Gp2x Emulator Situation

C

codeninja

GPH overplayed emulator card probably that in their Korean official website, people started to complain. In fact, GP2x won't come with ANY emulators. The situation will be similar to GP32, except GPH made it sound like you will be able to start emulating right off the bat, whereas the real situation is that you have to wait til homebrew emulators to show up. Recently, GPH denied any direct involvement in emulator developments that made quite a few people upset in that website.

cant say that im supprised, when it was mentioned though a load of people just told me that emulators are legal and shut up as GPH have nothing to worry about......

you're talking crap.... Many developers including reesy and squidge have devkits and are developing for them right now.

codeninja posted on Oct 30 2005 at 03:09 PM said:
GPH overplayed emulator card probably that in their Korean official website, people started to complain. In fact, GP2x won't come with ANY emulators. The situation will be similar to GP32, except GPH made it sound like you will be able to start emulating right off the bat, whereas the real situation is that you have to wait til homebrew emulators to show up. Recently, GPH denied any direct involvement in emulator developments that made quite a few people upset in that website.

I don't understand why you thought that the thing would have emulators included? Did the GP32 come with emulators?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I have a dev kit but I don't have a windows compiler as there are only linux compilers currently.

This is a hilarious thread. I mean to think ANYONE would think that GPH had anything to do with the emulators is just flat out ridiculous. They weren't going to ship the thing with emulators to begin with, they;re just clarifying that fact that so many people never seemed to understand from the beginning.

It was never going to come with them, all the ones they were talking about were the ones WE are talking about on these very forums, They can have NO direct involvment with the creation or distribution of any emmulator without a licence which they mentioned they might try but was ultimately going to be too expensive for them anyway.

All gp32 owners know better (or should know better) that the gp2x will not have emulators included on the package. If it is included I would be very very surprised.

I suppose its almost our responsiblity to educate the non gp32 owners of what they can expect when purchasing the gp2x. thats my 2 cents.

evening2005 posted on Oct 30 2005 at 03:31 PM said:
I don't understand why you thought that the thing would have emulators included? Did the GP32 come with emulators?

I think the point is that it is all very well for a bunch of clued-up people (particularly those who already have a GP32) to know the score. However that marketing stuff I remember reading did seem to imply that you could just run all this stuff straight out of the box <_< which is a little cheeky.

How successful do you want this thing to be?? because if it is quite -> very successful you will see a lot more newbies on forums like this asking questions that may annoy but they have a perfect right to.

If it becomes a commodity (a handy little media and game player) rather that a hobbiest thing then it should basically do the stuff advertised straight out of the box IMHO.

Before I get flamed I should point out that I knew what I was getting in a GP32 but imagine if was on the shelves at christmas like the GBA to be brought for peoples kids or teenagers (most would end up in the back of a cupboard unused, due to lack of knowledge and initial dissapointment).

Alpha2 posted on Oct 30 2005 at 03:47 PM said:
This is a hilarious thread. I mean to think ANYONE would think that GPH had anything to do with the emulators is just flat out ridiculous. They weren't going to ship the thing with emulators to begin with, they;re just clarifying that fact that so many people never seemed to understand from the beginning.

Read my previous post. In the grown up world of marketing that is GPH mistake NOT the average ANYONE.

I am sure that some at GPH who is looking at this from a business point of view doesn't think it is hilarious.

Or oh how 1337 we are not to fall for that mistake ;)

It's not the issue of being a newbie, it should be common sense that no one includes and emulator without licencing fees which frankly makes emulators make no sense. Magic Engine is the most stupid thing I've ever seen, paying 30 bucks for an enulator? I'm sorry, no. Yes it plays pretty much everything perfectly but I'll be damned before I pay for it. But the reason why they make you pay for it is because they actually got a licence from NEC.

It dosent matter what platform it is you can't expect anyone to sell their system WITH emulators and not expect a lawsuit yet I counted a half dozen threads in the GPH suggestion forum asking them what emulators they will have availible dispite there being atleast half as many threads telling people they were never the ones responsible for them!

If you get emulators with the system it's only because the distrubuters like Craigix tossed them in the box before they sent it to you.

