Gp2x 3d Demo Contest

Trenki

Website
www.trenki.net
Hi!

I did a demo for GBAX 2007 using my software renderer (search for F341 on pouet.net) and since then I heavily improved the renderer (The demo now runs 1.5-2.5 times faster). I believe it now is a very mature renderer with great performance (definitly faster than Vincent and reportedly 10x faster than TinyGL). It is also very flexible (you can program vertex and fragment shaders) and could be ported to the 940 (for instance with my cmd940 framework).

Because I would like to spread the word about my renderer in the gp2x community and make it more popular and used I had the idea that a 3d demo/game contest in which participants would use my renderer could be a good idea.

Therefore I would like to know if there is any interest in such a contest. I'm not sure about how to finance this since there ought to be some prices at least for the first three ranks.

So, what do you guys think? Maybe collecting donations could be a possibility?

I cant get the demo to run on my gp2x...
I'm interested in it, although I'm more focused on 3d modeling than on programming. If any Interested coder needs a 3d modeler pm me!

psst psst I would not mind giving a hand to a wipeout clone psst pstt!

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember that. It was amazing, even before you improved it.

If I could program anything, I'd enter a contest like this. Even though I'm not a coder (yet), I'd like to see this. :)

It is a good idea, Although I'm unsure about just exclusifying it to demos...

Edit: It may be a good idea to do a series of simple tutorials demostrating how to do some things with your renderer. I remember Dzz did something similar on the leadup to his demo compo.

Well, I'd certainly be interested in seeing the results of such a compo, but I'd not consider making anything for it, both because my coding skills suck, and because I don't feel a driving urge to create at the moment, which is really necessary for a good demo, I'd think...

Trenki said:
Hi!

I did a demo for GBAX 2007 using my software renderer (search for F341 on pouet.net) and since then I heavily improved the renderer (The demo now runs 1.5-2.5 times faster). I believe it now is a very mature renderer with great performance (definitly faster than Vincent and reportedly 10x faster than TinyGL). It is also very flexible (you can program vertex and fragment shaders) and could be ported to the 940 (for instance with my cmd940 framework).

Because I would like to spread the word about my renderer in the gp2x community and make it more popular and used I had the idea that a 3d demo/game contest in which participants would use my renderer could be a good idea.

Therefore I would like to know if there is any interest in such a contest. I'm not sure about how to finance this since there ought to be some prices at least for the first three ranks.

So, what do you guys think? Maybe collecting donations could be a possibility?
Hi, how does your renderer compare to gpu940? Is it also an opengl implementation? Is it faster? is very difficult to port it to the 940? I'm coding a 2D game using the opengl of gpu940..

I do not have a GP2X but have had one two of them and I have a bit of experience on gpu940, but none with your renderer :(

With gpu940 I'm compiling for x86 linux and when finished I'll call for betatesters.. does your renderer have linux version?

Hi trenki, i'm a directx coder and i found your renderer AWESOME :) i've started a software renderer myself but then i found yours and i think i'll use it for a 3d game :)
I'm actually working on two games on pc (one for job, i'm a programmer on a small videogame software house, and one for myself) but your renderer just make me go crazy :) i loved that custom rendering pipeline you did.
Awesome job dude, i hope to find the time to code something, i've already done some lowpoly models and i'm thinking to add support for a custom file format i'm using on my directx engine to have simple skeletal animations

efegea said:
Hi, how does your renderer compare to gpu940? Is it also an opengl implementation? Is it faster? is very difficult to port it to the 940? I'm coding a 2D game using the opengl of gpu940..

I do not have a GP2X but have had one two of them and I have a bit of experience on gpu940, but none with your renderer :(

With gpu940 I'm compiling for x86 linux and when finished I'll call for betatesters.. does your renderer have linux version?
I never tested gpu940, so I really can't compare my renderer to that very much, but I am working on it for 9 months now and I believe it is very near optimal (asm could improve things, but I want to stay with pure C++ for now). But I can say that my renderer is way faster than Vincent (OpenSource OpenGL ES compliant implemenation) and a user reported my renderer to be 10x faster than TinyGL. He also said integrating TinyGL (which has an OpenGL Layer) took him over a month and he still wasn't able to make it work (bugs in TinyGL etc.) while he was able to integrate my renderer in a very short timeframe. He was very satisfied.

I have always thought about the possibility to port my renderer to the 940 so I also tried to compile for that and the last time I tried it seemed to work without problems. So I would say it is not hard to port my renderer to the 940, but maybe a lot of work. My cmd940 framework may make things easier though. One has to note that to port this successfully there has to be create a small layer ontop of my renderer for vertex buffer object and texture management etc. May be a bit complicated.

It is possible to implement an OpenGL layer ontop of my existing rasterizer. I have been playing with that idea lately, but I want to improve some performance aspects firsts.

Since my software renderer is written in pure C++ the code is platform independend and compiles with GCC and also with Visual Studio. Normally you should not have any problem in getting the code to work. There are also some example programs on my homepage you should check out, so you can see how to use it.
One unique feature of my software renderer is that you can vertex and pixel shaders.

I can render a 5800 triangle model at 20fps (240MHz) and I have a private test application which renders a Need for Speed 3 level at 18 fps with a moderatly high viewing distance. I can get 20-30fps with tweaking some settings and using a few other tricks that my renderer implements.

It's sad it doesn't actually have an opengl layer. Too much work to adapt my software to it, and I want to make it portable, so opengl is the way to go..

I'd also like to port irrlicht to it...but don't know how hard it would be..

Anyway: good work! I like it. If there is a competition be sure that I'll enter it :D

UPDATE: I'm impressed, the cow example on your website compiled fine on my 64bit gentoo linux using only this command:

CODE
g++ main.cpp objdata.cpp renderer/geometry_processor.cpp fixedpoint/fixed_func.cpp -o cow -I/usr/include/SDL/ -lSDL

Did run at 53fps...

ANOTHER UPDATE: using -O3 doubled the fps, now runs at 103fps

If you compile without optimization GCC will produce the worst code. I compile with -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops (using GCC 4.2.1 on Windows 32bit) and I get 245-265fps on my 2.2GHz AMD Turion 64 X2 (only using one core). Strange enough a Release build with Visual Studio 2008 gives only 70fps.

There is no OpenGL layer yet, but I played with the idea of implementig it. It will not have the full power of the underlying renderer though.

Back