Gizmondo Guts (big!)

Squidge

Certified Guru
Website
Visit site
I've ripped apart my Giz and taken photos. Unfortunately, it looks like most of the good stuff is hidden under a metal panel that the display sits on.

IMG_0090.JPG

IMG_0091.JPG

IMG_0092.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG

IMG_0094.JPG

IMG_0095.JPG

IMG_0096.JPG

I've now removed all the metal shields (including the ones under the display).

On the backside:

To the left of the camera is the SiRF GPS module. To the left of that seems to be some kind of clock generation. I've no idea whats next (to the left) of the SD card module, seems like some kind of DSP - probably audio based, as I don't see any other kind of audio on the PCB.

To the right of the simcard is the all the stuff for the mobile phone part of the giz.

Front:

Apart from the obvious battery, I've no idea what the chip is in the left corner.

Removing the display and the metal shields underneath, we find the Samsung processor (a S3C2440A-40), the NVidia GoForce 4500, Flash memory with a "Factory V1" label stuck on it, and two lots of mobile SDRAM (K4S56163LF). From this we know that Jensonb is a complete liar smile.gif, as the K4S56163LF is 268,435,456 bits synchronous high data rate Dynamic RAM organized as 4 x 4,196,304 words by 16 bits. So that means 64MB of RAM shared between the NVidia and Samsung chips (32mb each).

So, now the fun part of putting it back together smile.gif

Since that part is the cellular phone part, it has the IMEI number on it, and I don't want you lot knowing the IMEI number of my Giz :)

darn, you stole my Cellphone!

To prove it:

my IMEI is .......errr........pixel...er.pixxel......actualy it's a whole bunch of pixels. And the cellphone you are showing has also a lot of pixels, so it's mine. Give it to me ;) :D :lol:

Twimfy posted on Jul 17 2005 at 02:03 AM said:
All the metal plating over the components probably means it's quite sturdy and hard to damage, how strong does the plastic case seem?

That is not for strength it is just RF shielding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Twimfy posted on Jul 17 2005 at 02:03 AM said:
All the metal plating over the components probably means it's quite sturdy and hard to damage, how strong does the plastic case seem?
I've been to the company that build the Gizmondo for Tiger - and they have a ruggedised version of it! It's like a brick with massive buttons on it - I think they were going to try marketing it as a military device or something...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back