Gigas Engine 0.7.5

anyho, slightly off-topic: I'm having a fit, I'm so pissed off at the ignorance in the thread, considering of moving to this section only, the intolerance of this forum in general is starting to piss me off :/

and I thought this place was different :(

I think ure main problem with RE: the comp is that, to reap the benifits and understand GIGAS to the full, u need to be experimenting for a good few hours

whereas, if a SNES emulator was entered, u could just put Mario World on ure SMC and see how well it runs compared to the previous version

aight, just got a bit pissed at the whole damn thing, and decided it's for the best for myself not to go outside the Gigas Engine subforum; some people here just piss me off terribly, and yes I might've overreacted, but I'm getting sick of people trying to ruin the fun for other people: it's like some people in here really enjoy stuff like that; I find the attitude highly puberal (which I feared when I first joined here, and which I thought that I would never see here - it looked like a friendly community) and it pisses me off.

I also get pissed off when people openly insult each other for the sake of it, but then u gotta say to ureself:
'FUCK IT'

I feel sad that u felt it neccessary to do that, but i also understand, in the GIGAS engine forum we all seem to get alng and no one seems to argue, altho i admit o get pissed of if a n00b posts several times asking about the most obvious thing, but hey, I did it wen i was a n00b.

Uhuh, we have a pretty decent lot here in the Gigas Engine forum - the Dev forum is pretty cool too, i try to stay away from "general chat" unless i have to.

Uhuh, we have a pretty decent lot here in the Gigas Engine forum - the Dev forum is pretty cool too, i try to stay away from "general chat" unless i have to.
I don't even know what forum I'm posting in (unless I'm posting a topic). All seems the same to me :rolleyes:.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, this is OT, but I end up clicking View New Posts and almost anything interesting is in off-topic :D

Pirotic excuse my ignorance but is Gigas going to be open source? It would be cool at least to customise the battle engine, either in code or through the editing interface. RM2K was a decent engine for everything but combat, which kind of sucked (generic Magic/Item/Attack/Run) and customising it basically meant thousands of new triggers and events making RM2K do something it wasn't designed for. I haven't had the pleasure of messing around with 2003.

IMHO combat is the most important part of an RPG, because even without plot you can still have fun slaying enemies, and regardless combat is generally something the user will be doing for a lot of his game time. If all the games had the same battle engine then there would be a thread of genericity in all Gigas games. I'm not good with ideas about how to customise it through scripts, though. That's why I ask if eventually it will be open sourced, but I understand the benefits of one runtime executable. Another perk to open source is someone porting the runtime to Windows, if you haven't done so already ;)

Do you think you should get all your health back when you level up? at the moment it just 'adds on' the extra HP you earn from leveling up, but i remember some Squaresoft games used to give you full health as a reward for leveling up
Why not have the Pokemon method in as an option at least; have the same % HP when you level up?

Eg. You had 8/10HP, you level up to level two, you now have 16/20 HP. If the number is x.5, you round up :D

And Pirotic... sheesh, I don't mean to be rude, but forget about that whole CPC thing already! :)
You may have lost people's respect at some point, but the thing is, you've gained it all back and made yourself a lot more credible in the process. Kudos to you for admitting that the CPC emulator never made it past the "scanning ROMS" stage! personally, I admire anybody who admits that he made a mistake and then LEARNS from it and does something productive. Maybe there are a few people on the board who think that this politics and that a mistake, no matter how far back in a person's life and no matter what they have achieved since then, can never be forgiven and must be brought up AGAIN and AGAIN. Well, I, and I think the great majority of people here, think that that's a very shallow way of looking at things. Maybe craigix will eventually come around; I don't think he's so unreasonable... I don't think you should complain about him right now, though. He called you a dickhead- well, so what? :huh:

hehe, anyway - we should keep this discussion on gigas :)

I love coding, its relaxing for me - and i should have every right to say what im working on (on my homepage). i dont feel i should really have to apologize if a project gets canceled or something i attempted just wasn't possible :p

its a hobby, im not making money from it, and peoples lives dont depend on it - but some people are so obsessed with the gp32 scene, and the politics behind it all, they think its ok to insult thoose who dont do what they want them to.

"release this, release that, prove this, prove that"

i'd rather just stay quiet and get on with it :D

The only reason i bothered discussing it, is because some feel i mislead them and lied about how much progress i had made on that project, so i felt i should at least admit i said stuff was done when it wasn't (on my website)... i suppose 'done' is a matter of oppinion, i consider something 'done' when i start coding it, rather than when i finish it, as with alot of open source projects they carry on being improved and added to well after the final release, but sometimes you hit a brick wall - which is what happened with that project, and when i say somethings done, and then say its cancelled.. it doesn't make sense to most people, which i can understand.

I've met some good friends here, and i now only discuss my future projects with these people i trust, and if i ever do continue that project - it'll be these people who get sent test releases.

sooooo.. thats that cleared up hopefully ;)

*thinks what hes added into gigas lately to talk about*

erm.. working on a fancy title screen/save game menu system at the moment, going to do items once thats done, writing some sort of story for my RPG which i'll start making with it soonish.

annnnnd i'm in the planning stages for a new ambitious GP32 project, but i've learnt not to discuss about it in forums until i have something to show.. but it wont distract from my work on gigas so dont worry :) its totally different.

i have a few ideas, now gigas is coming together nicely i need to pick one and expand upon it.

i'd like to make another game creator (platforms, RTS etc) but i'll wait for gigas to reach 1.0.0 before that, having two similar projects on the go at once would probably tire me out.

no, no its not.

aaaaaanyway, c'mon ppl. send me your sheets!

I want to update the site :(

have none :) well I have some, but I've decided to - egoistically - keep them to myself, at least until I have a beta ready :)

little request time for 0.7.5.:

if you ever start coding music, a loop function and a timer function would be nice (startplay at 3 min, quit at 9 min eg)

if that's at all possible :)

Back