Gngeo Issues

Ulexes

Still Fresh
So I saw someone else had this issue in another thread. I tried a couple things, but no dice... This is the error i'm seeing

IMG_0131-1.jpg

Pardon the blur.

Any Ideas?

Thanks again for any Help.

I got this at first too (still do with some games, sadly). Do you have the Neo Geo bios file? And are you using the proper romset? Somewhere out there is a big zip file with all the roms that work in GnGeo... make sure you're using those.

I jave to confess to a fair bit of ignorance here.

would the Neo geo Bios file have been included with the GnGeo emulator? If not, Where is the best place to acquire it?

I Did download a romset which is specifically said to be for the GnGeo emulator for the Caanoo, from a link provided in the other thread. Still in the process of thumbing through them and deciding which ones i actually want to play. I might end up devoting a single SD card solely to NeoGeo, Unless the Caanoo cna handle a huge card. I know some of my digital recording stuff that uses SD can only handle up to 4 gig.

Ahhh yeah, that'll be why... the NeoGeo bios file usually has to be downloaded separately (legal issues I think). Just do a websearch for neogeo.zip and you should find it. I can't remember if it needs to be zipped or unzipped but it goes in your /roms folder with the game roms. Some people have 16GB SD cards on the Caanoo, I think they work fine.

That got it running. Now i guess all i need to do is get that rom set unzipped and in there. Gonan have to upgrade to a 16 gig card thsi weekend though. Jsut don't feel like swapping out cards.

Dave - Thanks again dude.

Got alot of games that give me black screen with some writing on them. I can hear sounds, and i know it recognizes when i git some of the buttons, but no images... Oddish. And i'm using the rompack reference somewhere else on the boards. Anyone have any ideas?

I can get KOF 94 running great, and the original metal Slug. Other than that i'm having issues. But i haven't tried every rom yet

Ulexes said:
Got alot of games that give me black screen with some writing on them. I can hear sounds, and i know it recognizes when i git some of the buttons, but no images... Oddish. And i'm using the rompack reference somewhere else on the boards. Anyone have any ideas?

I can get KOF 94 running great, and the original metal Slug. Other than that i'm having issues. But i haven't tried every rom yet

I have a link to a GnGeo rom package that I am working on... still trying to encrypt some of the roms properly on some of the bootleg roms to get them to work properly.. If you are interested in downloading this package, shoot me an e-mail at zsonance@gmail.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same issue as the guy starting this post. I didn't see any one post a solution to it though. I bought the caanoo for NEO and MAME. The Neo doesn't work at all and I can only get a few games to work on MAME. What am I doing wrong? I am new and will probably need very basic instructions to get both of the emulators working. Also, is there a Genesis emulator out there?

I downloaded the pack and pretty much the same issues. The Neo emu has the same exact problem and the MAME only shows a couple of games.

Sounds to me like you're having issues with your rom sets.

Try googling "caanoo lostsite" and check out the download section.... some useful stuff there...

NEgO MANIAC said:
I downloaded the pack and pretty much the same issues. The Neo emu has the same exact problem and the MAME only shows a couple of games.

This caanoo is really pissing me off. I downloaded the packs as suggest and stuck the files in the rom and romrc files and I still get the same messages the first post in this thread has. I also downloaded the Yoshi ROM pack.I need a step by step breakdown on what to install and where to install it. I am about ready to throw this POS against the wall. I bought this to play neo and mame. As far as I can tell, it does neither.

I just got my caanoo a few months ago, and rather than using Yoshi's pack, I used this:

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,5,694

The only reason I used this instead of Yoshi's was because it also included some apps.

So, I used that, and it includes instructions about what bios files need to go in which location, and also what the bios files are called (which is useful to google to find them.)

For roms, make sure you use the correct revision, you can find some working rom packs for wiz, and those typically work.

As I said in a post above, google "caanoo lostsite" and you will find some useful stuff. I can assure you the stuff there works as it is what I am using.

Hope that helps.

NEgO MANIAC said:
This caanoo is really pissing me off. I downloaded the packs as suggest and stuck the files in the rom and romrc files and I still get the same messages the first post in this thread has. I also downloaded the Yoshi ROM pack.I need a step by step breakdown on what to install and where to install it. I am about ready to throw this POS against the wall. I bought this to play neo and mame. As far as I can tell, it does neither.

Still the same error messages. Here is the breakdown of what I am doing:

1. I downloaded the Starter Pack and unzipped it on the SD card.
2. Under the GNGEO folder, I placed a zipped folder of the neo bios (from ROM World) in the ROM folder and then extracted it.
3. Then I placed a zipped ROM (ex. Metal Slug 2) from ROM World in the ROM folder and then extracted it.
4. I launched the emulator and all I get are the same error messages in the beginning of the thread.

What am I missing? Are there optimized NEO ROMs for the CAANOO?

The error message on the screenshot shows all missing files:

/game/gngeo/roms/sfix.sfx
/game/gngeo/roms/000-lo.lo
/game/gngeo/roms/uni-bios.rom
/game/gngeo/roms/aes-bios.rom
/game/gngeo/roms/vs-bios.rom
/game/gngeo/roms/usa_2slt.bin
/game/gngeo/roms/asia-s3.rom
/game/gngeo/roms/sp-s2.sp1

These are all BIOS files. Find a neogeo.zip with these files and unzip them to the roms folder.

Regarding the ROMS. There are different versions (dumps) of the ROMs available and not all games are working (not yet supported by the emulator). Therefore, download the earlier mentioned GnGeo ROM packs. The Caanoo pack is only an update for the Wiz pack. Copy first the Wiz and then the Caanoo pack to the roms and romrc.d folder. Check this post for the full story of the Caanoo pack.

There are many different neogeo.zip files around. Keep downloading until you have all missing BIOS files (inside the .zip).

-or-

Download the packs as mentioned here and copy them as described above. The packs include all necessary files. Don't bother to create your own ROM set, it's pretty much work.

Yoshi Dragon said:
There are many different neogeo.zip files around. Keep downloading until you have all missing BIOS files (inside the .zip).

-or-

Download the packs as mentioned here and copy them as described above. The packs include all necessary files. Don't bother to create your own ROM set, it's pretty much work.
I already downloaded packs 1 through 8 and installed them into the roms and romrc folders. I also tried bioses from 4 sites.

Back