Gigas Engine 0.7.5

Opps, sorry.

probably clicked 'Quote' instead of reply. Pets would be cool but im already working on a second gp32 game with that sort of idea, so it'd be silly to repeat it inside of gigas.

anybody made any cool demos with gigas yet? no point releasing the next version if nobody is using it anymore ;)

well i think evryone is waiting for a edito on the pc. its hard to make it all on gp, also there are still some esential things left, so go on :) gigas is nice and have much potential

i'm not waiting for an editor on the pc :p

incidentally, does anyone know of a good freeware paint program for windows that i can use to edit/convert the spritesheets from that big resourse page? (and can someone remind me of the url for that pls?

i hope gigas continues to develop... it's looking to be one of the best things (if not *the* best thing on gp32...) :)

mad props to pirotic :)

oh! cheers for that, i thought it was just for linux :)

right, now. my thoughts, questions and suggestions for the current build of gigas

i like it. it runs smoothly, has a lot of nice features, and appears to be pretty flexible with regards to what has been implemented so far. the demo shows off a few nice RPG-style features, like the long cutscene at the beginning, the shopkeeper telling you off, the 'WARNING: BATTLE ROOM' graphic that comes up before you fight the many links etc. the demo is unfinished, but then again, it is just a demo.

(which is why i'm going to make my first attempt something very unambitious... very short, minimal RPG-cliche plot (rescue the princess, or something) but with a beginning, middle and end)

gigas, as it stands now, seems fully capable of this. not a fully-featured RPG, but more like a puzzle/exploration story-driven slash-em-up with a 'levelling up' element. plenty to be getting on with.

questions :

is it possible to have a hotspot/cutscene appear when you have defeated all the enemies/a specific enemy in a room?

is it possible to have interactive conversations with NPCs or is it just 'click to listen'?

suggestions:

SOUND SUPPORT! arguably the thing most lacking in gigas right now. while everything else i can think of has a workaround or can be worked around (hotspots can be disguised as critical items like keys, for example, or if your idea really isn't possible yet, find another way to play the game, while keeping the same story), sound and music (and a litle bit of sampled speech) enhances the gameplay experience no end. witness the amount of people who won't play emulators without sound (myself included)

TWEAKS TO THE COMBAT SYSTEM: at the moment it's a bit airy-fairy... my sword doesn't connect with the baddies, it just swishes through them like there's nothing there. it should knock them back a bit at least, and maybe change their graphic to an 'uh! i've been hit!' one for a moment..
also there is no way to defend. at the moment, battle tactics seem to be 'strike, then run away until the meter charges back up, then run in for another strike, then run away again etc...' not the behaviour of a hero. if you both strike at the same time, your swords should *clang* and you both get knocked apart, with no loss of power meter.. (or health)

ALSO:
a 'show tile properties' option in the editor would be nice, with a summary of hotspots on this tile, co-ordinates of the tile (for easier teleport setup) , etc...

an option so that characters can't walk through each other... i know some RPGs allow this and some don't... an option to decide would be good.

hey, Pirotic, these aren't 'gimme gimme gimme now now now' suggestions, because i know you've got other projects on the go, but pleeease don't give up on gigas completely... :)

phew i'm worn out with all this typing. i'm going for a dump :p

toxibunny posted on Sep 26 2004 at 04:06 PM said:
questions :

is it possible to have a hotspot/cutscene appear when you have defeated all the enemies/a specific enemy in a room?

is it possible to have interactive conversations with NPCs or is it just 'click to listen'?

