Getting started

Now where should I ask questions like "How do I install PND Manager?" and "How do I install FireFox and change it as the default browser?"

The repo: http://repo.openpandora.org/'>http://repo.openpandora.org/

Firefox : http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=firefox.hdonk.500'>http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=firefox.hdonk.500

Pnd Manager: http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=pndmanager-bzar'>http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=pndmanager-bzar

Create a folder on your SD sdcard/pandora/menu
Save the pnds into this folder
Once there they should be autodetected into your start menu.

Should I download from my Pandora handheld's browser or move SD card from PC to Pandora handheld? If from the Pandora's browser, then how do I change its default browser?

Well initially you can download PNDManager from PNDStore which is the older less user friendly application to download PNDs directly to your Pandora. It's on the default install. 

You can just download it from your Desktop/Laptop and copy it into the appropriate folders mentioned in the user guide.. 

As for Firefox that's a PND you need to install. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope PNDs don't work that way.. unless you decide to port games yourself you won't be generating PND files.

ROMs you just put them in a directory on an SD card and select them when running the emulator. Some emulators will want you to put them in the appdata directory in a specific folder..

rough example..
ex: /YOURSDCARDNAME/pandora/appdata/emulator_name/romdirectory

Hello 1983parrothead, not to sound presumtius but it sounds like your rellitevly new too the Pandora, welcome to the club youve made an awsome investment.  Am sure youve probably seen this but just incase this link http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/94-tips-tricks-and-tweaks/ is the thread of all threads for all new and old users its the bible for Pandora users Gruso and the community done an amazing job with this thread.  Most problems your likely to encounter with your pandora can be found in here, and will probably show you some stuff you never even thought of. I would deffinstely recommend this as the best starting point for most issues you might encounter.  Have fun with the most addictive gadget ever made

PND are not executable, they're actually just packages.. when scanned by the PND system they will automatically add links to the menu or desktop that will allow you to execute the program.. 

If you haven't done so you need to create these directories..

/YOURSDCARD/pandora/menu  - PNDs placed here will show in XFCE's menu and also the Minimenu GUI

/YOURSDCARD/pandora/desktop -PNDs placed here will show on XFCE's Desktop

/YOURSDCARD/pandora/apps -PNDs placed here will show in XFCE's menu and desktop and also Minimenu GUI
/YOURSDCARD/pandora/appdata - Most important directory.. this is were all the save information goes for specific application.. directories for application are generated automatically on first run of the PND.

I can't execute nor run the .PND files.
It could be worth re downding to ensure you haven't got a broken pnd (didn't download completely). And check that you have placed the pnd in SD>/pandora/menu.  If this has been followed correctly the pnd should now show up in the network section.

Edit Trashy fractionally replied fasted and more accurately than myself, soz for the double post

Also many games like the Doom(s), Quake(s), Descent, Homeworld, ScummVM etc need the data files from the retail or shareware version of the game.. If that may be the case.

Edit:
also here is a good guide as well:
http://pandorawiki.org/User_manual

Okay. I am using Windows Vista to download and transfer .PND files to the SD card.  Do I click "Download" or "Archived" ones?  I clicked the "Download" ones at repo.

For the emulators, I created their own directories with "ROMs" directories in their folders and added each .PND file in each folder.

Download.. Archived is an older version of that PND..

Okay. I am using Windows Vista to download and transfer .PND files to the SD card.  Do I click "Download" or "Archived" ones?  I clicked the "Download" ones at repo.

For the emulators, I created their own directories with "ROMs" directories in their folders and added each .PND file in each folder.
Having a Roms directory is the way forwards for keeping all your roms nicely organiased and easy to find all in one place. However if you have the PND also located in the roms folder on your sd card it is not going to show up in your menu or on your desktop.

as trashy mentioned erlier if you place the pnd file in either-/YOURSDCARD/pandora/menu (the emulator will now show up in the emulators section on the start bar) or in /YOURSDCARD/pandora/desktop (The emulator will now show up as a shortcut on you decktop)

oh, which emu

'Archived' are older versions, the one you get when you click 'Download' will be the latest version.

