Genre Specific Recommendations Thread List (son of system specific game recommendation thread list)

Asatiir

This thread is inspired by the System Specific Recommendations Thread List, except rather than it being to certain systems, this should broaden the spectrum a little bit and in the same time filter things down more specific genres.

Adventure:

• Point and Click Adventure
  • Graphic Adventure
  • Visual Novel
  • Action Adventure
  • Platformer
  • Horror
  • Metroidvania
Arcade:

• Horizontal Shooter
  • Vertical Shooter
  • Racing
  • Beat 'em up
  • Fighting game
Role Playing Game:

• Action RPG
  • Turn-Based RPG
  • Strategy RPG
  • Dungeon Crawler
  • Roguelike
  • Active Time Battle RPG
Shooter:

• First Person
  • Third Person
Strategy:

• Real-time Strategy
  • Turn-based strategy
  • Tower Defense

Simulator:

• Flight
  • Driving
  • Sports
  • Survival
  • Economic/City Building
  • God Games
  • Misc.
I will obviously need help from you to get these threads started, I might start on the horror one in a bit, if I missed out on a few, do let me know to add it on here and do let me know if you got a genre specific thread up.  ;)

Edit:

Note: categorization is subject to change

Last edited by a moderator:
Adventure Platformer

Magical Hat Flying Turbo Adventure

Arcade Horizontal/Vertical Shooter

Forgotten Worlds [both]

Wings of Wor [horizontal]

Arcade Fighting Game

Thrill Kill

Shooter First Person

Time Splitters

Last edited by a moderator:
Strategy: Real-time Strategy Turn-based strategy Economic/City Building Tower Defense
Why is tower defense a genre on its own ? It falls in Real time strategy!

And Economic/city building has nothing to do with strategy. It's more akin to simulations or god games.  

Adventure: Point and Click Adventure Graphic Adventure Visual Novel Action Adventure Platformer Horror Metroidvania
This category is such a mess : you are mixing stuff which has to do with the way it's designed (platformer) with themes (horror) - it does not make any sense to categorize stuff like that :p  

Role Playing Game: Action RPG Turn-Based RPG Strategy RPG Dungeon Crawler Roguelike Active Time Battle RPG
Dungeon crawlers are usually turn based RPG or action RPGs and do not deserve a category on their own :p  

I had a feeling this might happen lol, this thread is still very open to suggestions and I'll take all the feedback I can get.

Strategy: Real-time Strategy Turn-based strategy Economic/City Building Tower Defense
Why is tower defense a genre on its own ? It falls in Real time strategy!

And Economic/city building has nothing to do with strategy. It's more akin to simulations or god games.  

That could be fixed, I forgot there are god games like that, my bad.

Adventure: Point and Click Adventure Graphic Adventure Visual Novel Action Adventure Platformer Horror Metroidvania
This category is such a mess : you are mixing stuff which has to do with the way it's designed (platformer) with themes (horror) - it does not make any sense to categorize stuff like that  :p

Yes, I know I've put the adventure sub-categories in very broad strokes, apart from platforming (which can still be considered adventure regardless) I expect a lot of games here to overlap the categories. Yes, horror is more thematic than gameplay, but again will overlap here a lot.

Role Playing Game: Action RPG Turn-Based RPG Strategy RPG Dungeon Crawler Roguelike Active Time Battle RPG
Dungeon crawlers are usually turn based RPG or action RPGs and do not deserve a category on their own  :p

Not all dungeon crawlers are turn-based, yes there are a lot of them (Wizardry, Etrian Odyssey, etc), some even with the grid based movement are still pretty much realtime (see Dungeon Master, Legend of Grimrock, Etc) and some even fall in between where all movements and actions take place as you take action.

Again, this thread is still a WIP but I've put it in this way for a reason and I will reorganize it if there's a better layout.

Back