big problems at the minute. If you take a stroll down to your local GAME store you'll notice that the games on the shelves of the GBA section are just a collection of mindless trash (mary-kate and ashley, need I say more?) So why we ACTUALLY want a GBA emu is beyond me.

Well actually it isn't beyond me. The only advantage of a fully working GBA emu would be that people could then start making GBA quality games for the gp32, I believe that homebrew GBA development would probably be alot better than commercial GBA emulation.

Y'know what? Seeing as I have far too much time on my hands (studying Geography at Uni, which is basically colouring in!!!) then I'm gonna use my current programming skills (which are limited to C) and learn to write for GP32 and try and do a GBA emulator myself (or port one at least) its a tall claim and it'll probably take me ten years but what the hey its worth a go.

If only SEGA where still in the hardware market, they would have made a fine handheld.

I wish you well with C, I don't believe a GBA emu will be possible without heavy doses of ASM. If you do start one, don't forget you may not have to emulate the CPU, 'cos the GP runs the same instruction set. So that should leave you lots of power for emulating the custom chips.
The only reasons I can see to get a GBA emu are: Advance wars. Advance wars2, and maybe the golden sun games, I could be wrong though, i'm not bang up to date on GBA stuff.

When I say I know a bit of C I really mean a bit. I'm gonna learn stuff from the ground up and use all my free time to do something GP32 ish. it may take me longer than most people (probably 2 years :p ) but I do catch on quickly and I currently have a few games in production. Once I start something I don't stop till its done.

There are quite a few decent commercial GBA games, the Castlevanias, the Golden Suns and many more.

kraahl posted on Jul 3 2003 said:
There are quite a few decent commercial GBA games, the Castlevanias, the Golden Suns and many more.
Yes but there are proportionatly (Sp?) a larger amount of crap commercial games.

Its worth it just for metroid :D i never liked metroid but i liked the gba version

But i think sega should make new 3d glasses for the gamecube think about it a game like metroid prime but your using 32 headsets im getting giddy just thinking about it :rolleyes:

:ph34r:

Twimfy posted on Jul 3 2003 said:
it may take me longer than most people (probably 2 years :p ) but I do catch on quickly
If it takes you longer than most people, you don't catch on quickly. If you catch on quickly, it would take you less time than most people. ;)

Back