On your second point, it's best you don't create folders for any program until you've installed and run them once. Also (bit in bold) you don't create any extra folders other than the main system ones (see below) to put PNDs into - they won't work otherwise.

As others have pointed out (it should be in the 'Quickstart Guide' that comes on your desktop too) your SD card must have these folders on it (and initially, nothing else):

In the root of your card, the first place you see when you click on your SD card and open it, you must have a folder named:

pandora

(note that these must be lower case, just as shown)

In the 'pandora' folder, you must have these 4 folders:

appdata

desktop

apps

menu

When you download a PND (Firefox for example) if you put it in the 'menu' folder it will show up in the menu (the pandora icon on bottom left, or pandora button in between the nubs). As a web browser, it will appear in the 'Network' category there.

When you put a PND in the 'desktop' folder, it will appear as an icon on the pandora's desktop - but not in the menu.

When you put a PND in the 'apps' folder, it will appear in both the menu and on the desktop.

That's all there is to 'installation'.

If a program comes with a helpfile or documentation, it will now show up under 'Documentation' in the menu.

When you run any program for the first time, it will create a folder for itself in the 'appdata' folder - some emulators require that any Roms or Bios files go into a specific folder that will now be in there.

Most emulators will let you place Roms anywhere, like Pcsx does (I keep mine in a folder in /pandora/roms - with folders for each system in there) and navigate to them in the file selector, but some don't - so run any program once before you start creating folders for it, the PND will create it's own folders as it requires.

Now the .PND files are working, but I can't seem to make the emulators find the ROMs.
Give an example - such as what emulator you are using, and where your roms are (for example, PcsxReARMed emulator, and roms in /pandora/roms/playstation)

If, in the emulator's file selector to load roms, you are able to navigate to the folder where you have put roms - but can't see any listed, then mention what the files are (.zip, .Rar .Iso - the filename and extension, in case it's incompatible, someone will recognise the problem).

am just going to use snes 9x4p as an example for now and can edit for a more specific emu later.

I open snes9x4p (or whichever emu you like) and it states no files detected.

To make the roms visable i click x to go back a menu to untill i get back to making the selection of which sd card to pick (on other emulators there might be a differnt button to scrole back to the sd card selection)

I then choose the sd card that the roms are stored on. So i select PANDORA64GB(thats what i named my sd card), i now click the pandora folder, i now select the appdata folder (this is where i saved my roms folder), i now select the folder that the snes roms are saved in (my folder is called snes roms) all your roms shold now be listed on your screen just click the rom you wish to play and it should load up (This process id generally the same most of the emulators).

so my diretories at the top of the screen looks like this /PANDORA64GB/pandora/appdata/ROMS/SNES ROMS.

If it's a problem of not being able to find your SD card in the emulator's own file selector, you need to go back (the .. dots) until you see 'media' and when you select that you should see the names of any sd cards you have inserted, and be able to proceed to your Roms folder on it from there.

Some Emulators -not many, but some - such as the various MAME versions (Mame4all, PanMame) require that their Roms are in a specific location - they don't let you browse for them elsewhere.

If it's one of those, then look in their documentation, or if you look in the 'appdata' folder after you've run the emulator, there will be a folder belonging to it (the name should be similar if not identical to the pnd).

In there (in Mame4all for example) there may be a 'roms' folder where they have to go.

Okay, I got everything running well...for a while until some tmp error occurred and made the SD card unreadable. I also couldn't run every game I loaded into the roms folder of MAME4all.

Are all of your MAMe roms from the same rom sets? Mame4All only supports the 0.37b5 rom set. Also there is a pc program called clrmamepro which could help you: "clrmamepro is a tool that checks your ROMs against a database. It reports any missing or incorrect data and can correct some errors."

Back