Google Boosts Open Video By Funding Arm Theora Codec - Good News For U

RMJ250

Google Boosts Open Video by Funding ARM Theora Codec - good news for us?

Article here:

http://www.linux.com/news/software/multimedia/299730-google-boosts-open-video-by-funding-arm-theora-codec

Full article here:
http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2010/04/google-boosts-open-video-by-funding-arm-theora-codec.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss

This means nothing to me, but thought I'd let you guys know as you always talking about ARM on here...

Apple may buy ARM

that's the headline, what it means is beyond me but just FYI if anyone cares
I read it on front page of modmyi

Ps- sorry if comment a bit OT, didn't want a new thread just for that and this one was sort of ARM related, so..

Yeah because when you dont sell anything to other companies you make a lot more money. No I dont think they're going to deprive the market of Arm chips, they know they're better than most other mobile chips so it makes more sense to sell them, not hold them back. if anything they'll have first grab of the best chips or a leg up on the newest ones out of R&D but anything else would be stupid.

I agree with Alpha2, but I'd still prefer that Apple was not the majority shareholder of ARM Holdings...it would certainly slow the development of cutting edge SoC's like following generations of the nvidia Tegra and TI's OMAP

^ So much power doesn't belong in one hand. Apple would be the Intel of the embedded market. They could use the top technology for themselves and license the second hand stuff to competitors. It would give them an advantage the competitors couldn't catch up.

mali said:
^ So much power doesn't belong in one hand. Apple would be the Intel of the embedded market. They could use the top technology for themselves and license the second hand stuff to competitors. It would give them an advantage the competitors couldn't catch up.

So, if you want an analogy, think what Intel had/has been trying to do to AMD for the past 3 decades...

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Exactly. They could let the competitors "stay alive" to not get in conflict with the cartel authority.

If Apple was to buy ARM. They could control which devices or company that could get ARM chips. If they feel your are a threat to their business. They could if that wanted, deny you the rights to use the chip.

Companies like Sony, HTC, Motorola, Nokia, Nintendo, and Microsoft could be in the firring line.

Back on topic, We will have to see where this goes. Too early to tell.

I'm not normally one to moan about topics going off, in fact I normally moan about the moaners, but in this case it seems strange that all this Apple/ARM chat is happening in the google video thread, rather than in the Apple ARM thread

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it was a huge investment from Google for this to be so little as them warming up to the idea. So I'm guessing it's Google attempting to steer HTML5 toward what they see as a cheaper (for Google) standard to implement.

Back