Gp2x Emulator Situation

Prothall posted on Oct 30 2005 at 06:16 PM said:
Ravnos, that's.... very strange. I can't really imagine that.

That said, I imagine ebooks will be used as much as anything else by myself, especially since there's already a PDF reader working... Having the Risus Companion and Pokethulhu around anywhere is nice. That with reading for pleasure and school makes that a valid use, though I can still hardly imagine buying it <em>just</em> for that.

I'll probably be reading a lot of ebooks on it, too. I can't bring any devices to work that are capable of connecting to the internet, so it will be the only way for me to read my collection of ebooks and provide me with something to do during the times when I don't have any calls. I'm mainly getting it to spur me to program, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
The emulator where on the site from the first moment.
In the feature list they where around position 3 and I do not remember of any commercial games, named in the same list.
GPH has made a banner of shipping an emulator machine from the first second, because they knew that would Hype it to the skylimit.
I agree that would mean them shutting down after thirty seconds, but the point is that they made believe something and the taking it back, that is a fact.
I do not have a problem with that. By the time the GP2X will hit the shelves there will be at least the NeoGeo Cd ready and maybe some other porting in the near future.
Relax guys, it is our daily GP32 life that starts all over again. Am I I the only one finding it Fantastic? ;)

capricorn posted on Oct 31 2005 at 02:01 AM said:
I do not have a problem with that. By the time the GP2X will hit the shelves there will be at least the NeoGeo Cd ready and maybe some other porting in the near future.
Relax guys, it is our daily GP32 life that starts all over again. Am I I the only one finding it Fantastic? ;)
i do cause that was the only reason i wasnt gonna get a gp2x on launch cause of the lack of software for it (but all of the games being deved fo it all sound cool)

and the thing about emulators should be like this...GPH arent making them or distributing them but they are incouriging them...and the last time i checked thats not a crime....jus because it says it can play emus dosent mean it comes with them (even tho thats already been covered)

but i still dont get why emulators are illegal because most emus are for old consoles that companies like nintendo and sega dont even make a prophet out of (i say that out of common sense and that i havent heard of ninendo still hyping the nes hardware and game sales)

Emulators aren't illegal if you own the system. If the system is made from standard parts, the emulator isn't illegal even if you don't own the system.

Roms are the part that can be illegal, they don't include or talk about roms, of course.

Also theres some legal crap where even if they don't make a profit they figure they're losing "potential profit/audience" by piracy...its mind boggling.

Blah posted on Oct 31 2005 at 08:28 AM said:
Emulators aren't illegal if you own the system. If the system is made from standard parts, the emulator isn't illegal even if you don't own the system.

Roms are the part that can be illegal, they don't include or talk about roms, of course.

not only roms but also firmwares and bioses, and these things are under copyright too so that makes some emus unuseable legally (playstation , megaCD and 32x, neogeo, etc .. )

but the laws are different in every countries, in france for example, you have to right to own roms, and you have the right to use them if you own the original and if you use only one at once ; but it's forbidden to download them on internet! :D

and i think rom copiers are also forbidden by the way :p

so that's all a big bunch of hypocrisy, some games company think "if they play our games, they should pay them", even if these games are not exploitation anymore, they don't like seeing them used for free :p
but peoples think "if i have to pay, i'll not play:p" (and it's a quite legitimate reaction since many of us have already paid some games more than once :p )

so we can't go anywhere with this until the game maker die or whatever :p

Alpha2 posted on Oct 30 2005 at 05:07 PM said:
Magic Engine is the most stupid thing I've ever seen, paying 30 bucks for an enulator? I'm sorry, no. Yes it plays pretty much everything perfectly but I'll be damned before I pay for it.
I payed for magic engine, years ago. It's by far the best PCE emu out there as you admit by your comment. Why is it not worth paying for? I couldn't give a shit if its got an NEC licence behind it or not, its just so good its worth buying.

This whole "emulators should be free because we all steal the roms we play on them" argument is so old. If a programmer is talented enough to write a program that I don't want to do without; I am willing to pay for it, end of story.

It's people with that attitude that killed no$gmb (another emu I payed for). Jeeze I was fucked off when he stopped releasing that cos of lamers spreading the keyfile.

/rant

Empyre posted on Oct 31 2005 at 03:24 PM said:
Alpha2 posted on Oct 30 2005 at 05:07 PM said:
Magic Engine is the most stupid thing I've ever seen, paying 30 bucks for an enulator? I'm sorry, no. Yes it plays pretty much everything perfectly but I'll be damned before I pay for it.
I payed for magic engine, years ago. It's by far the best PCE emu out there as you admit by your comment. Why is it not worth paying for? I couldn't give a shit if its got an NEC licence behind it or not, its just so good its worth buying.

This whole "emulators should be free because we all steal the roms we play on them" argument is so old. If a programmer is talented enough to write a program that I don't want to do without; I am willing to pay for it, end of story.

It's people with that attitude that killed no$gmb (another emu I payed for). Jeeze I was fucked off when he stopped releasing that cos of lamers spreading the keyfile.

/rant
smygb was better

Goemon4 posted on Oct 31 2005 at 07:19 AM said:
capricorn posted on Oct 31 2005 at 02:01 AM said:
i do cause that was the only reason i wasnt gonna get a gp2x on launch cause of the lack of software for it (but all of the games being deved fo it all sound cool)

and the thing about emulators should be like this...GPH arent making them or distributing them but they are incouriging them...and the last time i checked thats not a crime....jus because it says it can play emus dosent mean it comes with them (even tho thats already been covered)

but i still dont get why emulators are illegal because most emus are for old consoles that companies like nintendo and sega dont even make a prophet out of (i say that out of common sense and that i havent heard of ninendo still hyping the nes hardware and game sales)

Nes classics for gameboy advance...
Sonic Mega collection- various platforms
Revolution downloads....
etc.
etc.

Jarska333 posted on Oct 31 2005 at 05:18 PM said:
Say, if you could download SNES roms legally from Ninty's site, how much would you be willing to pay?
£1.50 at the max. though personally I think points would work well. I like that they are doing this with the revvo.

Say, if you could download SNES roms legally from Ninty's site, how much would you be willing to pay?
Depends on the rom, if it was a good game i'd pay a couple of quid, if it was ok £1 and if it was crap I wouldn't buy it.

Of course if they did that they would need to produce and give away a SNES emu that ran everything perfectly, it would be the only emu that could play thier roms but it should be able to play non encrypted ones too. Kinda iTunes for SNES Roms.

Empyre posted on Oct 31 2005 at 11:16 AM said:
Of course if they did that they would need to produce and give away a SNES emu that ran everything perfectly, it would be the only emu that could play thier roms but it should be able to play non encrypted ones too. Kinda iTunes for SNES Roms.

The way you put it as the iTunes of SNES roms makes me think it could work, but then knowing that roms are a much higher level then mp3's I highly dought many people would buy them. Heck if I can have this perfect emu and play all the games I want for free.... its just hard to see.

Well, it's one string in the Rev's bow - at least. I think the controller is what it's mostly about: the backwards compatability is just extra niftiness :)

the rev controler is cool but isnt the whole rev concept itself?

PSyMastR posted on Oct 31 2005 at 06:51 PM said:
What is quid? Is it 1 pound?

Saying 50 quid is like saying 50 bucks here in North america.

When they say quid, they mean pounds
When we say bucks, we mean dollars, not deer.

Back