Gp2x Hardware Problems

Josh certainly doesn't want the GP2X to fail, mate.

Hopefully the issue is confined to the beta units.

So far all *first-hand* reports from here from Koreans have said there were NO hardware faults at all (only firmware), and 2500mAh batteries last 6 hours.

Only the 2nd-3rd-4th hand reports have said otherwise. So let's wait and see for ourselves...

Actually, I read at least a dozen people saying their 2500mAh batteries last 2~2.5 hours, and I read 1 person saying his unit lasted 6hours. Actually, if you count in the one who said he buffed off the battery connectors with sand paper, that would be 2.

Regarding headphone jack, I saw the picture and it did look like the jack was not installed to withstand the pressure from inserted headphone (connector pins are installed sideway not against the direction of insertion).

Funny thing is that those who opened up their units in search of answers are usually ones that came up with solutions and tell others to wait for firmware updates. So, don't mix them up with usual whiners.

One guy just confirmed his unit plays movie during 3.4hours with 2x2500.
(Isn't it okay with no power-save function? :unsure: )

As the speaker is one of the power-drainer, he is now testing again with earphone.

Cross my fingers.

EDIT: It is posted on GPain.com forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Gaterooze. Sand Man, Never have I a stated or thought the the GP2X would fail. I have tried to do what i can for the GP2X. I think that the GP32 created an awesom commuity much like the Commodore Amiga did in its day. And I want the GP2X the continue were the GP32 got to. And for the record I run everyday and untill last week my trusty GP32 was my mp3 player of choice. (Finally gave in and got a an ipod nano). So for all users thinking that GP2X will be your games/movies and music player, take care of that headphone socket or like myself just resolder it.

Little question for you all: Would anyone be willing to pay an extra US$20 to US$40 more for a well-built unit? I would. And thats probably about all it would take them.

Rushing is bad. Don't rush companies, programmers, or dentists, or you'll be sorry. :)

personally i wasn't expecting the first release of the gp2x to be perfect. the gp32 went thru 3 revisions before it finally reached it's current state. i wager that the gp2x will go thru revisions as well, especially if the aforementioned becomes a big deal. stay tuned, refinements will take place. when all that happens is another question only GPH can address.

Not concerned with any software issues but definitely worried about the headphone socket as it is something that is not easily fixable by everyine. Hopefully it is confined to a small percentage of units or fixed before any outside media (eg Slashdot) finds out...

For the people who bought from gbax.com (or any other site wih a warranty) and are worried - I wouldn't be. We get a 1-year warranty, meaning that people who get crappy units will be able to send them back... And if it becomes too much of a problem, something will probably be done because of the ridiculous return rate.

few people have problem in earphone connection.

and mine has long batter time.

and there are ALMOST NONE DEAD PIXELS!

hardware bugs are few. it's just factiory inferiority rate.

gp2x is much better than other console's like *cough psp *cough first release :)

For the people who bought from gbax.com (or any other site wih a warranty) and are worried - I wouldn't be. We get a 1-year warranty, meaning that people who get crappy units will be able to send them back... And if it becomes too much of a problem, something will probably be done because of the ridiculous return rate.

The main problem with this is the cost of postage. I paid $260 for the unit from GBAX including postage, and if I have to ship it back to get something fixed, it'll cost me another $40, which I don't have after buying both an SD card and several good batteries.

Certainly, I don't want GP2x to fail; I've invested too much to want that. :) BUT, I also subscribe to the idea of no one deserves anything. You HAVE to earn everything you have/want. GPH is going through the painful "earning" the customer's trust process. Have I been disappointed so far? Yes, but at the same time I wish the best luck for them because the promise of GP2x is too great to fail! GP2x forever.

The main problem with this is the cost of postage. I paid $260 for the unit from GBAX including postage, and if I have to ship it back to get something fixed, it'll cost me another $40, which I don't have after buying both an SD card and several good batteries.
What? :eek: I bought from gbax and payed less than $200 after shipping... And my 1 GB SD card was free after rebates...

Why would it cost $40 to ship back to him, anyway? Wouldn't it only be like $10?

$260 AUD for console - works out to be $194 USD
$50 for 6 rechargable Energiser 2500mah's with charger
$50 for 1GB SanDisk SD card

$360 AUD or $270 USD total

And, our postal system sucks, so I expect it will cost $30-$40 to send it back, unless I send it by ship which will take a month or two.

I think mine ended up being about $360 AUD approx with a 1gb SD card.

BTW: Iorgy77, sorry for for my stupid post earlier. I'm not a 13 year old :) I am just sick of these threads because these problems are minor and people don't seem to realise it. Plus that thing about GPH doing something illegal in Korea, I don't know if it's true, none of us do, but it just sounds like bad rumour.

I think mine ended up being about $360 AUD approx with a 1gb SD card.

BTW: Iorgy77, sorry for for my stupid post earlier. I'm not a 13 year old :) I am just sick of these threads because these problems are minor and people don't seem to realise it. Plus that thing about GPH doing something illegal in Korea, I don't know if it's true, none of us do, but it just sounds like bad rumour.

No problem man, I can't wait to get mine either, but I would rather any info false or otherwise be out in the open. We will find out about any real problems soon enough I guess.

pooloo2 is a reliable source, he has been translating Korean news for ages on these boards. I don't see why people keep going off at Koreans bringing us news....

I have mine pre-ordered and I am not cancelling but i still want to know what is being said on the Korean forums.

Thanks Pooloo2

Thank you. :)

I just stopped posting news as there was nothing significant. Everything was over and the units were ready to ship. The waiting was over so the need for info was less desperate.

All the important news will soon happen here once the units are in our hand.
The scene is here, with us. Not in Korea. ;)

Cheers. It's time for me to fade away. lol

polooo2 said:
How would they know the soldering is shotty if they haven't opened up the GP2X which they shouldn't do?
What would prevent anyone from opening it if they wanted to find out?

It's called voiding the warranty.
I... don't understand... doesn't everyone crack open new hardware to take a peek at it? (especially with rumors of poor manufacturing). yes, yes, void warranty, etc etc.. but i mean.. i think *every* other console out there has mods that involve taking off the back of the case and having a peek (afterburner for gba, modchips for ps/other consoles, handfuls of other GBA additions).

there is no end to chatter about rewriting the firmware from scratch, but people are scared of a couple of screws? psh.

edit: I am not saying that it has poor manufacturing, so please don't attack (At least, not on that point), just that the idea has been brought up.

Back