Gp2x Featured On Indigital

Game_over

Game Developer
About 16:00 minutes in to the show they share they're thoughts on what they think of the gp2X. It is a pretty okay reveiw taken from a very mainstream standpoint but he really likes it and he praises it's potential since it is linix based and openscource saying that it can only go up from here.

Indigital is one of many show found on Revision3 which also host the insanly popular Diggnation pod/vidcast; largely made from ex-techtv employees.

(Link)

http://revision3.com/indigital/2006-09-26

It could've been a much better review if they had done some more research on it, but I guess it's the lack of time since they had included so many other devices as well.

The crashing part was exaggerated, if you know the "do's and dont's" with your gp2x then you can avoid at least 75% of the crashing causes, seriously ... only the battery lifespan remains an issue, but that's what we have nimh rechargeables for, right?

One last thing, I hate how people always compare the '2X with the PSP, they didn't do that with the other reviewed handhelds, and why? Cos they are not like the PSP, ... who the hell said the gp2x was? IT ISN'T!! "sigh"

done ranting now :p

"SunSpire"

you need alot of rechargeables? 2xAA NiHM 2700mAH last me a day & ahalf...although I dont game on it 24/7 , I play for a few then get back to it later

If you put in the batteries that came with the unit and they were alkaline, there was no manual to tell you to use high-amperage rechargables, and you therefore kept using fresh alkaline batteries and it kept crashing on you-- and that is what it's doing when it runs low on power-- you'd assume the system has some sort of issue with power management. The alkalines may no longer be included, but lots of people still think "What the fuck" when they put in their own AAs and they don't work properly, or the machine dies in 15 minutes.

Honestly, anyway you look at it, this is a fault in the GP2X's design. The GP32 had very similar hardware but would run happily on Alkaline cells. At the very least, a slip of paper in the box that says you MUST use high-current NiMH cells or Lithium Disposable batteries, and the same notice on the box, is a crucial measure.

The note of 'lots and lots' of rechargables made sense too. Most rechargable cells are NiMHs well under 1000mAH and last about as long as alkaline batteries do in most devices. Unless you buy the >2000mAH cells that are fairly specialized you will get shit performance with 'rechargable batteries'. Again, the buyer needs to be educated.

Secondary example from my everyday life; yesterday I bought a multimeter at Radio Shack. It didn't work. I had to dig around INSIDE THE PACKAGE for somewhere it said in TINY PRINT it needed a PRIOPRIETARY 12V BATTERY. I had to unscrew the back of the device to even install the thing, if I bought it, too. That probably voids my warranty. No mention was made on the package that it didn't come with a battery, and no requirements for the spec of battery were listed which leads a rational buyer to believe it comes with an internal cell that is meant to last for years, like a watch battery usually does. Not the case .. and I was, and still am, pissed off. I have to drive back and return the whole mess tomorrow or buy this special ridiculous battery. I imagine this is how a lot of GP2X buyers feel.

Epicenter posted on Oct 2 2006 at 10:59 AM said:
Secondary example from my everyday life; yesterday I bought a multimeter at Radio Shack. It didn't work. I had to dig around INSIDE THE PACKAGE for somewhere it said in TINY PRINT it needed a PRIOPRIETARY 12V BATTERY. I had to unscrew the back of the device to even install the thing, if I bought it, too. That probably voids my warranty. No mention was made on the package that it didn't come with a battery, and no requirements for the spec of battery were listed which leads a rational buyer to believe it comes with an internal cell that is meant to last for years, like a watch battery usually does. Not the case .. and I was, and still am, pissed off. I have to drive back and return the whole mess tomorrow or buy this special ridiculous battery. I imagine this is how a lot of GP2X buyers feel.

That's ridiculous. You should have taken it back. What a scam - sell the multimeter cheap and then probably stiff you on the battery.

Last edited by a moderator:
another classic thing that i know has happened a couple of times is that people get a gp2x and say"ah, i'm gonna get myself some good batteries - i heard you need some 2500mah if possible".

They go out and buy a 4 pack of high powered rechargeables and shove them straight into some old charger that they bought when they got their first digital camera 5 years ago.

they think "faulty gp2x" when they get barely 2 hours out of it.

Yeah he could have spent more time researching about it or at least checked out the wiki. But the review was fair and justifiable as to that's what many people experienced when they first got there system.

Oh yeah make sure you guys check out all the other shows on there, they are all availible for download in a format compatible with the GP2X (mostly mp3, and Xvid) For all of you that watched techtv should have known about this already I guess.

Is that Will Crusher from Star Trek: TNG?

I couldn't place him when I was watching it, but it's clear now...

LOL.

Plus, i noticed that he didn't actually have one of the newer versions of the system. It didn't have the cap of the MK2, and when he went into the system menu, it didn't have the LCD settings that's standard with V2.0.0 of the firmware.

And he didn't talk about the TV-out... Which was a major selling point for me, personally.

Rayek posted on Oct 2 2006 at 06:08 PM said:

Will Crusher? Who's that? There was a Wesley Crusher and a William Riker, but no Will Crusher.

Ravnos posted on Oct 2 2006 at 06:49 PM said:
Rayek posted on Oct 2 2006 at 06:08 PM said:

Will Crusher? Who's that? There was a Wesley Crusher and a William Riker, but no Will Crusher.

LOL, you're right...

Two issues with that review... the "crashing" and the batteries.

My unit isn't crashing. I've had a couple of demoscene files lock up, but not crashing. What they showed on the video look to me like weak batteries... when my battery for my laptop dies, I don't say my laptop crashed, same thing with the GP2X.

I picked up 8 batteries from WalMart, four of them are 2000mA and came with charger, $10. The other four are 2500mA and cost about $12. I keep 4 good batteries in a dinky battery holder that I purchased at Radio Shack for under $2.00 :

Radio Shack battery holder

Just cut the wires off, put some plastic or tape on the contacts so it the current path is broken and you have a great way to carry spares in your pocket. Long trips in a car or plane, no problem.

crashing and batteries... non issue IMHO.

In theory you should be putting 4.8v-ish into your machine with no regulator in the path. I'm kind of surprised the GP2X is putting up with that, unless I'm not fully understanding your setup. The DC-DC subsystem of the GP2X is not robust at all, so I'd be pretty surprised if it regulated the incoming power at all. The fact that fluctuating voltage is visible from software, I can pretty safely assume it does not. I've also heard of people burning up their GP2X by overvolting the unit from the power jack..

Back