Gizmondo Cracked?

Oh my!, its got an Arm processor....sweet. I'm getting one, sod the PSP.

Wait. I can buy it for £100 cheaper if I let then spam me to death. Mmmm, tough call.

I'm waiting to see how the scene develops for this one anyway.

I would follow whatever machine Reesy gets! If they crack it, and Reesy gets one, so will I....

Looking at the Gizmondo sales figures, I'd be suprised if they have enough companies signed up to be able to spam you to death - more like one a day or something like that (although I could of course be talking crap, and you could get one a minute).

I'll certainly get one if the hack is verified as real.

Looking at the Gizmondo sales figures, I'd be suprised if they have enough companies signed up to be able to spam you to death - more like one a day or something like that (although I could of course be talking crap, and you could get one a minute).

I'll certainly get one if the hack is verified as real.
Yes of course, i havent come on here to make stuff up about the Gizmondo being cracked, this guy mentioned that he got some unsigned code to run and is currently trying to port some wince app, but like you until i see anything i will wait and see...but sounds promising...
Regarding the smartadds, its upto 3 a day but will only show up when you return to the main menu and not interupt your game or film etc, so far there are 39 advertisers, see smartadds.com for details etc
But as i say personally i dont think the Gizmondo will last past christmas, and since the smartadds were supposed to start in may and have yet to be come out, its all probably being put back until the US launch in August along with the tomtom software and best games...
But to anyone who owns a Gizmondo will know, you can put the Gizmondo into 'flight mode' which basically turns the mms/sms email, gps off to stop interferring with aircraft or inside hospitals etc and this function will also stop the gprs adverts reaching your console as well, you only receive them once you turn it on again, but if you dont want or need the gprs, mms functions then you will NEVER receive any adverts...

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, you can buy this for 29 pounds just for having some adds?

How to they get these ads to you? Has this thing internet connection? What if just not connect to the net? No ads? :blink:

How to they get these ads to you? Has this thing internet connection? What if just not connect to the net? No ads? :blink:
It's £229 at normal retail no ads version and £129 for the cheapers smart ads version.

If you can turn off the gps etc.. that sounds more promising as I wouldn't want it as a phone anyway. (Would you really want to whip that thing out if you wanted to phone for a taxi)?
But if it does get cracked and some decent homebrew starts appearing I think it would definately be worth taking a look at.

The adds are sent via GPRS are are paid for by the advertiser, hence why only vodafone is the sim supplier in the uk as a deal with them has been made, also why a delay in europe has happened in getting the right sim supplier to offer a similar offer so they can send the smartadds out.
And yes if no connection then no adds..hence why i stated the flight mode option, sure you cant play games over gprs or send receive mms, but thats not what most of you want it for anyway...

Now THIS is a nice turn of events... finally some people are actually being POSITIVE about this thing... I really was starting to think I was about the only person who was interested in it.

If Reesy get's on board I'm definatley asking my wife to get me one for Xmas!

You guys with your ceaseless comments about the screen, seriously, you're starting to get as bad as the fanboys who always turn any DS or PSP thread into a flame war. Please just stay out of the Giz threads from now on?? We finally got a good thread going with good info and people being positive, just keep your comments to yourself.

I had hands on experience with the Giz at E3 and though it's not the coolest looking system, it definately is comfortable to hold, the screen is not that small, is well lit, and is reflective like DS screens. It was bright and vivid, and that Rally Racing game looked SWEET. Also the Colors game looked really good graphically.

This really is a good time to be into handhelds and homebrew... things have just blown up from when it was just the GBA.

Colour's does look excellent but I wouldn't rush out and but one yet, the games are going to dry up after it is launched worldwide, then the company will go tits up, and then you can buy it for dirt.

To be fair, the screen is small, but that doesn't make it a bad system. It was a useless machine until it was cracked however (assuming this was true).

Everybody loves the Gamegear in some quasi-retro "aww look at that the battery life was rubbish, isn't that cute" sort of way, and that had a miniscule screen.

To be fair, the screen is small, but that doesn't make it a bad system. It was a useless machine until it was cracked however (assuming this was true).

Everybody loves the Gamegear in some quasi-retro "aww look at that the battery life was rubbish, isn't that cute" sort of way, and that had a miniscule screen.
Whats peoples problem with screensize, just because the Gp32 had a 3.5" screen doesnt make the Gamegear, Lynx, Pc Engine GT, Gameboy / Color / GBA / DS / Gizmondo etc bad systems, 10's of millions of people have got along fine with these systems....and really when it comes down to it what IS a proper handheld? a system that you can take in your pocket? if so then the GBA and Gizmondo win that accolade...the screen is fine, i originally sold my GP32 (before the blu came out) because of the screen was so crap, not in size but badly reflective and couldnt see the dam screen unless under a lamp!
Its not as if the zodiac people come on here saying look at the crap screen size of the Gp32, how can you even see the game on that?! followed by owners of mini laptops with a 8.9 " screen ....you get my point

Whats peoples problem with screensize, just because the Gp32 had a 3.5" screen doesnt make the Gamegear, Lynx, Pc Engine GT, Gameboy / Color / GBA / DS / Gizmondo etc bad systems, 10's of millions of people have got along fine with these systems....and really when it comes down to it what IS a proper handheld? a system that you can take in your pocket? if so then the GBA and Gizmondo win that accolade...the screen is fine, i originally sold my GP32 (before the blu came out) because of the screen was so crap, not in size but badly reflective and couldnt see the dam screen unless under a lamp!
Its not as if the zodiac people come on here saying look at the crap screen size of the Gp32, how can you even see the game on that?! followed by owners of mini laptops with a 8.9 " screen ....you get my point

No one said that it is *bad* just that it has a small screen. It is hard to go backwards in that area for some of us. There is not much point going from a system with a larger screen to a smaller one unless it has something really great on it. Right now the giz isn't too exciting. The commercial games are better on the PSP and there is more of them, plus the screen is much bigger. If you were going to get another portable the PSP makes more sense than the Giz, to me at least.

that's one point I can't argue, the PSP does make more sense than the Gizmondo right now.

But imagine in some months time when really good commercial games start coming for the PSP, and they all force update, and newer FW's get harder and harder to crack, and we all have to decide at some point that we want commercial games over homebrew. And then it comes time that the only way to play homebrews on PSP is with a chip installed, which some may not want to do.

Then the Gizmondo gets fully cracked or better yet the company realizes they can't compete with PSP and DS and make it open source and all these great things come for it, considering it is very close in power to PSP (don't argue this please, I've seen one and played one for myself and graphically it isn't too far behind! and specs it is same or even better than PSP!), there could be all these great emu's on it and homebrew with the same stuff we want for PSP that we can't get on GP32, like better Mame and Neo Geo support.

Then the price of the thing will go down as sales won't be that good, and suddenly many of you won't think it so worthless anymore :D

All speculation, I know, but it's not farfetched speculation... it's very much in the realm of possibility these things would all come to pass.

But for now, yes the PSP just makes more sense in every way.

yeah, but i don't think the giz will ever make sense, especially with its price tag. might as well pick up a 1.5 psp now instead of an overpriced gizmondo later if you're only after homebrew.

Back