GP2X Gcc On Gp2x

madconfuzor

Still Fresh
I was wondering if anyone has had any thoughts on porting GCC itself to the GP2X, which would in theory make it a standalone computer system. I think that with the right hacking and external hardware, the GP2X could make for a lightweight PC replacement. Just sharing some thoughts, thanks.

well, provided there is a shell and a working toolchain, it's plenty enough speed to compile many things... maybe not X or MAME or something like that, but definitely the kernel and other packages. Lots of portable hacking could be done, albeit at only 40x30 or 50x40 text mode.

It would be interesting to use with BVRDE, a Windows-based IDE that does everything on a remote computer, such as the GP2X. The remote computer contains all the source files, compiler, debugger, everything. Of course, this would only be really useful with a HDD connected to the GP2X.

Parkydr posted on Mar 21 2007 at 07:07 PM said:
Tiny C is a novelty. It is not suitable for anything real complex. Optimisation is also not very good.

Last edited by a moderator:
jammerz posted on Mar 22 2007 at 05:51 AM said:
well, provided there is a shell and a working toolchain, it's plenty enough speed to compile many things... maybe not X or MAME or something like that, but definitely the kernel and other packages. Lots of portable hacking could be done, albeit at only 40x30 or 50x40 text mode.
I reckon you'd be longer compiling a kernel than an X server on the GP2X, it'd be very slow for all but the most simple things.

Last edited by a moderator:
If we had development tools and a text editor(along the lines of an IDE) right on the GP2X, we could develop from anywhere :). Not that compiles would be quick, but still would be useful.

Sort of like a TI-83?

Back