Goity posted on Oct 30 2005 at 04:29 PM said:
you're talking crap.... Many developers including reesy and squidge have devkits and are developing for them right now.

Goity,

If you think anybody working on the GP2X now is doing so in any kind of 'official' capacity for GPH you are sadly mistaken.

GPH provided some review units in Korea and outside that have ended up in some devs hands and Craigix (owner of GBAX) has been passing some units out to devs but these have been passed out on a 'no strings' basis (largely based on GP32 contributions in the past) and people are working on this for free and without any kind of ties to GPH or GBAX but rather they are doing it ‘for the hell of it’.

The GP2X will ship as a 'Personal Entertainment Player' with support for a wide range of media formats etc. etc. but if you want any extra goodies to use with your new toy the downloading what the community releases is just what you will be doing a-la GP32.

Reesy posted on Oct 30 2005 at 04:37 PM said:
Well I have a dev kit but I don't have a windows compiler as there are only linux compilers currently.

;), still working on that Reesy, there is always my CygWin tool-chain.

evening2005 posted on Oct 30 2005 at 08:31 AM said:
codeninja posted on Oct 30 2005 at 03:09 PM said:
GPH overplayed emulator card probably that in their Korean official website, people started to complain.  In fact, GP2x won't come with ANY emulators.  The situation will be similar to GP32, except GPH made it sound like you will be able to start emulating right off the bat, whereas the real situation is that you have to wait til homebrew emulators to show up.  Recently, GPH denied any direct involvement in emulator developments that made quite a few people upset in that website.

Their advertisement in Korea definitely implied that. Now they're saying GP2x is PEP with gaming 'capabilities'. Who cares about PEP aspect of it; it's just a bonus feature, any way. Doesn't it sound like some other handheld console released recently? ;)

hmmm i don't remember having heard GPH telling about emulators themselves,

LIK-SANG did, by saying that CD full of emus would be provided, and that surprised me :p
but gph ....

The PSP is advertised as playing movies, but it doesn't come with any.

Look, if GPH really did include emulators then Nintendo et al would do everything posible to try and shut them down (legal or not). It's just not worth the risk -- and besides, by the time you get the unit there will probably be new versions of the emulators anyway :p

Why should I have to pay for something being given away for free else where? would you buy a Bike form one place when another place is offering perfectly good bikes right next door?

Lik Sang is partly confused. GPH never said the disk would feature emulators they only said applications and (I think) Games, likely small simple ones developed inhouse. Emulators is just an assumption someone made and other people built on that.

Granted I do argee there's a lot of misreported information and GPH isnt doing a whole lot to fix that when they put things like
GAME: SNES, MAME, etc
or
Meet the exclusive GP2X games along with abundant emulators such as MAME, SNES, Genesis, PC Engine etc
right there on their own site. I dont have a problem with them saying "it plays emulators!" as long as they explain where those come from so we can avoid threads like this one.

Also the original plan WAS for this to be mainly a PMP with gaming capabilities. It's easier to sell in Korea as a PMP that way than the other way around.

Put a GBA emulator with a console and you can guarantee people will say it's encouraging piracy, as you obviously can't use the original cartridges, so have to use downloaded roms; and downloading roms for a system that is still making money for it's creator is bad, mmkay?

Imho too many people are viewing the GP2x by prism of the GP32. It's only me thinking that GP2x is a pretty attractive on its other merits? I can imagine someone who will buy the GP2x for a media playing alone.

Radek posted on Oct 30 2005 at 04:58 PM said:
Imho too many people are viewing the GP2x by prism of the GP32. It's only me thinking that GP2x is a pretty attractive on its other merits? I can imagine someone who will buy the GP2x for a media playing alone.

I have a friend who's buying it just to read e-books on. That's it. If it does other things, great, but as long as that works he's a happy customer. My girlfriend said the same thing, but she doesn't have the money to pick one up of her own.

Ravnos, that's.... very strange. I can't really imagine that.

That said, I imagine ebooks will be used as much as anything else by myself, especially since there's already a PDF reader working... Having the Risus Companion and Pokethulhu around anywhere is nice. That with reading for pleasure and school makes that a valid use, though I can still hardly imagine buying it <em>just</em> for that.

Back