GP32 Getting Into C++...

Dalto posted on Jul 31 2004 at 12:35 PM said:
Azure posted on Jul 31 2004 at 07:30 PM said:
Um...well, if I want to dev games for the GP32, should I just stick with Algorithms and Object-Oriented development (I'm guessing on this one, but it sounds right)?
If you want to write 2d games. You truthfully probably have most of what you need from the intro book.
Are you sure? Because all the programs that are in the book are command prompt-like. It also mentioned something in the intro about it not being Visual C++.NET, meaning the programs won't have that windows look.

Last edited by a moderator:
Azure posted on Aug 5 2004 at 06:31 AM said:
Dalto posted on Jul 31 2004 at 12:35 PM said:
Azure posted on Jul 31 2004 at 07:30 PM said:
Um...well, if I want to dev games for the GP32, should I just stick with Algorithms and Object-Oriented development (I'm guessing on this one, but it sounds right)?
If you want to write 2d games. You truthfully probably have most of what you need from the intro book.
Are you sure? Because all the programs that are in the book are command prompt-like. It also mentioned something in the intro about it not being Visual C++.NET, meaning the programs won't have that windows look.
The gp32 uses it's on graphics API and you will need to learn how to use it for outputting graphics. Once you have learned the basics of C/C++ and are comfortable with it you should not have a problem with using one of the tutorials available for gp32 development to demonstrate the rest.

I'm starting to think it might have been a mistake to learn C++ to dev on the GP32. It seems like people (Like CrazyDesi, for example) keep saying that C is better than C++ on the GP32. Did I just make a horrible mistake by learning C++ in the past few weeks? What should I do to fix this situation? Finish reading the book, then go pick up a introductory C book? Gah! This is freaking me out! :ph34r:

Azure posted on Aug 11 2004 at 02:45 AM said:
I'm starting to think it might have been a mistake to learn C++ to dev on the GP32. It seems like people (Like CrazyDesi, for example) keep saying that C is better than C++ on the GP32. Did I just make a horrible mistake by learning C++ in the past few weeks? What should I do to fix this situation? Finish reading the book, then go pick up a introductory C book? Gah! This is freaking me out! :ph34r:
Bah! Once you learn C++ it will be very easy to go to C if that's what you want to do.

You will not need a book on C. Generally speaking, C++ is a superset of C.

Also, there are lots of people doing C++ development on the gp32. The people who say it doesn't work generally have misconfigured enviroments or do not know what they are doing.

EDIT: Those who truly understand the differences between C/C++ please don't freak out becaus I said that C++ is a superset of C. I know it isn't EXACTLY true but for the purpose of this conversation it is.

So, you say after I'm done with the book, and read mr mirko's sdk examples, I should be able to program for the GP32? What kinds of programs would I be able to program? So, if I also get an algorithms book, how would that help with programming for the GP and by how much would it help? Also, what about programming for the PC? Right now I can only make command prompt programs, how can I create windows programs (Do I need to get a different book to learn how to make programs for the PC? If so, which one?)?

Dalto posted on Aug 11 2004 at 03:25 AM said:
Azure posted on Aug 11 2004 at 02:45 AM said:
Bah! Once you learn C++ it will be very easy to go to C if that's what you want to do.

You will not need a book on C. Generally speaking, C++ is a superset of C.

Also, there are lots of people doing C++ development on the gp32. The people who say it doesn't work generally have misconfigured enviroments or do not know what they are doing.

EDIT: Those who truly understand the differences between C/C++ please don't freak out becaus I said that C++ is a superset of C. I know it isn't EXACTLY true but for the purpose of this conversation it is.
I'm not saying that it will not work. I'm just saying that working with C on the Gp32 will be better then C++. I know C++ better then C but from what I have seen it doesn't work correctly but again you might be right that its just my configuration.

I actually learned tons of C++ compared to C. Its not that hard to migrate but I just notice myself not using alot of C++ advantages other then member functions in classes. Sometimes I use inheritance but its not enough to change to C++.

Honestly though I wouldn't worry about learning C++ compared to C. Although I do think you should get a different book.

Why should I get a different book? Is seems like a decent book; plus, I'm already almost done with it (I'm in the optional features section, which seems to be the most confusing section of them all).

Azure posted on Aug 15 2004 at 05:23 AM said:
Why should I get a different book? Is seems like a decent book; plus, I'm already almost done with it (I'm in the optional features section, which seems to be the most confusing section of them all).
Don't know just my personal preference. I just dont think the book explains things very well. Whatever works for you though.

