Gp2x Feeling Its Age

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
Well this isnt too much of I need help, mainly its me venting on my GP2X latest behaviors.

I ordered my F100 mk2 right around the time it was released. Ive used it pretty heavily, but im pretty good my elecronics, but as anything in this world its starting to wear out.
First the infamous stick has a nice dead zone now when i press left, I have to hit it just right or it doesnt happen, this is getting very annoying. So much so thoughts of moding a dpad are occuring.
Second the battery terminals are weak, basically they cant hold the batteries in well so I get a bad contacts and on some of my weaker batteries it gives up on boot up. Ive been trying to bend them back to get more pressure, but the metal is just too weak and doesnt stay in place.

Well i guess if someone can help me or has any suggestions or even if you want to vent about your own GP2X feel free to. Pandora cant come any faster...

Pickle said:
Second the battery terminals are weak, basically they cant hold the batteries in well so I get a bad contacts and on some of my weaker batteries it gives up on boot up. Ive been trying to bend them back to get more pressure, but the metal is just too weak and doesnt stay in place.
This might help with the battery tab problem.

I can't really complain about my GP2X, because all that's happened to it since I received it last February is the rubber cover for the headphone port coming off and the mini USB port turning green.

EDIT: changed head phone to headphone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my MK2 in June '06, and so far it's been treating me fine. I notice a slight deadzone on the left too, but it seems to be sporadic so I didn't give it much attention. Try this, see if it helps any.

It will be really sad if the GP2X scene will die sooner because of hardware defects than because of loss of interest.

Alex. said:
I got my MK2 in June '06, and so far it's been treating me fine. I notice a slight deadzone on the left too, but it seems to be sporadic so I didn't give it much attention. Try this, see if it helps any.

It will be really sad if the GP2X scene will die sooner because of hardware defects than because of loss of interest.

Yeah thanks for the link, I have seen that shaving the cap trick. I had forgotten about it. Im at a point where I will do anything, Im sanding that baby down tonight.
I like the idea of stuffing something between the battery contacts, just need to find something that will work.

Update: Total success. The cap shaving does appear to work. I put tin foil behind the tabs and they are giving the pressure needed. They also look like they will stay in place when i take the batteries. This should get me by until Pandora :)

well, my caps loosening, my plastic screen cover isnt on anymore (it cracked so bad i just removed it, though it seems they dont sell them anymore0, but it's still functional, and it keeps me alive on my 6-week tour of the USA.

Battery terminals - open up any remote control or whatever that uses batteries and desolder the terminal tabs; you can then desolder the ones on the GP2x and solder on the new ones.

D-pad mod - plenty of guides on this forum for doing that.

Then, your issues are resolved, good as new.

bacteria said:
Battery terminals - open up any remote control or whatever that uses batteries and desolder the terminal tabs; you can then desolder the ones on the GP2x and solder on the new ones.

D-pad mod - plenty of guides on this forum for doing that.

Then, your issues are resolved, good as new.
Check my last update, the cap mod seems to work and putting some tin foil wads behind the tabs is working well.

Recently I got same problem with brand-new mk2 cap. I just changed cap and it worked. It should be a damaged or defective plastic parts on cap itself.

Back