Gmu Music Player 0.7.0_Beta7

wejp

Website
wejp.k.vu
I've just released a new version of the Gmu Music Player for the Wiz console. It comes with some new features and several bugfixes.

gmu99.png

Release Notes & Download

Excellent job, but could you update the one on the archive? ( http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,6,166 )
As it's still on Beta4 from the 27th of July!
Cheers, Neil

(I've left a comment on the archive)

I'll put this in here, because this seems to be the only player with a working developer:

First up: thank you. Gmu is the most responsive, best documented and most format-supporting player out there.

I have tried to find the player that best suits me, and have been torn between:
1) oompc2x
+ integrated playlist-editing (very, very well done)
+ database with search
- screen-off doesn't work for me
- no shutdown-option
- somewhat slow/sluggish

2) gmu
+ very fast/responsive
+ clear design (imo very important)
+ large config, everything optional
+ good volume control
+ screen-off (with timeout)
+ shutdown option
- only minimal playlist-editing
- can't load playlists through the filebrowser

3) inkl-player
+ screen-off (with timeout)
+ shutdown option
- somewhat slow/sluggish
- random playback does not exclude previously played tracks (and there's no way to change it)

I need a player that will let me move, append and delete things within my current playlist, that loads self-named playlist (this_is_music.m3u, etc), that will turn of the screen on a time-out, and that will shutdown the console, or at least itself after a certain time. Database is a cool addon, but I don't really need it since my file system is tidy.

Finally, my question: would it be possible to get a move-event into the playlist editing, and could it be made possible to load/"append to current" playlists that are not in the "magic"-list through the browser?

If that could be done I would be eternally grateful, as I think would many others be.

so long,
derdritte

Thanks for all your replies! :)

derdritte said:
Finally, my question: would it be possible to get a move-event into the playlist editing, and could it be made possible to load/"append to current" playlists that are not in the "magic"-list through the browser?
Yes, both features should be possible to implement. I'll consider these features for inclusion in the next releases. I can't tell you when it will be ready, though.
As quite a few people have asked me about the possibility to load arbitrary playlist files from the file browser, I guess I'll add that feature first and then improve playlist editing afterwards.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems shutdown doesn't work for me, it is defaulted to /sbin/shutdown. That isn't a file. /sbin/halt also no joy.
I am on 1.1.1 and everything else seems to work fine.

greetings,
derdritte

derdritte said:
It seems shutdown doesn't work for me, it is defaulted to /sbin/shutdown. That isn't a file. /sbin/halt also no joy.
I am on 1.1.1 and everything else seems to work fine.
Thanks for the information. Unfortunately I do not own a Wiz myself, so I can't test it. :/
You could try to use "/bin/busybox halt".

If anyone knows which command to use to shutdown the Wiz, it would be nice if you could let me know. :)

(Btw, on the Dingoo the shutdown works just fine.)

Nice job, wejp! :)

No, this don't work. The Wiz starts to shutdown but than loads and goto the menu...

Ta for the player... it's needed as the built-in one is shite. Any chance of AAC support?
A while ago someone else has asked about AAC already.
For AAC to work, it would be necessary to have a aac decoder library which relies on integer computation only. There might exist such a library, I haven't searched for one recently, as I do not own any AAC files myself. Due to the limited amount of spare time I can spend on developing Gmu I did not put any effort into that. Maybe, when I've implemented some other things that seem more important to me right now, I might have a look at that again. Beware though, that it will not be possible to play any aac files protected by a "copy protection" a.k.a. DRM, which has been done by several online music stores in the past.
Furthermore I've planned to release an (easy to use) API to the decoder interface of Gmu so that others can implement their own decoders if they wish. All of Gmu's decoders are implemented as plugins which are loaded dynamically at runtime. I wanted to have released that interface documentation already, but unfortunately there are still some things to do, which most likely will require some (minor) changes to the API. As I don't want to change that interface API later on, I'm still waiting with releasing that API documentation. Once done, this is meant to stay unchanged for future Gmu releases.

sbock said:
Nice job, wejp! :)
:)

No, this don't work. The Wiz starts to shutdown but than loads and goto the menu...
Looks like the halt command on the Wiz is broken. On the other hand there must be some way to shut down the device. If anybody has an idea how to do that, it would be nice if you would let me know. (I still don't have a Wiz myself so it is rather difficult for me to find a solution for that issue.)
I guess such a shutdown command could be useful in other cases as well.

wejp said:
Looks like the halt command on the Wiz is broken. On the other hand there must be some way to shut down the device. If anybody has an idea how to do that, it would be nice if you would let me know. (I still don't have a Wiz myself so it is rather difficult for me to find a solution for that issue.)
I guess such a shutdown command could be useful in other cases as well.
I've figured out a way of doing it through the GPH kernel, look in the development forum. It'd be nice to have a firmware independent one, but I don't have time right now to look at the registers it pokes.

Orkie said:
I've figured out a way of doing it through the GPH kernel, look in the development forum. It'd be nice to have a firmware independent one, but I don't have time right now to look at the registers it pokes.
Thanks. I'll have a look at the development forum.

Back