Gp2x Break Out Box (finished Product)

TelcoLou posted on May 22 2006 at 06:00 PM said:

Don't be :(, it will be here before we know it.

What is your avatar saying now? I think it looks like he is calling someone an asshole, but I can't be sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
nubie posted on May 22 2006 at 09:02 PM said:

What is your avatar saying now? I think it looks like he is calling someone an asshole, but I can't be sure.

He's calling himself one :p My wife made it for me ... ain't she sweet?

Anyway, I'm just anxious for this BoB ... I'll wait, besides, I'm sure it will be some time before we see emu support for USB gamepads,etc ...

TelcoLou posted on May 22 2006 at 09:34 PM said:
nubie posted on May 22 2006 at 09:02 PM said:

He's calling himself one :p My wife made it for me ... ain't she sweet?

Anyway, I'm just anxious for this BoB ... I'll wait, besides, I'm sure it will be some time before we see emu support for USB gamepads,etc ...
Beat2x + My Red Octane pad...
*Drools*
:D

Bit harsh! :eek: I did read about someone getting it to work with a usb box and stuff but it needed to be plugged into mains I thought. Nevermind anyway but there wasn't any need to be that rude.. it isn't #debian.

nubie posted on May 22 2006 at 08:46 PM said:
kzar posted on May 21 2006 at 05:09 PM said:
I kinda want to buy a gp2x (did order one before but then changed my mind) but lack of wifi is the main thing putting me off. If there was a gizmo that clicked into the back that enabled wifi and a usb / keyboard socket, then i would definately buy. You could mess about on wireless networks without having to have a laptop :D

There is a gizmo that clips onto the bottom that "enables" wifi and usb, what do you want?

It spoon-fed to you?

There is full support for USB Wifi if you can compile Linux drivers, there was a thread on that recently, and the USB keyboard is supported already.

As for hooking up the USB, it is ~3 or 4 wires and a simple filtering/power circuit, make one yourself:

USB Filtering
USB power

Or I guess wait for mommy to bring the spoon, in my case the level of information available to assist you making your own hardware on the GP2X is astronomical.

All you need is simple soldering skills and a couple USB ports and an IC, resistors and capacitors.

I do understand if that puts you off, I personally consider it a plus because I love soldering and modding :).

kzar posted on May 22 2006 at 08:28 PM said:
Bit harsh! :eek: I did read about someone getting it to work with a usb box and stuff but it needed to be plugged into mains I thought. Nevermind anyway but there wasn't any need to be that rude.. it isn't #debian.

I am sorry, I was a little on edge waiting to take a performance final that involved actually smogging a car(1hr), and evaluating the performance of emissions equipment on 2 others(1/2hr apiece), and pin-pointing why another car wasn't starting(1hr), and something else.

I am also a mite upset at being in the red financially so that I cannot have a GP2X personally at the moment (I know, why am I hanging around in here then?)

I should have tactfully pointed out that there is no reason to hold up on getting a GP2X if that is all that is stopping you right now, it will be done soon enough, I will likely be making my own if I can get another.

I think the learning curve on switching to Linux is much steeper than making a circuit for the USB.

I would look into powering the Wifi stick with it's own battery pack somehow, then just connect it to the USB with 3 wires and the simple filtering circuit here:http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Image:Bob_usb_filter.png

I just got a call back from an interview I had at Target (I was taking that dreaded final, so I am calling them back tomorrow), here's hoping I can build a sweet, sweet mod for my shiny GP2X in a couple of paychecks :).

First on the list, buy self-powered HD, then steal its juice for a USB controller and a wifi stick :D

We have demonstrated BoB during the latest computer show in Turkey. People are quite impressed to see a GP2X running a Qtopia, a mouse and HDD connected. You may take a look at the picture in our website splash.

http://www.gp2xtr.com

As GPH is working on the project that we already completed, we are working on a solution that is more advanced and portable for GP2X.

Loubear posted on May 23 2006 at 02:28 AM said:
I wanted it before my hershey trip! You make the loubear sad... Not like it matters though *ponders*.

I am about to go to china for 7 weeks on the 12th of june so in a similar situation. However i have found a nice electronic shop down in town so i might just make a mini one for the trip if i have spare time.
:p

AUGUST!?!?!?!?!?!?! thats at least another 3 months without my GP2x! (urge to mass murder)

techFreak posted on May 23 2006 at 12:26 AM said:
As GPH is working on the project that we already completed, we are working on a solution that is more advanced and portable for GP2X.
Sweet, let us know of pertinent details ASAP.

If I might suggest an option, find a flat-ribbon cable right angle EXT connector so we can integrate a flat USB hub onto the back of the battery cover. If you see what I mean: Slim USB picture

If you could just get a flat ribbon cable for the EXT something like that could just be screwed onto the back of the battery cover. (I would use four ports for a keyboard, mouse, and 2 gamepads, and/or a self-powered external drive, assuming these come in under the 100ma draw, or I will use extra batteries to power up the hub.)

Alternatively since there is limited power available just connect 1 usb and one of these a/v 3.5mm phono jacks, that would be sweet to screw onto the back of the battery cover with those jacks pointing up, or give us a choice as to the direction we want to point the jacks.

Google a/v 3.5mm if that link to the phono jack doesn't work for you.

Do you see what I am talking about? I want the mini/micro BoB to be small and cool enough to just leave attached all the time, the only real trouble is making a small right-angle plug to connect to the EXT, preferably using a ribbon cable and integrating the connectors into the battery cover or above the battery bulge.

Edit: I just thought of a comprimise, 4 USB, one GP2X powered and the rest external powered, a switch to change between them, and that 3.5mm Audio/Video thing I mentioned.

techFreak posted on May 23 2006 at 08:26 AM said:
We have demonstrated BoB during the latest computer show in Turkey. People are quite impressed to see a GP2X running a Qtopia, a mouse and HDD connected. You may take a look at the picture in our website splash.

http://www.gp2xtr.com

where? i dont see any breakout box or mouse anywhere on that site, van you give a direct link?

Back