1. not yet

2. not yet

Last edited by a moderator:
Deleted User posted on Sep 26 2004 at 04:10 PM said:
toxibunny posted on Sep 26 2004 at 04:06 PM said:
questions : 

1. not yet

2. not yet

you can have the conversations change, so you can have somebody say "congratulations" once you've finished a task etc.. but you can't do a multiple-choice dialog thingy.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah i've got a couple of things done using multiple/oddly-placed hotspots, etc...

at the moment i've got a field with animated flowers, a house with a basement, a signpost with a broken bridge, a closed gate, a moogal thingy that says various things... not much, but i'm learning... got basic map-building, basic hotspots, and basic triggers sorted, i think... also a little use of cutscenes...

next comes attack animation, hopefully a few effects (using custom character graphics and cutscenes), a couple of dungeons with baddies in, hotspots to say if the tasks have been done, and a 'well done' screen at the end.

is it true that a hotspot can have only one function at a time? say if i define a teleport hotspot and i activate 'yes' for a trigger as well, it will only do the teleport?

erm... please try this as well? it's workable (by having a couple of hotspots in the same place/very near)... umm...

i personally would make a larger effort if there was a pc Editor cus i just dont have the patience to do all that editing on the gp32 no matter how much i would like to make a RPG. so i think there should be a pc editor that u can then use to compile games into .fxe files

evildragon has said that he might look into making a PC editor so *fingers crossed*

i'm enjoying the way things are going at the moment. the editor is a lot easier to use than i thought it would be, and with the improvements suggested in this thread (i'm thinking copy/paste of large map segments) it's gonna get even easier :)

(bear in mind pirotic's got a few plates spinning ATM)

what i'd *eventually* like for GIGAS is to be able to compile to an .EXE ;) instant user base expantion by about %5,000 :D

once the GP32 version is done i'll port it to the PC.

games will be compatible with one another, but the editing interface would be totally re-done for the PC version, the interface to the GP32 versions is pretty much all you can do with a 320x240 resolution without cluttering up the screen to much.

Like i said before, i have a new build which is pretty much ready to be released - but i have a couple of things left in the 'to do' list. problem is because i haven't touched the code for so long i've forgotton how most of it works, may force myself to sit down and get it done today tho.

I totally rewrote the load/save technique, so that you can have unique savegames - however, i have memory problems so i've totally forgotton how i 'changed' the loading/saving system in the first place.

luckily i write tons of stuff down when im coding, what i've done, whats left to do, what needs completing, so i'm going to get that done today and hopefully get a new version released today or tomorrow.

i'll post again in a few hours to let you know how it went.

w00t!

good news, spent a couple of hours looking back over the code and managed to figure it all out again, even fixed a couple of bugs nobody had noticed before and got it running a bit smoother.

0.7.1 is done, i've compiled it and written the documentation and updated the editing guide for it, just need some time to play around and look for bugs and i'll get it released (probably tomorrow).

i'll let you know when its released, ta

woohoo. been waiting for this a long time. maby i can start making some good mini games :D

Very nice :) - I want to get back into fiddling around with Gigas sometime soonish. Probably on the way to and from work or whatever... Still need to give my old maps a touch up job though... Sewers are really awkward lol.

Actually, speaking of sewers, anyone know where I could find the tileset for the Chrono Trigger ones? They'd probably work quite well and might make the map as a whole look a little better :)

Hiya lads, as promised i've released 0.7.1

please post feedback and bug reports in the "0.7.1" thread, and keep suggestions and improvements which you'd like to see in the upcoming "0.7.5" in this thread.

I never planned on releasing 0.7.1, as i hoped i'd find enough time to get all the features coded for 0.7.5, but as i've been so busy with work and other projects i felt i should release 'whats done' just to let you all know im still working on the project (abeit slowly for now).

thanks!

I need to learn to code. And then combine gp final war with gigas! Then add a touch of pokemon RPG and Some yugioh style card game and then i have the ultimate game. WIth a garnishing of command and conquer.

feature request : support for 4-frame walking animations 'left middle right middle'

also support for extra poses/animations (for during cutscenes)

excellent job so far, got my sprites working! (i think it was bmp2bin not overwriting properly...)

oh, and one more thing someone mentioned already in this thread... do something to the collission detection so you can walk through areas like this:

XXOXX
XXOXX (X=collision on, O=off)
XXOXX

it already lets you walk horizontally through this:

XXXXX
OOOOO
XXXXX

but the vertical one isn't good, for some reason...

sorry for moaning! :p

Back