CrazyDesi posted on Aug 14 2004 at 11:35 PM said:
Don't know just my personal preference. I just dont think the book explains things very well. Whatever works for you though.
Well, I planned on finishing the book before school starts, that way it won't interfere with anything, but if I get the Sams book, it'll just take me longer.

Azure posted on Aug 15 2004 at 07:19 AM said:
CrazyDesi posted on Aug 14 2004 at 11:35 PM said:
Well, I planned on finishing the book before school starts, that way it won't interfere with anything, but if I get the Sams book, it'll just take me longer.
Well you will already know most of the book but it will just help you understand better probably.

Another question - My friend recently found how that I already started learning C++ and he started thinking that I won't be able to get through it and that I won't create anything but simple crap programs. He said that because I'm using books and not taking classes. He also mentioned that I won't even be able to create a simple tic-tac-toe program until at least 2-3 years more of C++ (He said students who take up C++ classes don't even create programs as simple as a tic-tac-toe game when they've been in the class for 1-3 years). So, when do you guys think I would be able to create this kind of program, also, how exactly would I get started on windows programming (For the GP32 I read mirko's sdk examples, but what would I do the Windows?)?

Azure posted on Aug 17 2004 at 08:12 PM said:
Another question - My friend recently found how that I already started learning C++ and he started thinking that I won't be able to get through it and that I won't create anything but simple crap programs. He said that because I'm using books and not taking classes. He also mentioned that I won't even be able to create a simple tic-tac-toe program until at least 2-3 years more of C++ (He said students who take up C++ classes don't even create programs as simple as a tic-tac-toe game when they've been in the class for 1-3 years). So, when do you guys think I would be able to create this kind of program, also, how exactly would I get started on windows programming (For the GP32 I read mirko's sdk examples, but what would I do the Windows?)?
Depends how hard you work. Simple tic-tac-toe games with Win32 and DirectX could take maybe 3 months or so to understand fully with all the stuff Win32 throws at you. Of course if you try really hard you could do it in 2 weeks :).

Azure posted on Aug 17 2004 at 08:12 PM said:
He is correct in some ways. However, there are reasons for this that are not really relevant to your case.

1. First year comp sci classes move DAMN slow. What that book you have teaches is probably pretty close to a full year of collge education. You learn about variables, flow control and simple data structures.

2. A computer science student would be writing a tic-tac-toe game as part of a algorithms or advanced data structures class more than likely. These are classes you would take in your third year. What they would be learning how to do is make the computer play it's side.

I would be willing to bet that you could write a two player tic-tac-toe game on the gp32 with what you already know.

Write it, and prove him wrong!

CrazyDesi posted on Aug 17 2004 at 08:37 PM said:
Simple tic-tac-toe games with Win32 and DirectX could take maybe 3 months or so
This might be true if:
a. You only write code for 15 minutes every day.
b. You don't have an API reference handy so you decide to write your own programming language.
c. You type random strings of characters until you happen to come across one that does something.
d. You only write code 1 day every two weeks.
e. You are a complete and utter dumbass.

EDIT:
f. You decide you need to render your tic-tac-toe game in 3d

I wrote snake for DOS within 3months of starting C++ taking classes.. a tic toc toe shouldnt be a problem from what I have seen of your ability so far.

I wouldnt bother getting a book on C if you have one on C++, hop over to http://gametutorials.com for C examples as they tend to do things slightly differently then in C++.

rg for loops
Code:
//in c++ you can do this
for(int a=0; a<10; a++)
{
//blah
}
// but this wont work in C, you ahve to create the variable outside of loop
int a = 0;
for(a = 0; a<10; a++)
{
//blah
}

Dalto posted on Aug 17 2004 at 09:12 PM said:
CrazyDesi posted on Aug 17 2004 at 08:37 PM said:
Simple tic-tac-toe games with Win32 and DirectX could take maybe 3 months or so
This might be true if:
a. You only write code for 15 minutes every day.
b. You don't have an API reference handy so you decide to write your own programming language.
c. You type random strings of characters until you happen to come across one that does something.
d. You only write code 1 day every two weeks.
e. You are a complete and utter dumbass.

EDIT:
f. You decide you need to render your tic-tac-toe game in 3d
I meant a whole Tic-Tac-Toe game with full graphics menu, AI, etc.

Learning AI alone can cause some problems(not really in a tic tac toe game).

I find it alot easier to just read a full book first then read the main programs after you finish it. To clear in anything you don't understand.

Back