Good/decent/bad: Gp2x Games

BenRoshi

The Reason
The GP2X's library of homebrew games and apps has grown a lot since it first came out. For anyone who's thinking of getting the system, this could be a problem, because how do they know what's worth playing? The ratings in the archive seem pretty inaccurate to me, so it's very possible for new users and vets alike to miss out on some great pieces of software.

The Solution!
This is how this topic works:
1. I'll post up a new piece of software periodically in the below current game section.
2. You will read what game is currently being rated, and post whether or not you think it's Good, Decent, or Bad.
3. Good - means it's a piece of software you love having on your GP2X. If you use it regularly, or find yourself having large amounts of enjoyment while playing it, you may be playing a Good game.
4. Decent - There are a few reasons a game could only get decent. Maybe it's an awesome idea, but is lacking some features, or has a ton of bugs or something. Or perhaps while it's fun to play, you really don't find yourself coming back to it very often. Or maybe it's not that great of a concept, but is executed amazingly (think a tic tac toe game with insane graphics, sound, and features).
5. Bad - These games just aren't worth playing. Maybe it's an early build of a piece of software, or perhaps the idea is pretty lousy, and it doesn't make up for that in any way.
6. After rating the game (be straightforward in your answer, but feel free to elaborate as much as you'd like), you can also choose to nominate the next game to be rated. I don't want to have to just go alphabetically through the archive :unsure:
7. After some arbitrary amount of time, I'll tally up the scores, and list them under past scores. I'll list them based on the formula 2x Good + 1x Decent + 0x Bad.

Don't Be Afraid To Do The Hate!
This isn't a topic to make developers feel good, in fact if your game is being rated, you might want to ignore what people say about it. This is a topic to help beginners know what to check out when they get their GP2X, so if we start rating a piece of software that is still in development, feel free to say it's bad, even if it has loads of potential. When new versions of software are released, they will be re-rated.

Current Software
Currently we are rating: Beat2X

Past Scores
Nothing's been rated yet...

Anyways...
Go!

Greatest games

BOR engine with any packs
tilematch
super methane brothers
dr. malvado (1st release from 3+ months ago, not the recent one)
vektar 1.0 freeware (not demo)

I don't think I like the whole idea of a thread encouraging something as simple as that. I mean, it's not even a six-sided die here, it's a d3! I'm sorry, but as it stands, it's just too shallow of a concept for me to be convinced it could be of any use. I mean, the file archive already works this way. If you're going to do it like this, you should rather name the game and then link to the file archive entry. Then people could vote there instead.
It would encourage more people to actually rate games in the file archive and to try out new games.

Also. An early build of a game that has a lot of bugs and a constricting gameplay can still show promise, so rating it as "not worth it" is not a very big thumbs up for the developer to keep doing it.

Magnulus posted on Jul 18 2006 at 08:47 PM said:
I mean, it's not even a six-sided die here, it's a d3!
But a d3 is just a d6 divided by 2 ;-).

Last edited by a moderator:
Which means that you only have half the options. A game can't be barely or very decent, it's just decent. It can't be very good or kind of good, just good. It can't be total crap or slightly bad, just bad. Do I get my point across?

But hey, Why not just a single choice: Game.

After all, a d1 is just a d6 divided by six.

How's about a simple 1-10 scale? Yes, I know it's abused, but we can say something like 1 means the game is nearly unplayable, a 5 means that it's playable but not exactly fun, and 10 is something that you can't even put down to go eat dinner.

Edit: As for my opinion on Beat2X, although I haven't downloaded all of the better paks for it, I have tried the original one and the Aliens vs. Predators one. My impression of it was that, although it's somewhat fun, it's also pretty limited in what you can do.

Haven't we had this discussion here?

The problem is that ratings are subjective. A lot of people like Beat2X, but obviously not all of them, proper reviews are the only real way of rating the games. At least then you know the reasoning behind the rating.

Even the new ratings system doesn't work, I think Tilematch is one of the best games for the GP2X (nearly as good as my ports :)) but if I was looking at the top rated programs, I'd be lead to believe it's not as good as an emulator that runs at 4 FPS!

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, if people are thinking no to the idea, then I'll stop doing this thread. Mods, could you lock this up?

Up to you. You could still give it a try and see what response you get.

Another problem with the ratings on the archive is that hardly anyone votes - so they are easy to sabotage with a single vote. If this method gets more people voting, it would still be better

i think this is a good idea if - its stickied and we settled with a halfway house with a range of scores 1-5.

this goes with the whole idea of the gp2x becoming more accessible for the masses, if we wann sell more then this is the direction in which to push. sure, us hardcore dont mind sifting thru searched forum posts or spending 20 minutes getting something to run that we only play for 20 seconds.

But others will.

Back