George Hotz runs away to South America

Nintendo

Nintendo Switch
After the judge demanded George Hotz gives in his devices and hard drives, the PlayStation 3 hacker ran away to South America to avoid handing his possessions in and now has put his case in extreme jeopardy. The hacker also lied about not having a PlayStation Network account. GeoHot has finally been caught out.

Official statements here.

I don't care what anyone says, but I still support Mr. Hotz. :)

blackra1n-660x462.jpg

Somebody get this man a Pandora so he can hack away without worrying about this sort of shit.

Good on him, he's got a big nasty corporation with an as-good-as bottomless legal fund crawling up his ass on silly little technicalities. What choice does he have?

And of what relevance is his PSN account? Violation of the PSN terms of service is grounds for nothing more serious than simple termination of said account.

Whoever is behind this sheer nonsense at Sony needs to die in a car crash. On top of all this bollocks, legitimate customers are getting caught in Sony's futile sissy-fit fight against hackers, having to do endless firmware updates.

To further add insult to injury, if you want those updates for Sony, and other developers, shitty broken code to be downloaded automatically- you have to pay for the privilege.

Dear Sony: Go fuck a sack of porcupines, instead of the customer base you're alienating. And keep forking over the cash to Media Molecule, because you're a LBP exclusive loss away from being irrelevant.

Nintendo, don't spout such stereotypes.

[/offtopic]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hum, it's just a rumor, Hotz is still in USA.

It sprouted because on a photo he is wearing the t-shirt of a south american sports team IIRC.

You should always quadruple check - at least - your informations before posting those ridiculous rumors.

He can come and live at Pandora HQ, he can be our own Julian Assange.
Craig, you may just be the funniest man in the game industry.

Sure?

Hum, it's just a rumor, Hotz is still in USA.

It sprouted because on a photo he is wearing the t-shirt of a south american sports team IIRC.

You should always quadruple check - at least - your informations before posting those ridiculous rumors.

http://twitter.com/#!/BenKuchera/status/50631393679646720

Update from Geohot’s blog, says he has not fled and is merely on vacation.

Factually, it’s true I’m in South America, on a vacation I’ve had planned and paid for since November. I mean, it is Spring break; hacking isn’t my life. Rest assured that not a dime of legal defense money would ever go toward something like this. And of course Townsend loves the idea of painting me as an international fugitive. I have been in contact with my lawyers almost every day; I would not let the case suffer. That said, I also won’t let this ridiculous lawsuit run my life either. Then the fearmongerers win.

I will be back, I hear it’s hard to come by the Xperia Play down here.

READ UPDATE 3

I'm not sure what the US media has been saying about Assange, but Hotz seems to dislike him too. I'm smelling great irony here.

Regardless of what you think of the cause he's behind most agree he is kind of a self-serving douchebag.

I'm not sure what the US media has been saying about Assange, but Hotz seems to dislike him too. I'm smelling great irony here.

I think Assange is a goddamn hero, and I'm an American.

Generally, it's the blind sheople who don't support him.

The parallels between them are extremely convincing.

Sony is the US, who's pissed their little secrets (which they really shouldn't have had) got out.

Hotz is Assange, who's let the cat out of the bag, and is now on the run because the people with the money and power are out to make an example of him.

God damn this unchecked capitalism to hell. And I hope every Sony supporter is silenced very soon, for their own good. There is nothing more irritating than watching people being mind-controlled into worshipping the feet, ground-walked-upon, and faeces of the corporations (and/or government) that quite honestly couldn't give a shit less about them. I think that's what they call the Stockholm syndrome.

Regardless of what you think of the cause he's behind most agree he is kind of a self-serving douchebag.
Tend to agree, and I think it applies to both of them.

Generally, it's the blind sheople who don't support him.

The parallels between them are extremely convincing.

Sony is the US, who's pissed their little secrets (which they really shouldn't have had) got out.

Hotz is Assange, who's let the cat out of the bag, and is now on the run because the people with the money and power are out to make an example of him.
Indeed. That's why Hotz having a go at Assange rubbed me the wrong way; here was a man being subjected to the exact same kind of witch hunt, yet Hotz implied that his need for donations was more valid than Assange's.

It's a funny world when you can dislike someone, yet remain 100% behind what they stand for. Sadly there are a lot of people saying "Hotz acts like a douche" therefore "he should go to jail" without considering any of the principles that are at stake.

I really hope Sony fails in this pursuit.

There is nothing more irritating than watching people being mind-controlled into worshipping the feet, ground-walked-upon, and faeces of the corporations (and/or government) that quite honestly couldn't give a shit less about them. I think that's what they call the Stockholm syndrome.

Apple fan-boys anyone?

Me too, but I'm an Australian.

I've been an Assange fan since I read Underground. Noone else would have been able to dig that deep and get a lot of that info out.

And I don't believe all this raep claim shit. If it's true, well, that's sick, I'm not saying I encourage that, but I just think it's untrue. I don't know what the other issue was.

And more on topic. Sony is talking out of their asses like all the other big companies. Do not buy from them, simple as that. Convince your (grand)mothers not to(LOL), get your dev friends not to(your small-company/FOSS dev friends, nothing will convince the big companies)...it will all spread, they will learn, change and play fair, or die, simple as that. I was just about to buy a PS3 when the Other OS option was removed. Obviously, I did not buy one then. My wallet thanked me.

Sony: You have no (moral) right to do this. Stop talking shit. Get over it. Target the right person next time. Sure, he dropped your keys publicly. Don't make it so necessary to do so, and it won't happen. Was this so fucking hard? It would never have happened if you'd just play fair.

"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither." - Ben Franklin, apparently. I love this quote.

Open Pandora. No bullshit, no signing. Open.

EDIT: >I hate Steve "head" Jobs with as passion!!! :angry:

+1

EDIT2: Fixed quote...

There is nothing more irritating than watching people being mind-controlled into worshipping the feet, ground-walked-upon, and faeces of the corporations (and/or government) that quite honestly couldn't give a shit less about them. I think that's what they call the Stockholm syndrome.

Apple fan-boys anyone?

Paying massively over the odds for shiny aluminium computers is the way I roll, bitches!

I just hope the PS3 jailbreakers keep up with the curve, we're just a few years away from the next generation of consoles and I want my PS3s to be able to do something useful/cool when they're obsoleted.

Back