Gp2x As A Pda ?

El_Poco

Still Fresh
Hi everyone,

Being actually in Hong-Kong, where a lot of electronics can be found cheaper than in other places, I started contemplating buying a PDA/Console.

What I'd like is something I can use as a PDA (text editor, agenda, calendar, phonebook...) and as a handheld console (arcade emulation is fine with me) other features such as audio/video playing are fine but not required. Wifi connection I'd like, but I can do without it. And I'd like to avoid paying too much for it.
I'm currently hesitating between a DS (Cheap, wifi, touch screen, some homebrew applications in development), a GP2X (Cheap, emulation, linux, open...) and a regular PDA (All I need, but more expensive)

I've seen that there are some PDA application for the GP2X. But can you use them without a keyboard ? If not, is there a way to use them "on the move" (in a train, in the street... and without having to look like some kind of freak :p ) ?

In my situation what would you opt for ? (I know your judgement may be biased, but I'd like to hear it ;) )

Thanks.

Unfortunately I don't think it's a good idea to buy a GP2X for a PDA use :ph34r:
The lack of keyboard, touchscreen, wifi or even applications makes it pretty useless next to a real PDA :) Of course a PDA does not have the gaming features a GP2X have... I would opt for the DS :)

My two cents:

GP2X = bad PDA mainly because it has no built-in clock.

I think the best pda is a super-phone. Like a blackberry or a smartphone of some kind. Then GP2X for play only.

Are there good PDA applications out there for the DS - the form factor's pretty cool for that?

reiboul posted on Feb 26 2007 at 07:08 PM said:
Unfortunately I don't think it's a good idea to buy a GP2X for a PDA use :ph34r:
The lack of keyboard, touchscreen, wifi or even applications makes it pretty useless next to a real PDA :) Of course a PDA does not have the gaming features a GP2X have... I would opt for the DS :)
No indeed, but I would say get a real PDA, as the pda functions of the ds probably aren't nearly as good as those of a real pda.

Last edited by a moderator:
aapje89 posted on Feb 26 2007 at 08:12 PM said:
No indeed, but I would say get a real PDA, as the pda functions of the ds probably aren't nearly as good as those of a real pda.

What about the gaming functions of a PDA? :lol:

While the GP2X has some PDA software ports, I wouldn't deem them very proficient compared to running them on a dedicated PDA.

The GP2X is an excellent device and I recommend you look into it for its actual strengths: the community that backs it, its massive amount of free software ranging from original games to powerful emulators, and last but not least its good multimedia capabilities. It's also very easy and fun to develop for, if you're into making your own software.

- Alex

Zodiac or gizmondo?

Mobile phone PDA on contract for free excluding line rental.

e.g. XDA Orbit with copilot sat nav on o2 for £40 in UK

reiboul posted on Feb 26 2007 at 03:03 PM said:
aapje89 posted on Feb 26 2007 at 08:12 PM said:

What about the gaming functions of a PDA? :lol:
PDAs can run plenty of emulators and intepreters. Examples include Picodrive, Doom, Quake 1-3, MAME, Speccy, C64. The controls will not be of the same quality for gaming as the GP2X, but the OP seems to be more interested in the PDA functions anyway.

I've been toying with writing an organiser type app for some time. I think it could be done for the GP2X (except no clock functions - e.g. alarms).

A proper PDA would be better though

Yono posted on Feb 26 2007 at 10:40 PM said:
PDAs can run plenty of emulators and intepreters. Examples include Picodrive, Doom, Quake 1-3, MAME, Speccy, C64. The controls will not be of the same quality for gaming as the GP2X, but the OP seems to be more interested in the PDA functions anyway.

If it is a PDA he wants, so be it :) But I don't think I could PLAY on a PDA (except Scumm and boards games lol)

I don't know about the PDA functions of a DS, but it has Wifi (and Opera browser), Wireless chat, games (solo and multiplayer). It can be a good alternative thanks to its touch screen ;)

If you are on a low budget, I advice with the following:
For you PIM needs, do not buy a PDA, since you can live without Wi Fi, you can get yourself one of those Casio or Sharp "Electronic Organisers", most of them have address book, text reader, calendars and scheduling capabilities, ability to store notes, and in addition some of them have built in dictionaries or a simple encyclopedia. Most of these devices can be bought easily for less than $100, they have good battery life, look very nice and have full qwerty keyboard.
Now if you are into the market for gaming and multimedia, the GP2X is great, but you need to make sure it suits your needs.
In one sentence, but two gadgets instead of one, both their prices is less than a descent PDA.

Get a Zodiac. Can't buy them new but readily available on eBay. Excellent PDA plus as a bonus there are some really great emulators evailable. No regrets. And it's cheaper than other PDAs and even the GP2X.

I think slaanesh is right. For you I would look for a PDA that has good controls and emulators like the Zodiac. There may be another model that is good like this also.

On the other hand, I think the DS has a homebrew PDA like app if you get a flash card for it. Don't know how good it is though.

Thanks for your answers... That confirms what I was thinking. I was just wondering why they were PDA applications for the GP2X and thought there was something I overlooked.

The Zodiac sure looks nice. I think it might suit my need better. I'll try to see if I can get one (or something like it) around here.

imhotep posted on Feb 27 2007 at 12:34 AM said:
I think slaanesh is right. For you I would look for a PDA that has good controls and emulators like the Zodiac. There may be another model that is good like this also.

On the other hand, I think the DS has a homebrew PDA like app if you get a flash card for it. Don't know how good it is though.

Well "good controls" is not quite true for Zodiac emulators though. Playing digital type games with an analog is not ideal, it is kind of sloppy. Other than that it is ok.

You may want to look at the Sharp Zaurus too. It has a keyboard which is nice for text entry, and runs linux.

Of course, due to the GP2X does not have a keyboard (yet) it would make a lousy PDA, so let's not even consider that option.

If you want a mainstream portable game system with PDA functionality then I highly recommend purchasing a Nintendo DS or DS Lite (it does not matter which they basically have the exact same features) and a flash cart or cartridge (or whatever the proper term is) that uses SD or SD Micro cards. There are many commercial games available for the Nintendo DS, and while there are not really any fantastic homebrew games for the Nintendo DS the system has a touch screen similar to that found on PDAs as well as wifi capabilities and some decent PDA and audio/video software.

First purchase a Nintendo DS system. I managed to get mine in a retail store for $150, as well as $20 for the extended warranty. Definitely get the warranty, no matter what I did to my poor Nintendo DS system I have always been able to get it replaced for free (or $15, depending on store policies) with the extended warranty.
After purchasing a Nintendo DS, go to www.divineo.cn and purchase an M3 DS Simply cartridge and a 1GB Sandisk Micro SD card to go with it. That should set you back about $65. The total amount spent on the system and hardware should amount to around $235 or less.

After you get the hardware, it will be time to get the software to go with it. These two web sites should have plenty of free programs:
http://nintendo-ds.dcemu.co.uk/
http://ds.qj.net/

Oh, and if you have trouble downloading stuff from one of these web sites try using Mozilla Firefox instead of Internet Explorer or Maxthon for browsing and downloading.

Of course, this is just a suggestion. Of course, if you want free games and emulators, then there may be options that better suit your desires.

really if you want to get a decent pda, i wouldn't bother with a DS. If I were you, I would look into getting a zodiac or a zaurus. If you want to opt for fairly decent controls, the zodiac is you friend but then again, I haven't seen any emulators that could amaze me to that extent of actually buying one myself. Zaurus has a huge software library for free though and plenty of games/emus to use.

Back