GP32 Getting Into C++...

I prefer Sam's Teach Yourself C++ in 21 days. There was actually at one time the whole book available on the internet legally but I forgot where that link went.

CrazyDesi posted on Jul 7 2004 at 04:13 PM said:
I prefer Sam's Teach Yourself C++ in 21 days. There was actually at one time the whole book available on the internet legally but I forgot where that link went.
Have you tried the dummies book? Why do you prefer the Sam's one?

Mark - Any previous programming knowledge? Do you have any pro's and con's that you have noticed yet? You might want to create a mini review or something for generalnmx in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have the dummies book
and it works well

i don't have much time to learn right now
i mainly forget (and hate) reading in general

You should get the newest edition of the dummies book available to you. Just out of interest, why have you decided to go with C++ rathere than just C ?

I decided C++ because that's the language I want to use as it's more powerful than C and you don't need to have prior knowledge of C to learn C++.

BTW, I got C++ For Dummies 5th Edition in the mail a few days ago and everything seems good so far. I got a little confused at some points (double variables or something like that), but after reading it over again I quickly found out my mistake (I was making a simple mistake when adding three numbers :D ).

:lol: It's a little late to tell me that! I already started learning and got a book. I really don't care anyways, it's the language I wanted to learn from the start...

I know I'm getting a little ahead of myself, but, what book would you say I should check out next after I'm done with C++ For Dummies? I couldn't find much when I searched for advanced C++ books.

Azure posted on Jul 25 2004 at 11:02 AM said:
I know I'm getting a little ahead of myself, but, what book would you say I should check out next after I'm done with C++ For Dummies? I couldn't find much when I searched for advanced C++ books.
I have The Waite Group's Object-Oriented Programming in C++. you can get it here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...483019?v=glance

Charge posted on Jul 25 2004 at 11:19 AM said:
I have The Waite Group's Object-Oriented Programming in C++. you can get it here:

:lol: You're kidding, right? One of the reviews said "the book is also full of typographical errors, and just plain careless mistakes." It also costs less than $5! I'm willing to pay up to $50 for an advanced C++ book, as long as I get my money's worth.

Azure posted on Jul 27 2004 at 11:05 PM said:
Charge posted on Jul 25 2004 at 11:19 AM said:

:lol: You're kidding, right? One of the reviews said "the book is also full of typographical errors, and just plain careless mistakes." It also costs less than $5! I'm willing to pay up to $50 for an advanced C++ book, as long as I get my money's worth.
Might explain why my programming is so bad ;)

Seriously though, I haven't noticed that many mistakes in it, although I only use it as a quick reference to be honest. Since you can get it used for $2.97, you might as well get it as well as whichever book you decide to get as having 2 books covering the same topic may help you to learn.

So, when advanced C++ books usually have in their title or their main topic is "Object-Oriented Programming?"

EDIT: Looking through that book you recommended, it seems like a lot of the book covers topics that are covered in an introductory C++ book, like the one I have.

Azure posted on Jul 28 2004 at 08:27 AM said:
So at when advanced C++ books usually have in their title or their main topic is "Object-Oriented Programming?"

EDIT: Looking through that book you recommended, it seems like a lot of the book covers topics that are covered in an introductory C++ book, like the one I have.
Different books have different titles, unfortunately there is no rule to the naming of them.

You will find that a big book, like this has a lot of similar topics to that of your Dummies book except that it is more of a reference than a teaching book. It does however give more keywords and covers the more difficult topics such as multiple inheritance and virtual functions. The book has about 800 pages of chapters that tell you how things work, with a futher 200+ pages of appendices and answers to the tests it gives at the end of each chapter.

If your dummies book is a similar size then it probably covers similar topics and you may not need to get an advanced C++ book. I learnt C++ from a book called the idiots guide to C++ (alothough I already knew C) and it was only about 400 pages, thats why I got a bigger book afterwards.

So at when advanced C++ books usually have in their title or their main topic is "Object-Oriented Programming?"
Generally, once you conquer the basics you will want a book about whatever it is you want to with them. There are not a lot of generic advanced books and the ones that do exist will likely have a lot of overlap with your introductory book.

So, once you have finished that book, decide what it is you want to do more specifically and buy a book that will help with that.

If you aren't ready to decide I would suggest a book on algorithms.

Also, at some point you will just need to practice by writing software yourself.

Dalto posted on Jul 29 2004 at 09:16 PM said:
Generally, once you conquer the basics you will want a book about whatever it is you want to with them. There are not a lot of generic advanced books and the ones that do exist will likely have a lot of overlap with your introductory book.

So, once you have finished that book, decide what it is you want to do more specifically and buy a book that will help with that.

If you aren't ready to decide I would suggest a book on algorithms.

Also, at some point you will just need to practice by writing software yourself.
Yeah, I am aware of that (And I've been creating small little programs after each "Part" in the book that summarize the whole "Part" and use basically everything in it), but, I don't think I'll be able to create much after being done with the beginner book.

What do you mean by "decide what I want to do more specifically?" What aspect of C++ do I want to learn more about and use more frequently? If that's the case, um...I thought an advanced book would be like a beginner book, except that it would teach everything you need to know about what you learned in the beginner book and then some. So, I don't know how I am going to go about deciding on a book when I want to get an advanced book that'll teach everything else that's left.

As for the algorithms, any specific reason why you would suggest that?

Azure posted on Jul 31 2004 at 05:02 PM said:
I don't think I'll be able to create much after being done with the beginner book.
Actually, you should have the fundamentals to develop basic software if you complete and understand a basic book.

What do you mean by "decide what I want to do more specifically?" What aspect of C++ do I want to learn more about and use more frequently? If that's the case, um...I thought an advanced book would be like a beginner book, except that it would teach everything you need to know about what you learned in the beginner book and then some. So, I don't know how I am going to go about deciding on a book when I want to get an advanced book that'll teach everything else that's left.
The problem is everything else that's left is a huge domain. Database programming, graphics programming, Object-Oriented development, web programming, etc.... No one book can teach all that.

As for the algorithms, any specific reason why you would suggest that?
Basically because that's the way it is typically taught in school. Typically, you take a couple of introductory courses and then you learn about data structures and algorithms. After that you take speciality classes. The only problem with algorithms is that most of them rely on a fair bit of mathmatics that you may not have been exposed to yet.

Um...well, if I want to dev games for the GP32, should I just stick with Algorithms and Object-Oriented development (I'm guessing on this one, but it sounds right)?

Azure posted on Jul 31 2004 at 07:30 PM said:
Um...well, if I want to dev games for the GP32, should I just stick with Algorithms and Object-Oriented development (I'm guessing on this one, but it sounds right)?
If you want to write 2d games. You truthfully probably have most of what you need from the intro book. Although it can never hurt to learn about key algorithms.

Object-Oriented development books are important if you are going to be doing any OO development.

If you want to write 3d games you should read a book on graphics programming.

Gah! I didn't think it would be this diverse. Is there a web site or something that can help me out here by telling me all my options in more details and stuff?

Back