Ĝmu 0.5.0 Released!

Great player, the only problem is that it will stutter at anything under 200mhz, and if Im using it for an mp3 player, i want it to last as long as possible.

great update! i appreciate seeing time remaining vs. time elapsed. i also noticed that you improved the gradient in volume settings, great :)

things i'm looking forward to most:

- option to display cover artwork on playlist screen (looks great with the old white font with black boarder)

Don't worry, I will add that. :)

- option to turn backlight on again when switching the track switches (BacklightPowerOnTrackChange=yes). this would be slick during random play, glance at the gp2x to see what just came on.

I like this idea. I haven't thought about that before.

- fast forward/rewind in tracks

A little more patience is neccessary, but yes I will add this as well.

thanks again for the best player wejp!

edit: i can't figure out how to set the keys to scroll stretched album art up and down, after skimming through default.keymap and README ... i know i had this working before ... any hints?! edit2: i got it! you can move the cover art work up and down if you toggle away the text.

Yeah, this is neccesary to be able to scroll both the text and the cover.

Great player, the only problem is that it will stutter at anything under 200mhz, and if Im using it for an mp3 player, i want it to last as long as possible.

This is a little strange. I have just checked it myself and you should be able to go down to 150 MHz for all file formats (some play fine at even less MHz). If you are using large cover images, you could either try to reduce the image sizes (large images take a while to load and resize), or disable cover loading and check if that changes anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
wejp, are you planning to add an equalizer tool?

I must admit that I'm not a big fan of equalizers in media players, but as a few other people have asked me about that too, I consider adding an equalizer in the future. But if I actually do that it will be optional of course.

- fast forward/rewind in tracks

A little more patience is neccessary, but yes I will add this as well.

hehe sorry, i hope it doesn't sound like i'm riding or nagging! i just mention the things of interest to me in case popular features get attacked more readily :)

another note: stability would be appreciated over new file formats (since there are still some mp3s that gmu freezes up on).

and maybe i'm a crazy audiophile but i always prefer no eq! i have two sets of headphones, open ear grado sr80s for when i can bother people around me and some in-ear buds from sony for library, etc. in both cases i'd rather clearly hear how the music sounds on them so i can get a feel for mixing my own tracks on them.

speaking of, i did a podcast recently with a track from m-.-n (guy who is programming the piggy tracker sequencer for gp2x), myself (made using piggy tracker) and some others ... there is a download link and in-browser player here:

http://odeo.com/audio/5985313/view

hehe sorry, i hope it doesn't sound like i'm riding or nagging! i just mention the things of interest to me in case popular features get attacked more readily :)

B)

another note: stability would be appreciated over new file formats (since there are still some mp3s that gmu freezes up on).

Most bugs in the mp3 decoder should be sorted out now. If there are still freezes, please first check that there are no large cover images in the same folder or disable cover loading. Then check the file that seemed to cause a crash, again. Keep in mind that an image (no matter if it is a jpg, png or bmp) with, lets say, 3000 x 2000 pixels needs almost 18 MB in memory, which is way too much for the GP2X that has a total of 32 MB available for the operating system and programs running.
I would recommend images with up to 350 x 350 pixels. Cover images from Amazon usually have a good size.

and maybe i'm a crazy audiophile but i always prefer no eq! i have two sets of headphones, open ear grado sr80s for when i can bother people around me and some in-ear buds from sony for library, etc. in both cases i'd rather clearly hear how the music sounds on them so i can get a feel for mixing my own tracks on them.

Yes, that's why I don't like equalizers. :)

speaking of, i did a podcast recently with a track from m-.-n (guy who is programming the piggy tracker sequencer for gp2x), myself (made using piggy tracker) and some others ... there is a download link and in-browser player here:

http://odeo.com/audio/5985313/view

Oh and onother thing!
Maybe some of you are interested in the two new skins that needcoffee has made for Gmu. One with the LCD at the top and the other with the LCD at the bottom.

gmu16.png

gmu15.png

Download: http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,52,2028

(Besides the Gmu skin the zip file includes a skin for the gp2x menu as well.)

can the skin be in only skin directoy without .gpu file to launch? why don't creat some zip file with all need for one skin?

can the skin be in only skin directoy without .gpu file to launch? why don't creat some zip file with all need for one skin?

The .gpu file is not needed for the skin. All you need is the .skin file in the Gmu directory and the data files in a sub folder under skin_data. In this case you need frugal_toplcd.skin and skin_data/frugal_toplcd/*.* (and or frugal_bottomlcd.skin and skin_data/frugal_bottomlcd/*.*).
When you don't want to use the gpu file (which is just fine) you can select the skin with the gmu setup tool.

Most bugs in the mp3 decoder should be sorted out now. If there are still freezes, please first check that there are no large cover images in the same folder or disable cover loading. Then check the file that seemed to cause a crash, again. Keep in mind that an image (no matter if it is a jpg, png or bmp) with, lets say, 3000 x 2000 pixels needs almost 18 MB in memory, which is way too much for the GP2X that has a total of 32 MB available for the operating system and programs running.
I would recommend images with up to 350 x 350 pixels. Cover images from Amazon usually have a good size.

you are right, the cover i was trying to load was 2000 pixels wide! :eek:

could gmu check the resolution of an image before trying to load the entire thing into ram? anyway, i will be more careful with resizing the cover images i download with net label releases!

nice playlists btw, i have listened to a lot of industrial in my day, but lean more towards techno and electro now. really whatever i dig in the creative commons pile up each week :)

you are right, the cover i was trying to load was 2000 pixels wide! :eek:

could gmu check the resolution of an image before trying to load the entire thing into ram? anyway, i will be more careful with resizing the cover images i download with net label releases!

Checking the image resolution first and then loading the image if it is small enough would be a good solution, but unfortunately SDL_Image does not support reading the image header without loading the image, which means I have to write image header parsers for every image format that is supported (or at least for jpeg, png and bmp). Eventually I will do that, but until then the only thing one can do is to check the image sizes and resize if neccessary (or disable cover artwork support).

nice playlists btw, i have listened to a lot of industrial in my day, but lean more towards techno and electro now. really whatever i dig in the creative commons pile up each week :)

I like both industrial and electro (and lots of other stuff). :)

Any thoughts of adding MP2 support to Gmu?

[The default player plays MP2 files providing the file is renamed to mp3]

Good job on the fix, haven't had any skipped files in my playlist now.
You know what i am still hoping for so i'll just keep my trap shut. =)
Oh and next to that thread i emailed you, i noticed the register that was set of the master volume in the "after" image actually had a lower volume setting than GMU's lowest.

Any thoughts of adding MP2 support to Gmu?

[The default player plays MP2 files providing the file is renamed to mp3]

That should be possible.
Hm, I need to find some mp2 files to test it though.

Good job on the fix, haven't had any skipped files in my playlist now.
You know what i am still hoping for so i'll just keep my trap shut. =)
Oh and next to that thread i emailed you, i noticed the register that was set of the master volume in the "after" image actually had a lower volume setting than GMU's lowest.

I will look at the volume stuff again, but I would really prefer to do everything through /dev/mixer instead of writing to the registers of the AC97 chip.

Back