Gp2x-dragon: A Dragon / Tandy Coco Emulator For Gp2x V1.0.1

zx-81

Certified Guru
Website
zx81.zx81.free.fr
gp2xdragon-snap-v101.jpg

Xroar is the best emulator of Dragon32/64 and Tandy Coco home computer running on many systems such as Linux, Unix, Mac OS X, GP32 and Windows32.
See http://www.6809.org.uk/dragon/xroar.shtml for further informations.

GP2X-Dragon is a port on GP2X of the PSP version of Xroar.

Special thanks to Danzel and Jeff Chen for their virtual keyboard, Ciaran Anscomb for this great emulator, Raven's for eboot icons and to all GP2X SDK developpers.

How to use it ? Everything is in the README.txt file.

Sources are included, and this package is under the GNU public licence,
read COPYING.txt file for more information about it.
[cut]
Here is a full working binary and source :
http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/

Enjoy,

Zx.

PS: This is a first release, and works still remain ...[/cut]

Do you know how long I have been waiting for a Dragon emulator?

This is fantastic news, thank you soooo much zx-81 :D :D :D

*scurries off to try chuckie egg*

Thanks much for these updates ZX you are a coding machine :)

I was just wondering, hate to ask but did you have any plans to update your ColecoVision emu? It works great but it is very slow. There is a CV emu in XMESS and it is fullspeed but has a cumbersome GUI.

DaveC said:
I was just wondering, hate to ask but did you have any plans to update your ColecoVision emu? It works great but it is very slow. There is a CV emu in XMESS and it is fullspeed but has a cumbersome GUI.
With which game is it slow ? because on all the game i've tried it runs at 95 fps (when you set the speed limiter to no) which seems to be fast enough ?

Last edited by a moderator:
zx-81 said:
DaveC said:
With which game is it slow ? because on all the game i've tried it runs at 95 fps (when you set the speed limiter to no) which seems to be fast enough ?

All games are slow. The framerate is OK it is just the games themselves run at a reduced speed. you can tell right away as the "COLECOVISION" banner at the beginning takes alot longer to go away as the real thing or a different emu. Try a game on XMESS on the GP2X or a PC-based emu and you will see how much slower games run on the CV emu. I seem to remember the music was off too due to the speed. I haven't used it in awhile though as I switched back to Xmess because of the speed.

DaveC said:
I was just wondering, hate to ask but did you have any plans to update your ColecoVision emu?
It's not due to being set to emulate PAL timing (50FPS)?

BTW - thanks for xroar! I haven't actually tried it yet as my GP2X is at home but I'm looking forward to some Time Bandit on my GP2X. :)

DaveC said:
All games are slow. The framerate is OK it is just the games themselves run at a reduced speed. you can tell right away as the "COLECOVISION" banner at the beginning takes alot longer to go away as the real thing or a different emu. Try a game on XMESS on the GP2X or a PC-based emu and you will see how much slower games run on the CV emu. I seem to remember the music was off too due to the speed. I haven't used it in awhile though as I switched back to Xmess because of the speed.
Ok that's good to know. i will give a try to xmess to see the difference. thanks :)

zx-81 said:
DaveC said:
Ok that's good to know. i will give a try to xmess to see the difference. thanks :)

Thanks again for all of your great work.

Here is a link to the version I am talking about:

http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,5,1128

Thank you for all your hard work, zx-81. Keep it up. :D

It's nice to see more emulators for the GP2X (as well as updates to the previous ones). :lol:

Great! Thank you so much for all of these fantastic emulators and hard work.

Rejoice! Thanks for porting this :)

Apart from the aforementioned Time Bandit, I'm also looking forward to a little Draconian and Mr Dig. It takes me back :)

slaanesh said:
DaveC said:
I was just wondering, hate to ask but did you have any plans to update your ColecoVision emu?

BTW - thanks for xroar! I haven't actually tried it yet as my GP2X is at home but I'm looking forward to some Time Bandit on my GP2X. :)

Slaaneshhhh I wait for Empire City thx. :rolleyes:

Ciao ;)

pomata said:
slaanesh said:
DaveC said:

Slaaneshhhh I wait for Empire City thx. :rolleyes:

Ciao ;)

Yes, I can't get it to work. It starts but that's it. Anyway, it should be playable soon. A little more patience.

Many thanks for the Dragon Emulator, can't wait to get this going.

Great to see my first computer emulated on a handheld!

Bring on cashman, donkey kong, time bandit etc.

[OT]
[Sublimal message]
slaanesh said:
Yes, I can't get it to work. It starts but that's it. Anyway, it should be playable soon. A little more patience.
(remember Rygar too...)
[/Sublimal message]

[/OT]
:D

Does this port support cassette files? I didn't have a disk drive for my Dragon, so all of the games I've converted are in .CAS format. If it does, where should the .CAS files be stored, and how do you load them?

Looks like a great port, though!

EDIT: (Digs around in the source...) Tape code is still in there, but it looks like it's not exposed via the GUI yet.

ant512 said:
Does this port support cassette files? I didn't have a disk drive for my Dragon, so all of the games I've converted are in .CAS format. If it does, where should the .CAS files be stored, and how do you load them?

Looks like a great port, though!

EDIT: (Digs around in the source...) Tape code is still in there, but it looks like it's not exposed via the GUI yet.
I've commented out the tape code since it doesn't work on the PSP (it needs to link with a sound/audio lib that i haven't compiled). You may try to use the windows version, save a "state" and try to reload it in this emulator.

Back