Gog - Good Old Games - Dead! :(

dadioflex said:
Dead1nside said:
I've got my eyes and ears open for this press conference, that video link they've just posted on their website has a screenshot of Baldur's Gate in it.

Honest, if this is PR shenanigans I won't be happy.

Getting the BG games on download would be cool, though I have all my BG/Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment disks safe - and Lionheart - heavy sigh - but fake closing and making people think they've lost access to their downloads... who would trust them again?

I'm not saying what's going to happen yet. But they did say in the original statement that it would be announced shortly how to access the downloads, so that was never really at risk, but it was surely a nuisance. The whole thing gave me a shock. However, if there's some good news around the corner, I'm sure it'll act as a salve.

I only have BG1 and expansion.

Last edited by a moderator:
gog.com said:
First of all we would like to apologize everyone who felt deceived or harmed in any way by us closing down GOG.com without any warning and without giving access to your games. We apologize for that from the bottom of our hearts!

Now it's time we put an end to all the speculations once and for all. It’s true that we decided that we couldn't keep GOG.com the way it was… so we won’t. As you probably know by now, GOG.com is entering its new era with an end of the two-years beta stage and we're launching a brand new GOG.com with new, huge releases.

The new GOG.com will launch at 8.00 a.m. EDT (2 p.m. CET). Later today we'll provide you here 4 videos where you'll find all needed information on current events, as well as news on the new GOG.com, the upcoming big releases and the summary of the last two years.

That arrogant non-apology annoys me immensely - I haven't developed the tolerance to arrogant non-apologies that regular users on here have.

Turns out the head guys at gog.com are a couple of pricks. Not gonna stop me using them so long as they remain DRM free, but damn, what a pair of idiots.

dadioflex said:
That arrogant non-apology annoys me immensely - I haven't developed the tolerance to arrogant non-apologies that regular users on here have.

Turns out the head guys at gog.com are a couple of pricks. Not gonna stop me using them so long as they remain DRM free, but damn, what a pair of idiots.

You've got to admit though as a 'crazy stunt' its garnered the attention and publicity they were after (and probably need to survive). I've never looked at them before - now I probably will...

I really don't get all the anger. I was more sorrowful and distraught when I thought GOG had been brought down (that tweet, perhaps was the only bit of deception, although it is probably truth as well).

I'm happy GOG is back.

To be fair, they never lied. They said they couldn't keep GOG going as it was, and that's entirely true. They can't help if people misunderstood that to mean they were shutting it down. :p

They didn't lie, but they very deliberately implied that they were shutting down. Especially with tweets like this:

Sometimes it's really hard being DRM-free... hard to keep things the way they are and keep management and publishers happy :(

They handled it poorly, it was more of a troll than a stunt. Imagine the reaction if OP Ltd did something like that! :eek: They might have had good intentions but they screwed it up IMO.

I can't help but feel some people are a little on the sensitive side. I can understand a little annoyance, but the anger is comical. You'd think GOG threw brake fluid over their car, put the window through and made off with the stereo.

I've not been able to get through to their site ..

So whats the deal?

- still have old games?
- got more old games?
- got new games too?
- is this just a game store now?

Anyone know all the bullet points or have screenshots?

jeff

BG1 for $9.99 seems awesome :)

But wtf... is the site basicly the same as it was before, so this was just a big troll? *lame*

skeezix said:
I've not been able to get through to their site .

just for you Jeff ;-)

We know our little game with closing down the site made some of you angry. Once again we'd like to apologize to everyone who felt deceived by us closing down GOG.com without any warning and without giving you access to your games. We apologize for that from the bottom of our hearts, it was done with the best of intentions and hopefully we can make it up to you!

That being said we'd like to introduce to you the brand new GOG.com. After two years we're finally leaving the beta stage and moving forward to provide you even better service with your favorite PC classics. Leaving beta means lots of changes to the site itself, as well. A sleek new design makes it even easier to browse through the huge catalog, share one's passion for classic games via popular social media, get to know more about the classic games available and recommend favorite titles to other gamers. Among other changes, the team has introduced GOGmixes, which are, in short, user-created lists of games around one theme. Learn more about all the new features on GOG.com overview page.

But that's not all. What anniversary would it be without some neat presents? We're celebrating the second anniversary with one of the biggest announcements ever for fans of classic PC games - we're reviving Baldur’s Gate and other classic Hasbro-Licensed PC games which will be unveiled gradually in the coming weeks!

To sum it all up, we've prepared a series of "GOG.com Revival" videos, which you can see below. We encourage you to watch them to get to know everything about the new GOG.com. Enjoy!

and..

Sorry everyone for the delay in the launch of the new website. Our servers, even though we've augmented their number, just didn't manage to support the huge interest from your side - we're having 20 times the biggest traffic we have ever had in our history! We're adding more servers as we speak and everything should start improving. Enjoy the new website, all the features and the newly released Baldur's Gate.Sorry everyone for the delay in the launch of the new website. Our servers, even though we've augmented their number, just didn't manage to support the huge interest from your side - we're having 20 times the biggest traffic we have ever had in our history! We're adding more servers as we speak and everything should start improving. Enjoy the new website, all the features and the newly released Baldur's Gate.Sorry everyone for the delay in the launch of the new website. Our servers, even though we've augmented their number, just didn't manage to support the huge interest from your side - we're having 20 times the biggest traffic we have ever had in our history! We're adding more servers as we speak and everything should start improving. Enjoy the new website, all the features and the newly released Baldur's Gate.

The site does look the very similar, so im not sure if this is the new layout or not.

Loonie said:
I can't help but feel some people are a little on the sensitive side. I can understand a little annoyance, but the anger is comical. You'd think GOG threw brake fluid over their car, put the window through and made off with the stereo.
I have to admit that I can actually kind of understand the anger. People have their money tied up in non-tangible products with them, and if they'd failed to back up their purchases and relied on the service always being there, I can see how a person might get angry upon realising that the stuff they'd paid for was seemingly suddenly gone with, at one point, no apparent hope of retrieving it.

The played a dick-move it seems; I mean, every other company in the world just applies a new skin to their site, upgrades the CGIs etc, in the middle of the night and poof, its right there; they don't need to pretend they're nearly out of business and cut off service for a few days to pull media into it.. they jus go and you know.. upgrade the site, no big deal :)

So would seem the GoG figured out a dirty trick to get some attention. Thats fine, but its still a dick move :)

Or should I upgrade Wordpress on my blog, and announce it to the world?

jeff

Back