GP2X Gnu Arm For Gp2x And New Firmware Development

And which of those modules is the SD driver? I believe it's built into the kernel (not a module), so you'd have to compare a kernel you built with GPH's using the same settings and compiler.
I have done it and what I compile out of SVN matches (except for a few strings that are dates) after slightly patching some files.
So again where is that closed source SD driver? :)

Wow. Nice work Laurent!

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you please document your works in a file and post here so every one can follow with minimum of trial and error.
I intend on doing that. Just need some free time IRL :D

Below is some notes on Open2x's GP2X kernel if that is of interest over the stock GPH one.

You will find the current development kernel in Open2x's SVN at /trunk/kernels/linux-open2x-2.4.26_FW2-3 (web view) should produce a working 2.1.*/3.* compatible kernel when built with ARM Linux GCC 3.4.* and the right tools.

If there is interest I can host up a working Linux based tool-chain for kernel dev running a patched version of GCC 3.4.4.

This kernel is somewhat different from the stock GPH kernel in so much as it is upgraded to 2.4.26 (from 25) to add better support for a few things people want to hack about with (MIDIShare springs to mind). It also has a number of patches applied already to the stock GPH release such as proper USB Gadget support and odd fixes here and there. Several people are working with this kernel to add support for things such as SDHC (well that is the bit I am currently working on), better ways to talk to the 940, general cleanup, new drivers etc..

Open2x also welcomes patches via its sf.net site if anybody wants to contribute and is always on the lookout for more devs. Yes, I know the web site is very out of date, I am working on that ;).

As always this is more your front edge as far as GP2X kernel development goes so there are no guarantees about stability etc. but it does represent ways the community seem to want to push the GP2X :).

Once (if ;)) I get SDHC support going I was considering releasing (subject to the rest of the team giving it a thumbs up) some pre-made kernels for people to test with if there is interest, as it stands now for the non developer there is not a lot of difference to the stock GPH releases.

I notice in this thread there is some discussion about what is missing from the GPH release and what hampers 2.6 support/migration.

Your main issues are the binary firmware that runs on the 940 and video hardware to accelerate video decoding. That firmware is not open source and only runs on 2.4 kernels so it represents your main stumbling block. GPH also miss out some I2C code but that is easily reinstated.

All the other drivers, SD and the like are present and work (well of a fashion, I am developing a hatred for the SD driver ;)).

One last thing (and some shameless project promotion) the Open2x developer mailing list is a great place to get help if you want to hack on the kernel or shape where it is going or you could find most of the devs in #GP2XDev on EfNet IRC.

All the other drivers, SD and the like are present and work (well of a fashion, I am developing a hatred for the SD driver ;)).
Thanks for confirming what I found, I was starting to think I was crazy as others kepts on telling it was a binary only driver :)

One last thing (and some shameless project promotion) the Open2x developer mailing list is a great place to get help if you want to hack on the kernel or shape where it is going or you could find most of the devs in #GP2XDev on EfNet IRC.
I will subscribe to the list.

Back