Good For Pandora?

1magus

Is this a good deal for this external HDD?
1TB HDD
I was wondering if something like this would work on the Pandora if it requires power via an adapter instead of usb?

Tech Specs Item Number: 301898KUA
Capacity: 1 TB
Interface: USB 2.0
Interface Transfer Rate: Up to 480Mbits/s (60MB/s)
Software: LaCie Backup Assistant; LaCie Setup Assistant
Size: 208 x 115 x 44 mm / 8.22 x 4.5 x 1.7 in.
Weight: 1.13 kg / 39.8 oz.
System Requirements: Windows® XP, Windows Vista™, Windows 7/ Mac OS X 10.4, 10.5, 10.6 or higher; Minimum free disk space: 600MB recommended
Box Content: LaCie Grand Hard Disk; USB 2.0 cable; External Power Supply; Quick Install Guide
Comments: *1TB (Terabyte) = 1000GB. 1GB 1,000,000,000 bytes. Total accessible capacity varies depending upon operating environment (typically 5–10% less).
Warranty: 2-Year Limited Warranty

I can only assume that this is a 3.5" drive, Because as you can see highlighted in the quote above from your link, It is supplied with and requires an external power supply. So, I would say definitely no, It will not work from the Pandora`s USB, Not without using the external power supply.

EDIT: Have you thought about a Western Digital My Passport Essential ?. It`s a Bus Powered 1TB 2.5" drive, I have the 500GB white version, But don`t have a Pandora to test it with.

Trooper

trooper said:
Tech Specs Item Number: 301898KUA
Capacity: 1 TB
Interface: USB 2.0
Interface Transfer Rate: Up to 480Mbits/s (60MB/s)
Software: LaCie Backup Assistant; LaCie Setup Assistant
Size: 208 x 115 x 44 mm / 8.22 x 4.5 x 1.7 in.
Weight: 1.13 kg / 39.8 oz.
System Requirements: Windows® XP, Windows Vista™, Windows 7/ Mac OS X 10.4, 10.5, 10.6 or higher; Minimum free disk space: 600MB recommended
Box Content: LaCie Grand Hard Disk; USB 2.0 cable; External Power Supply; Quick Install Guide
Comments: *1TB (Terabyte) = 1000GB. 1GB 1,000,000,000 bytes. Total accessible capacity varies depending upon operating environment (typically 5–10% less).
Warranty: 2-Year Limited Warranty

I can only assume that this is a 3.5" drive, Because as you can see highlighted in the quote above from your link, It is supplied with and requires an external power supply. So, I would say definitely no, It will not work from the Pandora`s USB, Not without using the external power supply.

Trooper
I meant will the Pandora read from this HDD if I had the external power?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey trooper's back! When did that happen? I clearly haven't been back here too often

Sugar_Kane said:
Hey trooper's back! When did that happen? I clearly haven't been back here too often

Yeah, I`m back. :D

A lot more positive than i was before, I`m on loony pill`s at the moment, Which is great,
As i can say, Fart in public and not think a thing about it, Or just laugh it off.

This is great. :lol:

Anyway, Thanks for noticing.

Trooper

Alerino said:
the passport one with 500gb works like a charm, no external supply needed
Do WD Passport drives still have the hidden VCD partitions? Even if you can see it it doesn't mean it's not there, I'd suggest getting the HP formatting utility mentioned in the article and zapping it. This is why I always buy OEM drives and separate enclosures even with 2.5 drives(that and 95% of the time it is cheaper).

Alerino said:
second exodous said:
Alerino said:
the passport one with 500gb works like a charm, no external supply needed
Do WD Passport drives still have the hidden VCD partitions? Even if you can see it it doesn't mean it's not there, I'd suggest getting the HP formatting utility mentioned in the article and zapping it. This is why I always buy OEM drives and separate enclosures even with 2.5 drives(that and 95% of the time it is cheaper).

in my ubuntu box, i cannot see it as a separated partition (although the article shows it as WD SmartWare), but all the bloatware is there (~600mb) :/
gparted finds a unnalocated partition sized at 1mb (might be something else)

I will maybe get rid of it, but no formatting for now, as i have plenty of data there. Thanks for the advice! :)
I got mine on an open box deal, the case was warped due to a molding error, but I cracked it open and used the bare drive in my notebook. I formatted it and reformatted it trying different distors and never even knew about that weird partition until I read that article. I guess whoever had it first turned off the partition with the WD software so it was just hidden(not deleted like the article says). That HP software was the only program that saw it and could get rid of it.

Yeah, 600MB on a 500GB drive isn't much, not worth moving everything off and formatting but something to keep in mind when you do go to wipe it.

On a side note Costco is selling the 1TB version of the My Passport drives(the USB powered 2.5" version) for some money off, I'll find the cheapest I can find it online and compare the price when I get there. If it's cheaper at Costco I'll pick one up and test it when I get my Pandora.

trooper said:
Yeah, I`m back. :D

A lot more positive than i was before, I`m on loony pill`s at the moment, Which is great,
As i can say, Fart in public and not think a thing about it, Or just laugh it off.

This is great. :lol:

Anyway, Thanks for noticing.

Trooper

Good news! Welcome back, squier, we've kept your seat by the fire and your pipe is on the mantlepiece.

Alerino said:
just to clear up, all the bloatware is in the same partition as the other files, so i can delete them at anytime. (i think! didn't try yet)
This is good news, maybe WD has stopped with the weird partitions.

I was moving my sister's HDs from her old computer to her new computer last night and she could only fit one of the two so I put the bigger one, a 320GB drive, into her computer. Windows only sees it as 140 something gigs when the sticker on the HD clearly says 320GB, as well as the sticker stating the system specks on the tower, so I'm wondering if it is a weird partition or someone counterfeited a Seagate drive or something. Windows only sees one partition but I'm going to her house with a Ubuntu CD to see what Linux sees in a live session. It was the main HD that housed the OS so maybe Dell(or gateway, can't remember off hand) put a weird restore partition that Windows can't get rid of. Oh, the fun, one reason I build my desktops rather than buy pre-built.

^ Assuming XP it might be just that it doesnt have LBA48 enabled (and you just installed it bare with no service packs): http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B303013

My sisters drive was odd, win7 didn't see two partitions just one at 140 and I didn't have my Linux flash drive with me so I just formated it with the utility I linked above. After formating it must have gotten rid of the problem because now it is seen as the full 320. I know it must have been something weird gateway did but formatting it fixed everything. Probably something to do with restore but the sad thing is it came with vista home and I downgraded to XP professional for her so the whole life of the PC it was a wasted 180GB.

Also I decided against the 1TB My Passport drive because I didn't need the storage right now and finding out that I might not get my Pandora until February I'll just get one after I get my Pandora and save some money.

Back