Gp2x Development Starters

!CE-9

Still Fresh
Hi everyone,

After the possible minimum amount of OSX / Win32 development with SDL (and OpenGL and my framework wrapping most of their functionality in a friendlier more modular and safer way), I'd like to extend onto GP2X.

I've been reading up on wiki.gp2x.org but would have a couple of questions. Please help!
- I was going to start off on Windows with GamePark's modified Dev-C++ but it had been consistently crashing as soon as I clicked any of the icons in the New Project dialog.
- I've then seen that there's a devkitGP2X for the Mac, so I wanted to have a go at this one, but I've realized that this isn't something that is at least directly useable with xcode. It probably isn't. How do I use it? I haven't found a documentation for it - does it exist at all?
- I then looked a bit more in-depth at the Win32 options and found that there's devkitGP2X for it too. What does it include?

- Is there a newer release of the GamePark Dev-C++ mutant that's worth having a look at?
- Suppose I've got it working. There's straightforward ARM SDL support (at least for the GP Devkit and devkitGP2X, as http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Setting_up_a_dev..._SDK_devkitGP2X
states. Now how do I get OpenGL functionality? Also, is it a subject to restrictions listed at http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/OpenGL?

This is probably a lot already, so I'll stop here. Each and every bit of help is most welcome.

You'd be crazy to use GPH's toolchain.. it's unaccelerated and if I remember correctly, it still uses an ancient version of GCC (or at least it did at one point).

I'd either use the precompiled Code:Blocks for Windows that's already been mentioned, or use VirtualBox under Windows or an Intel Mac to get a virtual Linux box running, and use the Open2X toolchain under that (Open2X toolchain is the best in my opinion, since you'll be running under a real Unix environment)

Senor Quack said:
You'd be crazy to use GPH's toolchain
I'm been crazy for over two years...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back