Gp2x- Basic Questions

jatan

Still Fresh
Hi

new here, - and sorry if these questions are answered elswhere...can't seem to find the forum search

i am thinking of odering a gp2x for mainly my journey to work and back

1.I want to watch divx movies & mpeg tv shows on it (mainly)- i do not want to have to reencode them...am i correct in thinking the gp2x will do this out the box (as it were)

2. will the gp2x last for 3 hours playing a movie etc on batteries (i have looked in a battery thread and found out that aa batteries are a lot more complicated than i ever knew:)

3.Can it take sd cards of any capacity (i have a 2gb one).

thanks in advance for any straight answers
j

1) DivX movies will work, and will be automatically scaled to fit the device's screen. Currently MPG movies do not work but support for them will be added to future firmware versions.

2) Yes. Get good 2500mAH rechargables. I have Energizer ones and they work wonderfully. Others also recommend Ansmann _Photo_ rechargables. I was able to watch over 2.5hrs of movie and 1hr of game playing with just batteries.

3) SD compatibility is being improved, but all 3 of my 1GBers show up fine. Anything over 1GB is not currently read at the moment, until future firmware/SD drivers allow for it. In other words, your 2GB card should work, but the device will only 'see' the first 1GB.

3) SD compatibility is being improved, but all 3 of my 1GBers show up fine. Anything over 1GB is not currently read at the moment, until future firmware/SD drivers allow for it. In other words, your 2GB card should work, but the device will only 'see' the first 1GB.

Really? I was under the general impression that anything over a gig simply would not be recognised at all...

For all you needs you should probally just wait for a nice stable version with all of the things you want included
1. Right now it works with only divx (xvid a little) and does not play mpg and some divx, wait for an update
2. The battery life is fine if you have good batteries but battery life can improve, wait for an update
3. It only supports cards up to 1gb (pretty sure it won't even read 2gb at all), wait for an update.

So I recomned you just sit on the side lines for now untill it becomes nice and stable and suits all your needs.

Maybe I was just guessing about 3). I don't have anything over 2GB myself to test... haven't seen a conclusive post about it yet though.

Back