Gp2x As Edutainment Device

aliking

So I was thinking of something noble that my GP2X could do once I have another device that I expect to fulfill it's uses and I thought; maybe it could be re-purposed as a "My first freakin sweet linux based expandable handheld game console and pmp"™ for my son.

So I wondered if:
  • anyone knew of any fun and or educational kids games that i might load it up with (for very young kids)
  • anyone has any good advice or experience in creating a simple loader that wouldn't expose all the advanced features and risk him bricking it by random clicking. I'm assuming it would be possible to make a gpe that would autoload and cover up the normal menus.
  • there is anything like this already in existance. Has anyone ported education games from any of the other flavours of linux? I understand Edubuntu is crammed with them.
I should note: F100, so buttons only. Anyway, any thoughts gladly received.

a

You can use the alternative menu Gmenu2x to limit the available applications. Just remove the whole "system" section and there you are. You can even configure whatever application you want to load at boot: just copy it in the root of the SD and rename to autorun.gpu (remember to set autoboot in the configuration menu with this SD out :))

I don't know about educational games for little kids, sorry. And I really advice against giving an electronic device to a little kid. Let them play with real things and friends during some years, please.

There two games from Apogee, one of them is titled "Math Recue". DosBox should run it.

quasist said:
There two games from Apogee, one of them is titled "Math Recue". DosBox should run it.
I'd forgotten all about Math Rescue, the other one was Word Rescue. They were pretty fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
I work in schools and there isn't much educational software for Linux, most of it is Apple Mac / Windows (usually both on the same disk).

However, these are things that I've used in schools:

TuxPaint
TuxMathScrabble
GCompris
Tux Type
Multiplication Station
Child's Play

Unfortunately, the OS world has no idea what teachers in schools actually need, so most of the software you find is contrived "educational" stuff that consists of doing maths puzzles in the form of a poor game. No structure, no depth, no recording of statistics, no progression. Hence, it doesn't get into schools, hence kids don't get exposed to it at all, even if the school is running Linux servers/clients.

The only one out of the above list that is actually useful and suitable for primary school children is TuxPaint, which admittedly they love, but even that can be a pain because it doesn't allow some technical things that it should (installing in a read-only share properly, easy use of global options (e.g. removal of save/print), and a decent save system that the staff/kids can understand).

Basically, making educational software is a lot harder than it looks. Anyone can knock up a ten minute "educational" game. It can take YEARS, or even DECADES, for a bit of software to actually get to the point where schools want it, whether it's Linux, Mac or Windows. Some schools still keep things like Acorn's around because they know that some software of that era was good and don't want to lose it.

Hi, great post and I would be interested to hear how your search for more educational titles goes.

My own son just turned five who has apsergers syndrome is already very adept at GP2x use via gmenu and happily uses it for MAME, various emus and as a video player for himself and his twin sister and younger brother and sister on car journeys. I simply load it up with kids tv shows like Dora episodes and suchlike. Sure he deletes the odd rom here n there but on the whole does well and loves the thing. He's a bit of a demon games player on all kinds of consoles as I have a fair retro collection, aswell as his NDS, and he can finish games his 10 year old cousins struggle with. I know its abit naughty to have a child so young on such things but in his case,it is his love and a promising future career as a pro games player at the least awaits him, if it holds up.

The NDS has a few drawing based titles that have really helped his writing skills too, as he wouldn't draw for years with pens, crayons etc but really took to using a stylus. Some proper titles would be a boon though, so I hope some showup as possibilities.

I'm gonna have a hard time keeping him off my Pandora soon though...its my own I tell you..my precious!

Late post but thought I may be able to help. I have the same issue as I was trying to use my GP2X beyond simple gaming. I looked into SCUMMVM and its compatibility chart. Seems that the HE games may suit this purpose. I have the old PuttPutt and Pajama Sam on CDs and tried Putt Putt at the Circus and Pajama Sam 3 and they work fine on GP2x. They shouldn't be too hard to find via an oldgames site.

Back