Gp2x Joystick Response Problem....

TJFBryant

Island Man with Pandora in my pocket
I was playing metal slug on my gp2x when all of a sudden my joystick was completely useless. No control or response. Just then I had a thought....it seems as though the stem of the plastic joystick rubs against the outer black plastic molding of the gp2x. For some reason (maybe if you press too hard) the joystick drops down further rubbing even more and causing the stick to be nonresponsive. Therefore (ok already I am gettin to it) B) I believe widening the outer molding with a low grade sand paper, or dremel will do just the trick.

I removed the plastic stick and used just the metal rod to play some games. I found the control to be more accurate and much more responsive.

GPH said they are looking into getting alternative joysticks for the gp2x. If this is the case, I am all for it. In the mean time...I ll widen the case molding, and see how it all plays out.

It doesn't correct the deadzone, but it does seem to help the accuracy and control.
Just FYI

I still love my gp2x and man I can't wait to further mod this little beast.

I did an extreme mod involving cutting the metal down and gluing on moded thin stick, real low rider style, it now feels and plays as fast as the gp32 one, no more moving it 1cm, more like 1mm :)

glued on a modded think stick. Can you describe the "thin stick"....I think I would like to try the same.

craigix posted on Dec 2 2005 at 06:01 PM said:
I did an extreme mod involving cutting the metal down and gluing on moded thin stick, real low rider style, it now feels and plays as fast as the gp32 one, no more moving it 1cm, more like 1mm :)

I hope you documented this procedure for the less skilled among us (meaning me). :) And if not, then I hope the next person to do it documents it...

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix posted on Dec 3 2005 at 01:01 AM said:

from 1cm to 1 mm?

I want the same :blink: pls tell more details

craigix posted on Dec 3 2005 at 05:06 PM said:
Actually I'm not sure if i should be encouraging such mutilation ;)

If I was you I would STRONGLY discourage it ;) cus if someone does it and kills their GP2X and you supplied it they'll say you shouldnt really refuse a replacement because you condoned such actions...

but if you wish to put a massive disclaimer at the top of a page with a HOW-TO I wouldnt mind looking ;)

craigix posted on Dec 3 2005 at 01:01 AM said:

That makes perfect sense. The shorter the stick the smaller the throw distance. That helps the dead zone but what about the fact that diagonals are too easy to hit? You may need to mod the switches to fix that right?

Am I the only one happy with the deadzone and the original stick? I couldn't test it in games, however in the test mode it's clear, the firmware isn't acurate or perhaps too accurate in checking the microswitches. That's why sometimes moving right ends in moving up. Another problem with the stick however is, that you slip too easy, allthough it has some grip on it, it's pretty much useless in keeping your thump on that stick...

I am not disappointed with the deadzone or the stick either. BUT I would like to always personalize and improve or change my gp2x. I am indeed very happy with what I have.

the long throw when going from one side to the direct opposite makes me wish it had a dpad so much more.

TJFBryant posted on Dec 3 2005 at 12:54 AM said:
I removed the plastic stick and used just the metal rod to play some games. I found the control to be more accurate and much more responsive.

i used to do the same, but not for too long cuz it hurts after a while :D

craigix posted on Dec 3 2005 at 03:01 AM said:

Heh, had the same idea this afternoon ;)
Great to hear that it's working already.

DaveC posted on Dec 3 2005 at 09:06 PM said:
That makes perfect sense. The shorter the stick the smaller the throw distance. That helps the dead zone but what about the fact that diagonals are too easy to hit? You may need to mod the switches to fix that right?

The diagonals can be fixed with software optimizations, as we have more contacts we actually need.
Frodo shows pretty well how good this can be done.

Last edited:
Back