Nvidia's Project Shield - 'Android & Tegra 4 inside'

I have to agree... hell I'm even wondering if Portal was better than HL2... Portal2 certainly was better...
Back in 2004 HL2 was amazing, there is a 5 year gap between HL2 and Portal so that's something to consider. Portal2 is an amazing game.. I've played it though several times.

Thanks Guys, I went ahead and grabbed them both. I figured showing support was the most important thing, so more games like this can be ported in the future.

I loved portal, and it's probably one of my top 10 all time games for sure. A really great experience. I enjoyed Portal 2, but I liked the original more, mainly because it was the introduction, and a lot of what made portal unique and special, became a been there, done that in the sequel. I did enjoy P2, just not as much as the first.

In regards to HL2, I've never been a FPS fan in general, but this seems worth a romp. The only FPS I've ever liked are the Metroid Prime series and the first Bioshock. These games weren't typical of the standard run & gun standard FPS fare. I'm gonna try to invest some time this week in HL2, and see how it goes early on. So time will tell how I feel overall.

Chris

Black Mesa is my fave (best of HL1 + 2).

=~. O =
I vote for Aperture science!

edit: what's the appeal of a company run by evil mens in suits when you can have a company run by an evil mad AI?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Guys, I went ahead and grabbed them both
So how do they play on the Shield ? 
I haven't played HL2 yet, but I've been playing Portal and it runs rather good. I haven't noticed any issues thus far. I originally played on the 360, and the graphics are much sharper on the Shields smaller screen, than they where on my HD TV.

I've read over at the Shield forums that Portal runs the best between the two games due to a more simple level layout, but HL2 seems to get the thumbs up. Load times seem to be the biggest issues. Portal seems to load faster for me on Shield than it did on my 360.

Chris

Been playing hl2, its the first time ever playing it or any half life game, not sure if I understand what's actually happening in the story. Technically it runs really smooth, maybe a dip in fps every once in a while, overall feels like a normal console game.

Found some graphical glitches when going in and out of water, and loading screens take about 30 seconds. There's no loading animation so the wait looks like its frozen until the game continues the next scene. That last bit is my biggest complaint and at best its such a minor thing when considering what I'm playing natively on a mobile device. I think I might have spoiled myself a tad.

Just a heads up for those still Shieldless amongst us.. both HL2/Portal are playable as long as you have a Tegra 4 device (I have an Advent Vega Note 7) controller support for a wired XB360 pad & one of these or a PS3 controller via the Sixaxis tool

Have fun!

Just a heads up for those still Shieldless amongst us.. both HL2/Portal are playable as long as you have a Tegra 4 device (I have an Advent Vega Note 7) controller support for a wired XB360 pad & one of these or a PS3 controller via the Sixaxis tool

Have fun!
My brother got it working on his Asus Transformer.

I have some questions to you Shield Portable owners: Is it possible to play streamed games with a mouse (usb or bluetooth) directly on the device not on the tv? Is it possible to use the streaming function with an ati card? I want to play RPGs and Point'n'Click adventures on the couch without using a Tv. Thanks!

yep to the bt M&K, can be either in "console" or in "handheld" mode

No to the ATI video card

And maybe it will run with "VULKAN", formerly known as "GLNext" :D

https://www.khronos.org/vulkan

2015-vk-image-8a.png

Muchas gracias! I think i will try to get one, would be so nice to play Dragon Age on the couch.

WTF is NVIDIA thinking? They've just wasted a perfectly good SoC. Give it to ED if they don't know what to do with it for god sake!

Back