Gmu Music Player 0.7.0_Beta7

wejp

Website
wejp.k.vu
I've just released a new version of the Gmu Music Player for the GP2X running Open2X. It comes with some new features and several bugfixes.

gmu99.png

Release Notes & Download

For those of you who are interested in running Gmu on the stock firmware, this might also be possible with this version, but probably needs some tweaking (additional libraries).
As I currently don't have a GP2X with the GPH firmware, I cannot test it myself, but If you want to try that, you can send me a PM, so I can assist you.

would it be posible to add support to more formats, like OldPlay?
like midi, psf, nsf, vgz, mod, and the likes (i use OldPlay because of that. :p )

laharl said:
would it be posible to add support to more formats, like OldPlay?
like midi, psf, nsf, vgz, mod, and the likes (i use OldPlay because of that. :p )
There is already support for .mod files (and various other module formats like .s3m, .xm, .it etc.).
As for midi files: One would need a synthesizer to play midi files as they do not contain instruments information like modules do. That also means that it would never be possible to play midi files the way they are meant to sound. Midi is usually used to control musical instruments.
It might be possible to add midi support if the synthesizer used has a rather low cpu usage. The results might not be very satisfying, though.
What are those other formats (psf, nsf, vgz) used for? Are those special formats used by games? Are there sample files of those formats available?

Last edited by a moderator:
oldPlay uses timidity to play midi files.

and as for psf nsf and those they are consoles sound formats.....well more like a "emulated console sound system", as far as i know about them, they are a "part" and some data ripped from the actual binarie. so u need to emulate the sound core, and some parts of the console to play them (like a emulator but just for the sound part). Audacious and winamp have support for those formats too, throught their "game console audio module decoder" plugin.

as for the samples and tools....
http://www.zophar.net/music.html here, u have from lots of systems, including those i mentioned,

http://www.zophar.net/utilities/rippers.html and here tools for most of them

so that should cover almost everything.

howto s and info about the formats are everywhere so google should be enougth

EDIT: one more thing, oldPlay changes the cpu speed depending on which format you are playing. But sometimes the sound stops working after changing the speed. (i remenber this was because of buggy sdl from GamePark). Does this happen in gmu too, or it doesn't change the speed for each format?

laharl said:
oldPlay uses timidity to play midi files.

and as for psf nsf and those they are consoles sound formats.....well more like a "emulated console sound system", as far as i know about them, they are a "part" and some data ripped from the actual binarie. so u need to emulate the sound core, and some parts of the console to play them (like a emulator but just for the sound part). Audacious and winamp have support for those formats too, throught their "game console audio module decoder" plugin.

as for the samples and tools....
http://www.zophar.net/music.html here, u have from lots of systems, including those i mentioned,

http://www.zophar.net/utilities/rippers.html and here tools for most of them

so that should cover almost everything.

howto s and info about the formats are everywhere so google should be enougth
Thanks for the information.

EDIT: one more thing, oldPlay changes the cpu speed depending on which format you are playing. But sometimes the sound stops working after changing the speed. (i remenber this was because of buggy sdl from GamePark). Does this happen in gmu too, or it doesn't change the speed for each format?
Changing CPU speed on the GP2X is problematic. Especially while the audio device is opened, it is almost impossible to change the CPU clock and at the same time leave the audio device in a usable state.
It seems even when closing the audio device before changing the CPU speed, there is still quite a chance of crashing the whole device. That's why I've dropped the idea of changing the CPU speed for each format to achieve maximum battery life.
By the way, turning of the display backlight has a much bigger influence on battery life than reducing the cpu clock. So it is always a good idea to turn off the display as soon as possible. By default, Gmu turns it off 15 seconds after the last button press.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back