Global climate change vs. the ozone layer

diligentcircle

Website
onpon4.github.io
I was looking through my Newgrounds account yesterday (something I rarely do) just to look back at the reviews I'd written, and I noticed something very funny.

My review was for this game:

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/458546

Basically, it's a pretty bad game attempting to be about global climate change. At the end boss, your health is the "ozone layer". Now, anyone who knows anything about climate change and the ozone layer knows that the depletion of the ozone layer and global climate change are completely different and unrelated; the depletion of the ozone layer was caused in the 20th century by aerosols which have since been banned or severely regulated by governments. Global climate change, on the other hand, is caused by increased atmospheric carbon dioxide, resulting in more heat being trapped. While the exact effects of global climate change are uncertain, too thin of an ozone layer is well-known to mean that more dangerous ultraviolet radiation from the sun would make it to the surface of the planet, which in short would not be a good thing. Actually, aerosols which deplete the ozone layer also have a cooling effect on the Earth, exactly the opposite of the effect of greenhouse gases. In fact, this is related to the incorrect global cooling conjecture that was so excessively publicized by the media during the 1970s; aerosols resulted in a slight temperature decline around that time.

So this was my review:

Global Warming and the ozone layer are completely unrelated...

I rated it 7/10. I figured the "ozone layer" thing was just a simplification and, if anything, I would get a response saying something like "yeah, haha, but I couldn't think of anything else that would work for health". But he responded, about 3 months after I posted the review, like this:

Go back and pass primary school, then tell me that.

It's OK to be wrong. I'm probably wrong about a lot of things. But when you act arrogantly, you're pretty much giving everyone else a license to point and laugh at you. And honestly, it's kind of hilarious that he actually believes ozone has anything to do with global climate change.

Actually, come to think of it, almost none of this game has anything to do with global climate change. Lots of "pick up the trash" levels, and even a silly "remember the design of the hovercar" level. The only one that has anything to do with climate change is "stop the evil hybrid cars" and the end boss.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back