Gigolo Is Just Broken

mindlord

Notices Two Things
Website
Visit site
In it's current state, Gigolo is flat out broken and (almost) useless. It pretends to to it's job, but can't because it's missing critical pieces of anatomy.

It can mount local filesystems correctly, but then so can thunar, so this is a redundant and useless function. The main reason to use Gigolo is to mount remote filesystems easily, and without having to use the terminal, and to save passwords in your keychain.

First-off the fuse kernel module is not loaded, which is bad enough since fuse allows users to mount filesystem without needed root access. just add the word fuse to the end of /etc/modules.conf to activate fuse permanently if you want it, or sudo modprobe fuse as needed.

Sadly, this isn't enough to get Gigolo working. gvfs-fuse is a required package for Gigolo. It contains the magic required to let Gigolo create the shared folders in ~/.gvfs on the users behalf, and it is not in the Angstrom repos. Gigolo will run, and will connect to the remote server, but without this bridge to fuse, can't create the mountpoint for the user, and thus... lame duck.

I'm working on compiling this from source, but if I or no one else is able to get this package to work. There is no reason to have Gigolo or gvfs installed since they can't perform their intended function. That is unless gvfs isn't being used for libPnd, or something else important for the local system.

Okay so I'm fiddling around with my Pandora, getting ready to set up a bootable USB drive... yes I said USB drive... big whoop, wanna fight about it? When I innocently type "mount" in a terminal and find the line:
Code:
gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/boredmind/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,user_id=1000,group_id=1001)
tucked in my list of mounts. Now, I had been playing with compiling and installing gvfs 1.6.something but it wasn't working... or so I thought.

Sooo.. I fire up gigolo and see if I can mount an sftp share I had setup on my office computer, and ... it worked?! I don't know if something I did fixed it, or if it might have been something in Hotfix 3? Can anyone else confirm that mount produces a line similar to the one above, and the gigolo works for mounting sftp shares for them?

If it turns out that my blundering around with gvfs 1.6.something-or-another produced a working gvfs-fuse-daemon I'll package it up for inclusion in the next hotfix or something.

Alerino said:
i use 'Connect to server' on Ubuntu to sftp Pandora. Just had to enable SSH on port 443

am i missing something?

[image]

and Pandora shows automatically in Network Places when connected

Other way around, connect from Pandora to a remote Desktop's share. Which up until today never worked for me using gigolo on the Pandora. It always failed to create the mountpoint in /home/boredmind/.gvfs

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want you can try this:

Code:
echo fuse | sudo tee -a /etc/modutils/fuse
reboot and see if gigolo creates the mount point in /home/username/.gvfs

By the way, clicking on the icon created in the gigolo window won't work because it expects nautilus to be available, and it isn't. Fix for that behavior:
add the following lines to your ~/.local/share/applications/defaults.list so that Thunar is used to open folders by gvfs-open:

Code:
x-directory/gnome-default-handler=Thunar.desktop
inode/directory=Thunar.desktop
x-directory/normal=Thunar.desktop

You can still open thunar, hit ctrl-h to reveal the hidden folders and navigate to .gvfs. On xfce systems I often create a link to .gvfs on the desktop and rename it "Remote Filesystems"

mindlord said:
If you want you can try this:

Code:
echo fuse | sudo tee -a /etc/modutils/fuse
reboot and see if gigolo creates the mount point in /home/username/.gvfs

Still seems to be broken, Gigolo connects to the share but doesn't create the mount as far as I can see. I have installed HotFix3 and I can do the reverse fine (ie connecting to a share on the Pandora from another machine).

is that robbie the robot kool65?

btw in another thread sebt3 mentioned to add fuse to the modules do

sudo su -c 'echo fuse >>/etc/modules'

and that worked at least for loading fuse :)

Bosbeetle said:
is that robbie the robot kool65?

btw in another thread sebt3 mentioned to add fuse to the modules do

sudo su -c 'echo fuse >>/etc/modules'

and that worked at least for loading fuse :)

Yep that's Robby :)

I did a modprobe fuse, it loads the module fine but still no go with Gigolo. I'll just work with it using the Pandora as the samba server for now.

Ok, so that means it must have been something I did when compiling it from scratch. So, not an easy fix then. I'll see if I can make an IPK that the team can include in a hotfix or something.

I've nailed this down. After a fresh reinstall I got gigolo to work with these steps:

Code:
sudo opkg update
sudo opkg install gvfsd-sftp sshfs-fuse
sudo mousepad /etc/modutils/fuse
type "fuse" save and quit
sudo update-modules
reboot

If this doesn't work for you let me know

edit: mistyped the install line

mindlord said:
Code:
sudo opkg install gvfsd-sshfs sshfs-fuse
This fails with:
Code:
opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package gvfsd-sshfs
Which isn't entirely helpful.
This:
Code:
sudo opkg install --verbosity 2 gvfsd-sshfs
Results in a segmentation fault.

daffy said:
mindlord said:
Code:
sudo opkg install gvfsd-sshfs sshfs-fuse
This fails with:
Code:
opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package gvfsd-sshfs
Which isn't entirely helpful.
This:
Code:
sudo opkg install --verbosity 2 gvfsd-sshfs
Results in a segmentation fault.

Did you remember to opkg update?

-God Ginrai

Possibly useful: it said that sshfs-fuse (2.2-r0.5) was already up to date.

d'oh speedy fingers makes for many mistakes. That an I was typing it in the wee hours on my Pandora. :eek:

it should be:
Code:
sudo opkg install gvfsd-sftp

If all goes well you should see a line very similar to:
Code:
gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/boredmind/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,user_id=1000,group_id=1001)
when you type mount in the terminal

OMG mindlord, you fucking legend!!

everyday the pandora gets better and better!!

thank you!

Getting gigolo working was a priority for me. Perhaps ED can decide how they want to approach fixing this in the firmware. The fuse module doesn't have to be loaded if a person does not intend to use gigolo, but it appears that in order to get it to work correctly the gvfs must see it loaded at boot-time or it skips loading the fuse daemon. The fuse module is pretty small, and so is the gvfsd fuse daemon... so it's not that big a hit.

mindlord said:
Getting gigolo working was a priority for me. Perhaps ED can decide how they want to approach fixing this in the firmware. The fuse module doesn't have to be loaded if a person does not intend to use gigolo, but it appears that in order to get it to work correctly the gvfs must see it loaded at boot-time or it skips loading the fuse daemon. The fuse module is pretty small, and so is the gvfsd fuse daemon... so it's not that big a hit.
Yes, I know that this is thread necromancy, but could you post a bug report about this at http://bugs.openpandora.org? This way this at least won't be forgotten and someone might eventually have a look at it (and even fix it ;) ).

Back