Gp2x Kernel Updater

ran the test worked fine , ran the update and it failed at 16% ... working through the unbricking guide now :/

worked great for me, i read through all the instructions (including unbricking, just to see how shitty things could get) before i dove in.

thanks robster!

i noticed my screen is more flickery after updating ... i really didn't have any reason to update ... but ... i haven't slept in over 24 hours and it seemed like the next best thing to do :wub:

Quiest posted on Dec 23 2005 at 11:12 AM said:
@zombie: Don`t use 64mb cards for upgrades, the 64mb card compatibility is switched off half way through the upgrade, which would also result in a bricked unit.
I think I send mine back to ED, he said he offers de-bricking for low and maybe he can update mine to 1.1.0 then...

Hehe, quality. Wouldn't it be best to switch off any 64MB compatibility before the upgrade? ;)

Anyway, the updater had already killed my kernel (point taken, Robster) before I got the 64MB card this morning. Now I've had to buy a SanDisk 512MB off eBay. I bet that will fail too, but I'm hoping to eat those words as soon as possible.

So am I imagining that there was talk that some GP2Xs are incapable of being upgraded, regardless of the SD card type?

Last edited by a moderator:
Must be some sort of reason why it wont work on all GP2x's.

My GP2x is from a later batch and Firmware updater worked fine.
Maybe the ones it has problems with is from a certain batch?

:lol: Success, Thanks Robster, that's the first firmware update I have been able to complete, I'll be getting a 2GB card now. :)

zombie13 posted on Dec 23 2005 at 12:07 PM said:
Hehe, quality. Wouldn't it be best to switch off any 64MB compatibility before the upgrade? ;)

Yes it would have ;) It's hard to argue the point too much though, as GPH probably isn't reading this board and therefore it won't do anything to fix it.

Anyway, the updater had already killed my kernel (point taken, Robster) before I got the 64MB card this morning. Now I've had to buy a SanDisk 512MB off eBay. I bet that will fail too, but I'm hoping to eat those words as soon as possible.
Well, if you have SD cards that don't work for the upgrade but work to play games off of them and you don't want them anymore, try putting them up for sale in the marketplace (or anywhere else, for that matter).

So am I imagining that there was talk that some GP2Xs are incapable of being upgraded, regardless of the SD card type?
I don't remember any talk of this, but if it is true and you have one you should be able to return it to whoever you bought it from..... send them an e-mail to sort it out, craigix and jr2wiss are pretty reasonable when it comes to returns.

Good luck,
-ben

worked fine for me, but seems fairly pointless (startup speed is still crap, screen is still flickery and interlaced) unless you have the TV out cable that nobody wants to sell me :^(

I think I'm going to wuss out and leave my GP2X on 1.0.1 to avoid Xmas day disappointment when I brick the unit after 15 minutes of having it...

garteth posted on Dec 23 2005 at 10:33 AM said:
I used a 64mb card with this and it worked fine
Thanks Rob.

I would like to point out that I did NOT update my Uboot, but I DID update my kernel and progs (from v1.0.0 to v1.0.1) just fine on a 64MB card.

Formatting is all well and good, but if it is partitioned it must be unpartitioned into a "floppy disk" partitionless setup BEFORE you format to fat32. (I needed to use a Suse Live CD to do that.)

I think we need to send a small (16/32mb) card with the proper update on it already in the proper format to the people who can't update.

If purchased in bulk it could be sold for $10 or $15 (shipping incl.) to people who have messed their own units.

It would be a lot cheaper than all the shipping involved when somebody messes up their firmware, SD will go through the mail with ease :D .

nubie posted on Dec 23 2005 at 10:36 PM said:
garteth posted on Dec 23 2005 at 10:33 AM said:
I used a 64mb card with this and it worked fine
Thanks Rob.

I would like to point out that I did NOT update my Uboot, but I DID update my kernel and progs (from v1.0.0 to v1.0.1) just fine on a 64MB card.

Formatting is all well and good, but if it is partitioned it must be unpartitioned into a "floppy disk" partitionless setup BEFORE you format to fat32. (I needed to use a Suse Live CD to do that.)

I think we need to send a small (16/32mb) card with the proper update on it already in the proper format to the people who can't update.

If purchased in bulk it could be sold for $10 or $15 (shipping incl.) to people who have messed their own units.

It would be a lot cheaper than all the shipping involved when somebody messes up their firmware, SD will go through the mail with ease :D .

I think that it is a good idea to sell cards that certainly work. I do think however that you need to take the following into account:
-This will not help the people with a bricked unit. ("If purchased in bulk it could be sold for $10 or $15 (shipping incl.) to people who have messed their own units.")
-Is it certain that all SD cards from a certain supplier work?
-Rob's way of updating should work for everyone who has a SD card that work with the GP2X (under Linux).
Still, I think people would like it if they could buy cards that definitely work.

I just *ucked up gp2x's kernel with this updater albeit the testflash worked ok. I have no blame but this is frustrating... Fortunately the uboot is intact so I will have to get other SD brand to finish this damn update.

No working gp2x for now for me.

This is a prize of thinking positively... yeah the test did ok then why not try to update? If I only known that damn Kingston's SD doesn't work for booting I'd not buy this SD card in the first place. :angry:

Back